Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft intern Reviews

Updated November 15, 2017

intern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

1. "Microsoft Research Intern"

Current Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well paid. Their summer intern project is very well organized. You can learn a lot of things here.

Cons

It is in US, guys in other countries need a VISA. Even Microsoft can help you get the VISA, it is still a pain in the neck.

2. "Short-term review"

Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

It is easier than earlier to have a great network which facilitates easy switchovers within the company

Cons

The team was mostly myopic in their design decisions, many convoluted design decisions. Manager had poor communication skills and could not handle crises or timecrunch.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in your decision cycle

3. "research intern"

Current Intern - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

very good experience. I highly suggest other people to have a research internship here.

Cons

I really can not figure out any bad experiences about this internship. All are good memories.

"Amazing internship experience"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern

Pros

Very helpful teammates
    Interesting and challenging projects for interns
    Awesome internship program (events, parties, conferences, ...)

Cons

It can take some time to get things done when working with different teams which is bad for a 12 weeks internship

Advice to Management

Intern projects should be scoped to one or two teams at most otherwise a lot of time will be spent on communication which is not ideal for a short period internship.

5. "MSR is amazing"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people in the world, and have the resources and freedom to change the world. The culture is very academic, so this is like the largest research university in the country, with more budget for projects.

Cons

Converting research into products is a difficult task at such a large company with so few products. The importance of new products means there is also considerable secrecy.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best, and giving them the funds they need to execute. I'd love to see research interns get more involved with product as well (or at least start discussions of conversion from research to product).

6. "Great perks"

Current Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, helpful relocation specialists, great benefits: free surface book, concerts, summer hotel, subsidized rental car

Cons

Bureaucracy, unhelpful recruiters, not always fun projects

Advice to Management

It is great

7. "Great Place"

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1. You're with all the brilliant minds.
    2. Good Pay
    3. Amazing gym benefits.
    4. Respect from employees of other companies.

Cons

1. No free food ( not really a con).
    2. Your overall experience depends a lot on your manager. If your manager doesn't suit you, you are doomed

8. "Software Engineer Intern - Microsoft"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great coworkers. Incredible access to resources. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Sometimes feels slow and unresponsive. They need to give up on the phone thing, for example.

Advice to Management

Listen more to what the market wants. Their is a lot of potential for Microsoft to innovate but too often they miss the boat.

9. "Great pay, great intern events"

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great intern events (Maroon 5 played during my year).

Cons

Commute to Redmond was terrible (sitting in 520 was the worst).

Advice to Management

Remove the prefixes (t-name) in intern e-mails; makes us feel we're not part of the company and reinforces the idea that our employment is ephemeral.

10. "Solid employer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked the Redmond campus. The fact that it's located in the suburbs is a big advantage, usually you need to move to a city to work for a good company. They have good benefits, like free transportation system, cheap employee restaurants, good health benefits, good compensation, etc. I really liked that they have private offices in many buildings across the campus, unfortunately they are slowly moving towards open space now.

Cons

After my internship I received a full-time offer from Microsoft. As a non-US citizen I needed a H1B visa to work in the US. After I finished my internship I had to wait for around 10 months to finally find out that my petition was not selected in the H1B lottery so there were no options for me to start working in the US in 2016. Microsoft offered me a placement in Canada instead, with a completely new compensation. They also said I would be working remotely with a Redmond team. I didn't really like the perspective of remote work from Canada for around 2 years so eventually I declined the offer. I was really surprised that they couldn't offer a position in Europe where they also have several development centers, eg. Dublin. Another thing I did not like was the fact that it was nearly impossible to get a full-time offer for a different team than the one I interned with. The team seemed rather uninteresting to me and I figured I would get bored there pretty quickly as there probably would not be much opportunity for me to learn. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Microsoft but I really think they should do something about their hiring process for people from outside of US.

Advice to Management

The company is very bureaucratic in many aspects. Also, since Microsoft so heavily hires people from all over the world, the company should be more flexible in terms of teams and locations as US work authorization gets more and more difficult to obtain.

Showing 395 of 18,498 reviews