Microsoft Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0

15,621 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Growing company that is supportive with a lot of educational opportunities."

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

A positive is that they do a really good job there of recognizing people/employees when they deserve to be recognized.

Cons

I would say that I was rather impressed because the transition has been really smooth, although they were acquired recently.

Advice to Management

Atlas senior management has been great!

"Very challenging, yet big rewards. You get a chance to perform on the big stage."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You have the ability to advance vertically or laterally. You can virtually do anything you wish within the company.

Cons

As with big companies like this, it can be bureaucratic here, and management communicates changes after they have already been made.

Advice to Management

Listen to and empower the account management team as they are the closest to the customer.

"It can be a challenging job but it does have a good work life balance."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The salary is good, the benefits, and the culture is relaxed. Everyone seems like they want you to succeed at work.

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention currently.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Training and Vacation.

Cons

Some of the commitments are a waste of personal time.

Advice to Management

Remove commitment like participate in Microsoft Technology communities. After putting in 40-45 hours a week and then the training required every quarter there isn't enough time for family because of the commitments like the one stated before.

"A great place to creativly work if you can handle the pressure."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Benifits, Challenges, ability to create your own solutions. Manager allows you to creativly solve your problems and steps in when you need assistance. You are treated with respect. You can be blunt and honest. Everyone has a seat at the table when you are working on a project. Mistakes are seen as learning opportunities and not held against you (as long as you dont make the same one 2x.)

Cons

Lots of Stress/pressure. Tight deatlines. Cross-group communicaiton breakdowns sometimes.

Advice to Management

Good job.

"Amazing opportunites await you at Microsoft (even after you land a job)"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft fosters an environment of career advancement and personal growth. Movement between divisions (products, HR, marketing, etc.) is encouraged as is training. I started as a tester and have gained the skills (thanks to their training and "stretch assigments" to move into a marketing role. The health care benefits are extraordinary: No copay for doctor visits or prescriptions; coverage for many "alternative" or "complementary" care types (e.g., accupuncture); and substantial mental health coverage.

Cons

The annual review process is tough but I do believe it's necessary. Throughout the year you make commitments about the work you will complete. Then you are evaluated against those commitments. Sometimes it's tough because of switching priorities but it has always been fair. You are always expected to go above and beyond those comittments. But I think that's part of what make Microsoft great and its people greater.

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing, especially your efforts to encourage, recognize, and reward innovation.

"Come work at Microsoft if you're smart, passionate, hard working, creative and customer focused"

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great way to learn about many areas. Your reputation is portable from areas as diverse as gaming, enterprise software, mobile software etc. Lots of freedom. Smart, dedicated people. Great benefits and very profitable company.

Cons

commute is getting tough these days.

Advice to Management

Please drive the stock price up higher.

"Microsoft, what a great place to work."

Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Lead in Redmond, WA

Pros

Among the best reasons to work at Microsoft are the people you get to work with. By surrounding yourself with highly talented, passionate, and very smart people, you'll find you learn a large amount about making great software. I truly appreciate the work ethic and care many of my co-workers put into our products. We really strive to make the best software we can. Other reasons it is a great place to work include the beautiful Seattle area, amazing health benefits, and the numerous opportunities to get involved with others who share common interests.

Cons

Personally, I'd like to try out a smaller company at some point in my life. While Microsoft is very large, and has many opportunites to choose from in almost any technical area, I'd like to try out the small business scene. The base pay is greater than the average software development job within the US, but by no means is near the top. I do believe however that the bonus, awards, work/life balance, and health benefits do outweight the lower wage.

Advice to Management

I believe we've done a lot to reorganize to set a stronger focus in many areas. I believe every estabilished company needs to continue to reinvent itself to stay on the edge of software. My advice to Senior Management would be to continue to drive focus down to the lowest levels, continue to research and try new things, and continue to grow talented employees from within.

"Hands down the best company to work for - if you don't mind the rain."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Tons of product areas at this company so you can easily find the group which suits you the best. Xbox games, MSN, Windows, SQL, Visual Studio, Home Entertainment, Privacy/Security, Entertainment, Autos, Mobile, etc, etc. etc.... I've worked at Hewlett Packard, and Google, and have friends at IBM and Intel and nothing beats Microsoft in this regard.

Cons

You need to be in Redmond for maximum visibility within the company for promotions, and Redmond is COLD and RAINY all winter long... We seem to be growing a little too fast lately. 40,000 in Redmond is a bit too much.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, lets buy Yahoo! asap...

"A great internship experience."

Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Programming Writer in Redmond, WA

Pros

All people are helpful. We create products that impact the world. During my 3-month internship, I learned more than one academic year in college.

Cons

No, I don't really think there's any downside.

Advice to Management

This is a great company. I just hope everybody can keep up the great work and energy like ever.

Showing 15,621 of 17,279 reviews