Microsoft Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "sde2"

Current Employee - SDE2 in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

flexible working time, many people stay office from 10:30am to 4:00pm

Cons

tow many internal fight,
    unfair yearly review process in black box

2. "Software Developer"

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some good people to work with.

Cons

Antiquated and broken software development environment.

3. "Stay away from Bing Ads group"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good reputation in general in the industry.
    - Opens up other job opportunities in the industry.
    - If you are lucky enough to be in a group which is making money and have a really good manager who you can follow around, stay.

Cons

- Your fate is decided by your manager. If he/she doesn't like you, you can stay int he same level for several years and never get promoted because they need people who can do the less glorious work too

- Bing Ads in the bay area has some of the worst people managers. They cannot stomach critical constructive feedback. Have witnessed several of my outspoken colleagues forced out of the team.

- There is occasional evidence of racial bias in hiring and promotions. Take a look at the names of people in some of the teams, you'll clearly see this. I've been on interview panel where despite having strong hires for a person of not the same ethnic background, they were not hired. The hiring decisions are not transparent to the interview panel. It is entirely in the hands of the hiring manager.

Advice to Management

Don't go by looking at statistically biased data coming from internal HR polls. A lot more people than you realize are unhappy.

Managers literally control the fate of your career and tenure at Microsoft and they aren't audited. Embrace democracy and reduce the powers and autonomy of managers. There are many managers who abuse power. Upper management won't have a clue of any of this.

Stop copying Google and doing everything to bring 'parity' with Google. Innovate. Take bold new steps.

"Former team at Microsoft, transitioned to AOL/Verizon and then blew up"

Former Contractor - Xbox Ad Services Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Xbox Ad Services Team Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool content and some of the Jr. team members are kind, lovely people put in a terrible situation.
    At one point there was a proactive, positive member of the management team but they have exited stage right.
    Working with a dev group with some impressive proprietary skills who are great problem solvers.
    They bait you with food and fun items to try to distract you from the misery of working there.

Cons

Where do I begin..?
    This was far and away the worst job experience I have ever endured. Note I say JOB because this is not a career path.
     The management is extremely negative, focuses on stumbles and imperfections rather than innovation and growth.
    If you're outside of the small management team you have little to no control over your own destiny. The projects you work on get handed to you, the skills you develop are dictated and you're constantly threatened by a reduction or even wage garnishing. They also keep lots of people on contract in perpetuity because they never have budget for additional FTEs which means limited benefits and next to no time off.
    The job has very little flexibility compared to others besides some work from home benefits. It's common to have 10 total days off a year including sick time, jury duty, etc. I had a major family circumstance and was told I could take regular PTO but would be penalized if I let it get in the way of any more work.
    Additionally, if I took time off I would work right through it because I regularly worked 60-80 hours and had too many projects for any one individual to cover OR a week or a holiday would come up and suddenly there would be fires to put out left and right.
    Workloads were not balanced appropriately - some people had a lot more projects than others resulting in follies, mistakes and quality of work worsening over time. There was no benefit for taking on more work. Additionally, the role at the bottom of the pyramid had a disproportionate amount of critical work associated with it that resulted in less than ideal checks and balances on the projects going out.
    In sum a lot would get put on your shoulders, you would often get pinned for poor tech or decisions by leadership and the training and career growth mechanisms were abysmal.
    I feared going to work on the daily and was absolutely miserable in this role.

Advice to Management

-Don't use fear baiting tactics and power tripping to manage people.
    -Consider inspiring direct reports with management training and opportunity building.
    -Be consistent in your messaging with direct report.
    -To higher, higher management - don't put people skilled in operations but not people management in charge of a large team of people.

5. "Software engineer"

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good

Cons

Low salary and overall compensation

6. "Past its prime"

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Ability to affect billions of customers, exposure to leading-edge technologies.

Cons

Endless meetings, more politics than technology. Too many people focus on cashing in rather than building something lasting.

7. "Run!"

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cheap software is better than nothing

Cons

Your manager will cheat you out of your bonus and keep for himself and his sycophants

Advice to Management

Get rid of the douchebags

"Program Manager 2"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft offers an average salary and benefits package that includes a very good "Stay Fit" package but nothing that raises an eyebrow. The compensation bar is slowly becoming diluted. I am sure that I could get a comparable package at Amazon or Google.

Cons

Be aware that there is no preference for internal hires before external hires. You are always competing against someone else! Often times it is who you know, not what you know. You are always on guard for the "next layoff".

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at nepotism. So many times I applied for a job that was internally filled before the REQ is posted. Satya wants to lead yet middle management doesn't want to follow. Your ICs are your greatest asset!!

9. "Project Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor

Pros

Free drinks, great cafes onsite, modern interiors

Cons

contractor roles - if you get a good manager lucky, a poor one struggle through; roles are limited to specific job no room for growth,

Advice to Management

Give training to FTEs to treat contractors better

10. "Service Engineer II"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Microsoft (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, smart people. Good Mentor System.

Cons

Bad rating system and poor re-orginizations between technology groups

Advice to Management

Think before you alignt services together. And treat your employees with more respect then just being a number.

Showing 615 of 17,542 reviews