Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Cons

"SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

An internship at Microsoft has been a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pay and benefits for interns is better than most other internships. Above this, however, the way in which Microsoft structures their internships is very refreshing compared to past internships I've had. Intern projects at Microsoft are incredibly well thought out and are designed so that you can complete them during the summer, make an impact, and not have to learn every intricacy of the product you are working on.

As for working for Microsoft in general, everyone seems to be very happy with their jobs and I have yet to see much that would make me want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a negative, but I would say that your experience here, much like at other companies, is very much dependent on your group and the people you work with. There of course have been a few stories of interns who work for groups they simply don't like. For the most part, however, the groups are all very enthusiastic and fun to work with.

Advice to Management

I was probably not at the company long enough to make a reasonable assessment of Senior Management at Microsoft. Although I can say that everyone I have had contact with that is in a management position above me has been nothing but enjoyable.

2. "A Good Place for a Start"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great place for an internship. Allows you to get real world experience and make a difference. The work is challenging, guided while not being too stifiling. HR works well with the interns, ensuring that they are taken care off. But with so many interns (and regular employees), "things" are bound to happen. While definitely not the best in the industry, the benefits are decent enough.

Cons

Too big. Small fish in a big pond complex. Sometimes you wonder how much you can climb. Some people may be arrogant, which can be a bit of a turnoff sometimes.

And of course: the stigma of the evil empire.

Advice to Management

Be more open and transparent with the rest of the company.

"Good place to be an intern, but maybe it's better to work elsewhere..."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

- Great technologies (you know that you are working on products that affects the life of millions of people)
    - Good benefits package
    - Opportunities for career growt and advancement
    - Great colleagues to work with, very intelligent and talented

Cons

The managers don't care for what the employees have to say about what's wrong...In the long term, this will destroy the company. Actually, sometimes they even complain with you if you talk to them about what you think is wrong in the company...
    There isn't a very good Work/Life balance

Advice to Management

Take your time to hear what the employees have to say...

5. "Microsoft, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

The people are simply amazing. The coworkers are friendly, helpful and easy-going. You will often see people helping each other out with issues and answering questions, even if it means taking time out of their schedule There is little office politics and one's hard work does not go unnoticed. There is a lot of fun events designed to keep employees in the loop about upcoming Microsoft developments and technologies. There are often technical demos and presentations.

Cons

The weather in the region is pretty gloomy. It is often cloudy. Also, there are not enough women in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on interoperability and researching consumer needs.

"Great place to Intern. Disheartening as a full-time job."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great place to intern. Advise against pursuing as a full-time job over the long term. Rewards, promotions, reviews are political - not merit based. More importantly, job satisfaction has hit rock-bottom because very few groups focus on building a truly successful products. Most everyone else is following another manager's orders. Very disheartening.

Cons

The company lacks a well-defined direction. Most groups are too large and organizations are too complex that a lot of effort is being wasted. This hurts because the impact of your work ends up being fairly negligible. Too many times, when saving a project from ruin, you might contribute immensely, but it's not a feather in anyone's cap and you won't receive credit for it.

Advice to Management

Please make this a tight running ship with a clear, focused path towards increased revenue. Honor good design, pay utmost attention to usability and end-user satisfaction. Stop jumping on the latest bandwagon, and be very clear on what not to do. Lastly, weed out the PM culture that impacts work, reduces the overall quality of your product and simply wastes resources. Your developers and designers have a lot of talent - listen to them. Everyone else in the group is a liability and is only slowing Microsoft's progress.

Then again - this advice may or may not be in line with your goal of a bigger promotion/paycheck/bonus.

It shows in the final product if a company is truly passionate about making something worthwhile. Learn from Apple.

7. "Research Intern happy with experience"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great benefits, incredibly smart people, worldwide impact. You will have all the tools you need to do a great job if you have the energy and motivation. You can meet with anyone in the company if you can find time; everyone is happy to help each other out, to give feedback, to talk about career advancement. You will be paid better than at other similar companies. An internship at MSR is more structured and more productive than at IBM or Google; you will also be encouraged to publish.

Cons

The commutes around Redmond are horrible. There are no trains or light rail options; you must be on the road whether in your car, a bus, a carpool, on a bike or on foot. From near the 520 bridge in Seattle, the commute takes between 30 and 120 minutes. Microsoft's "hero" culture can be tough for new employees to navigate. Shyness will get you nowhere.

Advice to Management

Train managers to be managers. Good engineers do not automatically make good managers.

8. "Nice place to work but"

Current Employee - Intern in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Intern in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

People, benefits, work environment. I feel really good working here because the pleople are the best and I can learn a lot.

Cons

I don't agree with some things like how they treat inside vendors and interns. Our benefits here are not even close to the ones in the US have, though they are above average compared to the other companies in here. Don't agree with the way they are handling the crisis, they should be more open to the employees of what they are doing and why.

Advice to Management

To value more the employees they have.

9. "Perfect work-life balance for a tech company"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Work environment is laid back. Focus is put on your completing your work, and not when (hours of the day) you do it. Great compensation.

Cons

Pretty obvious, but when you have a company this size, bureaucracy becomes an issue.

Advice to Management

Streamline communication from employees to those higher up. Shorter release cycles.

10. "Great place to intern, not sure if I'd want to stay there"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Solid, stable company. Hey, in this economy, that's nothing to sneeze at. The impression that I have is that (in spite of the layoffs) that's still more or less the case.
    As an intern I found that the company policy was very open towards interns -- I was surprised and impressed at the knowledge available to me and the trust placed in me.

Cons

I found that
    And seriously, free food would go miles towards a more awesome work environment.
    As an intern I found that the full time employees assigned to work with me were preoccupied with their real jobs to the exclusion of helping me out; however, this might have been a peculiarity of my group or situation, or possibly I should have reached out more myself, as I know other interns did not find this to be the case.

Advice to Management

Encourage the big-picture openness of communication to filter down to the little things where it really matters.

11. "top choice for an industrial research lab"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Working at MSR is very demanding but very rewarding. You work with incredibly smart people, you are given an array of opportunities to learn and interact with all aspects of the research division and the whole company, the tech talks are great -- every day there are a few invited talks on all sorts of topics, the atmosphere is very comfortable (e.g. no overload with meetings), you set your own goals, agenda, and what you want to accomplish.

Cons

Success at MSR is measured more by papers you publish, and less by code you write. If you come in as an intern, the expectations are that you will get a paper our of your summer project. You could code up the coolest system in the world, and even it is very practically useful (even for MS products), it might not be worth much unless you can identify the novel aspects that distinguish it from prior work, write a paper about it, and publish in a top conference. This can be hard to take for people who enjoy development or who don't know how to (or don't want to) write good papers. An exception is tech transfer, but this doesn't happen as often as it should, researchers have to go out and convince product teams (who are often skeptical) to use their ideas. MSR is a great place if you like pure research, going to conferences, and implementing quick mockups and prototypes, and don't like writing and shipping production-quality code. MSR is not so great if you dislike paper deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in MSR, actively encourage and reward tech transfer. Encourage researchers to work on bigger projects with more impact even if it means that they won't be publishing papers for a while.

Showing 358 of 16,814 reviews