Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft Intern Reviews

Updated 6 Dec 2019

4.5

"Great place to work if you aren't trying to work"

Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Literally no work Payment Seattle Free public transit Satya Looks really good on my resume now

Cons

Every other aspect that one could imagine. Please see advice to management.

Advice to Management

I worked at Microsoft this summer as an intern in Bellevue. I’m writing this with a friend who also worked at Microsoft. He didn’t find out his commute would be an hour an a half each way every day until the first day of work, and he did not have a car. One fun thing was during my summer, everyone moved floors, except for me and three other interns. So for 6 weeks of the summer, I was literally alone on the floor,... without an office or any adults to talk to. It was as if they forgot we existed. My boss came into work maybe 10 times over the course of the summer. It was considered a “fun” and “different” day if he was there! I personally felt very underutilized, having little to no work to do every day. My friend also had a project that took him 4 weeks to complete (the internship is 12 weeks), and 3 of those weeks were spent trying to get people to respond to emails. Fast forward to the school year after. I emailed my recruiter and my former boss telling them of my upcoming plans to not return due to this experience and wish to be literally anywhere else on this earth next summer. It was a nice email, well-intentioned. Neither of them responded to me. It baffles me that everyone at the company makes literally no effort to capture and retain talent. At a dinner I had with my recruiter, he literally said: “We just can’t compete with Facebook or Google” in regards to recruiting anyone. Maybe you could if you made any effort, like responding to my emails or making it seem like an interesting place to work, or giving me work when you are paying me. But it was fun to be in Seattle! I met my current lover there. Also work had free drinks (but nothing else). If you are looking for a job where you have to do next to nothing and get paid lots for it (aren’t we all), Microsoft is the place for you! Personally, I have ambition.

Microsoft2018-11-30
  2. "Great"

Current Intern - Program Manager Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance

Cons

it can get pretty bureaucratic

Microsoft2018-10-06
  3. "Great Culture"

Former Intern - MBA Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

>> The culture at Microsoft under Satya's leadership is great and the company is becoming more innovative. >> The feedback process is more transparent and the company rewards not only individual performance but one's contribution to the success of others. This encourages more teamwork. >> Great benefits (especially healthcare) and work-life balance.

Cons

>> It is a very large company so there are still some employees who might be stuck in the world way of thinking under former CEOs. However, I think the company is doing everything to align everyone with the company's culture.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and improving the culture of the company as Microsoft has a great future.

Microsoft2018-10-04
  4. "Financial Analyst Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Nice culture, no pressure, interesting problems, good benefits

Cons

a little slow, lots of red tape

Advice to Management

keep it up

Microsoft2018-09-02
  5. "PM"

Current Intern - PM Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits including health insurance, travel reimbursements etc. Lots of intern events and swag.

Cons

The intern to full time process is very rigid. It is hard to switch teams.

Microsoft2018-08-16
  6. "A Great Place to Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

- They appreciate their interns - Almost everyone works on real projects - Awesome place to spend a summer - Great culture - Relocation and housing covered

Cons

- Some interns might not get challenging enough work

Microsoft2018-08-16
  7. "From Program Manager to Software Development"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Their bonuses are cool and they have a lot of diversity an inclusion in their community.

Cons

They don't give you free food :(

Microsoft2018-07-26
  8. "Most Fun Internship of Any Company"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely incredible intern program. They deliver on the intern-wide events (concert, Intern Outing), with smaller social groups and activities (yacht party, guided hikes and kayaking), and the internship itself is a lot of fun and you get to know your team pretty well. Lots of socializing with the other interns and I met so, so many wonderful people that summer, some of whom I still keep in touch with.

Cons

An intern is given a return offer for their original team, I got the sense from my team members that it's easy to get silo'ed away in one part of the company, which I don't think is ideal early in one's career.

Advice to Management

Encourage more lateral movement of interns, give them more options for full time return teams.

Microsoft2018-08-08
  9. "PM Intern"

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

Impactful Internships Great Perks I love the company!

Cons

No free food is the only thing i can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep making Microsoft better!

Microsoft2018-07-16
  10. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft for less than a year

Pros

- Great work-life balance: my team had flexible work hours - Good management: at my time at Microsoft, my supervisor and mentor were very approachable - They spoil interns: they make interning at Microsoft as much a social experience as a job, with the intended purpose of getting interns to come back full time

Cons

- Lots of work with legacy systems: my team worked a fair amount with legacy code, which was tedious and uninteresting - Hard to feel motivated: given the size of the company, it is easy on many of the teams to feel that the work you are doing has little impact

Advice to Management

Give interns a better description of their jobs before they are hired. My biggest problem with Microsoft was that, as an incoming intern, management refused to detail what team I would be working with before I accepted the offer, which resulted in me working on a project I did not enjoy.

Microsoft2018-06-25