Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

intern Current Employees

1. "On campus interview"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern

Pros

Great training process and culture. The employers not only focus on your technical skills, but on your overall behaviors.

Cons

There is no shortcoming currently, I am just a graduate student and feel great honor to work in such a good company.

"Great place to intern"

Current Intern - User Experience Design Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - User Experience Design Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

They go all out for their interns. Had a blast this summer, gained new friends and work experience.

Cons

Less than 1% of all the interns are design interns. If MS is really investing in design, they should fully commit.

3. "Fantastic Company"

Current Intern - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mentorship
    Open door-- lots of people willing to help you learn
    Fantastic opportunities in every area of tech that you could think of
    Great benefits and a wonderful company to work for
    Lots of amazing intern events for students

Cons

Reorgs (reorganization) happen a TON
    Many teams could be more innovative in their processes, i.e., not everybody is always committed to improvement and excellence in their work.
    User experience is still often quite clunky/could have a better coherence of design

5. "Excellent Team, Interesting Work"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Before starting I got some say in choosing my team. I ended up on an excellent team with four other developers, all of whom had lots of experience. Everybody was helpful and understanding.

My manager gave me interesting work and freedom to develop however I liked.

Our team was fast-paced and each developer had visible contributions with very low time to production.

Cons

Microsoft is a big company. I talked to other interns and full time employees and many teams have to deal with and support poorly documented legacy code/systems, and frequently there is a lot of bureaucracy. Some teams have to wait months before their finished features go into production.

There is some internal tension between competing teams, even within the company

Advice to Management

keep moving in the current direction. Ensure that developers feel listened to and eliminate some of the bureaucracy. Having multiple VPs sign off on a code change doesn't necessarily mean it is any less likely to fail.

6. "Intern review"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably the best intern salary compared to Google/Apple/Amazon especially given that in Washington prices and taxes are lower. Subsidized housing

Cons

Tools are definitely not very good, build system, source control etc etc etc. But this is going to better soon I think

Advice to Management

Become more agile and faster, use more open-source software, bring free food please as Google does.

7. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

You work on real life projects and have the opportunity to make a real impact.

Cons

No cons really. Its an amazing company!

8. "review title"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

High quality research, involved mentors

Cons

Lack of cross-group meetings, need to use windows (?)

9. "Program Manager Intern"

Current Employee - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

The company is extremely stable long term. It seems like a great place to settle down. Also, Microsoft is so big, you'll find someone doing just about everything in software development. Movement is easy, if you look for it, and you get to work with a lot of great people

Cons

The company is sometimes a bit too big. You can see how the cogs turn a bit slowly at times. This also means the company has accumulated a lot through the years, which makes fixing issues extremely hard at times.

Advice to Management

Reorg less and make onboarding less painful. Things sometimes change too often for anything useful to get done.

10. "Bureaucratic, reliant on ancient protocol and values, but so rich they bribe me to stay."

Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are great. They understand the direction such a large, heavy corporation needs to take. They are candid with the reality of the company yet work hard to make it better. The pay is great, the benefits are great for full-time employees (health insurance, 401k, etc.). Program Managers (what my internship was in) have a lot of interesting tasks to do, and it changes every day

Cons

I'm just a PM intern, and this status makes some people believe - particularly people in sales, marketing, design, and non-engineering roles whom I've had to deal with - that they can overrule me. I am young but very, very familiar with the technology space. They don't take you seriously here unless you're 50 years old and have tenure, even if your protocols and infrastructures are so outdated that internal employees call them "atrocious." Let's take TechNet for example - the worst documentation library of all the tech giants. It is unreadable, and the documentation teams at Microsoft are so unfit for writing because they are not given access to resources such as test devices and software. Marketing people are completely closedminded and think their strategies actually work! Our marketing strategy is grabbing ahold on the Office ship and hoping it never sinks. Many older employees who have been around for a long time are unwilling to change and progress. I might be an intern - but if you want Microsoft to be hip and at least not a 2004 product, you have to start listening to younger folks.

Advice to Management

Lay off some of the tenure folks that sit around and demand that their protocol and opinions be followed. They're not with the new age of technology and never will be. Give the documentation team resources so they're actually qualified to write documentation. Hire better UI/UX designers.

"Best Internship Ever"

Current Intern - Explorer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Explorer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The teams seem to all have a good dynamic about them, with people always wanting you to achieve your best. Everyone is helpful, and willing to share their knowledge. It makes for a great environment.

Cons

I haven't really encountered any cons about working at Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Showing 87 of 16,325 reviews