Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

intern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "OK SDE internship at Microsoft"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation; ease of movement among teams in the company; management is fairly transparent with regards to feedback; if you seek a structured environment, this is probably a very good place for you

Cons

Full-time employees seem obsessed with performance reviews; as an intern, I found myself explaining the basics of my project to full-time employees far more than I really should have, perhaps indicating a lack of knowledge and focus on my team; being a Microsoft employee is all about "drinking the kool-aid", that is, seeming dissatisfied with the way a team is operating is almost always met with negativity rather than constructive responses

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Software Development Intern"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The brought deadmau5 and Macklemore. Brand new computers and free soda and flexible hours. The perks of the large company are awesome like company events and gym membership.

Cons

Don't pick team/ or project for summer. Most of the products are really boring and as a result the work that they make you do is not interesting.

3. "Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere and perks. Mentorship was available and interns were given great guidance. Interns attended free concerts. My mentor gave me weekly reviews which were essential to my development and learning.

Cons

At the end of the summer when offers were given out there were some politics involved. I believe that some offers were given to those who were not the best fit for the position.

4. "Really depends on the team"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and intern perks; they really do try to make having an internship a lot of fun (probably more fun than being full-time). Seattle is a great place to spend a summer.

Cons

Old, awkward to use tools can mean you spend most of your time waiting for things to build. Some teams are so poorly organized that no one knows what the team actually does.

5. "A nice place to work, but not for everyone"

Former Intern - PM Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - PM Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They spoil their interns like crazy -- talks from management, parties, social gatherings, alumni events for your school, gifts, food, etc.

Cons

Very hierarchical, with a lot of focus on the chain of command and promotion.

Advice to Management

There are folks who thrive more on being encouraged to be their best than on being encouraged to fit HR's promotion guidelines, even if those folks are encouraged to be their best in those areas. It's about rephrasing conversations about success.

6. "Too Big"

Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

You're working for an established ocmpany

Cons

Nothing gets done because the company is so large.

Advice to Management

Continue to cutback and improve the efficiency and efficacy of your organizational structure.

7. "Bureaucratic, reliant on ancient protocol and values, but so rich they bribe me to stay."

Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are great. They understand the direction such a large, heavy corporation needs to take. They are candid with the reality of the company yet work hard to make it better. The pay is great, the benefits are great for full-time employees (health insurance, 401k, etc.). Program Managers (what my internship was in) have a lot of interesting tasks to do, and it changes every day

Cons

I'm just a PM intern, and this status makes some people believe - particularly people in sales, marketing, design, and non-engineering roles whom I've had to deal with - that they can overrule me. I am young but very, very familiar with the technology space. They don't take you seriously here unless you're 50 years old and have tenure, even if your protocols and infrastructures are so outdated that internal employees call them "atrocious." Let's take TechNet for example - the worst documentation library of all the tech giants. It is unreadable, and the documentation teams at Microsoft are so unfit for writing because they are not given access to resources such as test devices and software. Marketing people are completely closedminded and think their strategies actually work! Our marketing strategy is grabbing ahold on the Office ship and hoping it never sinks. Many older employees who have been around for a long time are unwilling to change and progress. I might be an intern - but if you want Microsoft to be hip and at least not a 2004 product, you have to start listening to younger folks.

Advice to Management

Lay off some of the tenure folks that sit around and demand that their protocol and opinions be followed. They're not with the new age of technology and never will be. Give the documentation team resources so they're actually qualified to write documentation. Hire better UI/UX designers.

8. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

HR and recruiting are really committed and invested in their interns. They offer a great experience.

Cons

Didn't have a great manager and as a PM. Bing a PM at Microsoft is a bit ambiguous.

9. "Good Place - So-So People"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company culture is great
    - The company is a fun place to be
    - new work everyday

Cons

- Low sense of urgency
    - Lack of communication on project statuses
    - Work/Life balance may be difficult for some

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. But please remove toxic people.

10. "Pretty alright place to work"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly smart full-timers
    - Nice office
    - Lots of discounts for being a Microsoft employee

Cons

- Project manager a little overbearing
    - Other interns strangely slow
    - Terrible workstation
    - Lots of irrelevant mandatory meetings

Advice to Management

The internship is marketed as "garage"-like; one would assume that there would be a lot of freeness. In reality, we are always closely monitored. It's uncomfortable!

Showing 363 of 17,261 reviews