Microsoft Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft intern Reviews

Updated February 24, 2017

intern

1. "okay company"

Former Intern - Intern in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Intern - Intern in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

meet a lot of people

Cons

trivial work depending on department you're assigned to

Advice to Management

pay better

2. "IOS Develop intern"

Former Intern - IOS Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Intern - IOS Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Microsoft Online in Shanghai. The interviewer was really nice and asked me a few basic questions about my previous experience.

Cons

They didn't assign me a lot of tasks, so most of the time, I was kind of free.

3. "SDE Intern"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Hyderabad (India)

I worked at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Facilities, flexible work hours, freedom

Cons

Manager doesnt meet enough. My work was not properly evaluated. My manager was obsessed with theoritical aspecta rathee than the practical implementation of my project. Information regarding ppo conveyed to us very late(nearly 3 weeks after the end of internship).

Advice to Management

Iterns should get to meet up more with their managers and their code should be evaluated which was not done in my case. My manager wasn't really concerned about my project and used to ask me questions on other random stuff. PPO decision should be communicated faster. I got to know 3 weeks after completion of my internship. Further when an intern is not given a PPO the reason behind that should be communicated back to us.

5. "A good company, overall."

Former Intern - Intern in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Intern - Intern in Hyderabad (India)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of perks for the employees and a very good work culture.

Cons

Formal people and work load.

6. "A Good Place for a Start"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great place for an internship. Allows you to get real world experience and make a difference. The work is challenging, guided while not being too stifiling. HR works well with the interns, ensuring that they are taken care off. But with so many interns (and regular employees), "things" are bound to happen. While definitely not the best in the industry, the benefits are decent enough.

Cons

Too big. Small fish in a big pond complex. Sometimes you wonder how much you can climb. Some people may be arrogant, which can be a bit of a turnoff sometimes.

And of course: the stigma of the evil empire.

Advice to Management

Be more open and transparent with the rest of the company.

7. "Microsoft, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

The people are simply amazing. The coworkers are friendly, helpful and easy-going. You will often see people helping each other out with issues and answering questions, even if it means taking time out of their schedule There is little office politics and one's hard work does not go unnoticed. There is a lot of fun events designed to keep employees in the loop about upcoming Microsoft developments and technologies. There are often technical demos and presentations.

Cons

The weather in the region is pretty gloomy. It is often cloudy. Also, there are not enough women in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on interoperability and researching consumer needs.

8. "Research Intern happy with experience"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great benefits, incredibly smart people, worldwide impact. You will have all the tools you need to do a great job if you have the energy and motivation. You can meet with anyone in the company if you can find time; everyone is happy to help each other out, to give feedback, to talk about career advancement. You will be paid better than at other similar companies. An internship at MSR is more structured and more productive than at IBM or Google; you will also be encouraged to publish.

Cons

The commutes around Redmond are horrible. There are no trains or light rail options; you must be on the road whether in your car, a bus, a carpool, on a bike or on foot. From near the 520 bridge in Seattle, the commute takes between 30 and 120 minutes. Microsoft's "hero" culture can be tough for new employees to navigate. Shyness will get you nowhere.

Advice to Management

Train managers to be managers. Good engineers do not automatically make good managers.

9. "Perfect work-life balance for a tech company"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Work environment is laid back. Focus is put on your completing your work, and not when (hours of the day) you do it. Great compensation.

Cons

Pretty obvious, but when you have a company this size, bureaucracy becomes an issue.

Advice to Management

Streamline communication from employees to those higher up. Shorter release cycles.

10. "Great place to intern, not sure if I'd want to stay there"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Solid, stable company. Hey, in this economy, that's nothing to sneeze at. The impression that I have is that (in spite of the layoffs) that's still more or less the case.
    As an intern I found that the company policy was very open towards interns -- I was surprised and impressed at the knowledge available to me and the trust placed in me.

Cons

I found that
    And seriously, free food would go miles towards a more awesome work environment.
    As an intern I found that the full time employees assigned to work with me were preoccupied with their real jobs to the exclusion of helping me out; however, this might have been a peculiarity of my group or situation, or possibly I should have reached out more myself, as I know other interns did not find this to be the case.

Advice to Management

Encourage the big-picture openness of communication to filter down to the little things where it really matters.

11. "top choice for an industrial research lab"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Working at MSR is very demanding but very rewarding. You work with incredibly smart people, you are given an array of opportunities to learn and interact with all aspects of the research division and the whole company, the tech talks are great -- every day there are a few invited talks on all sorts of topics, the atmosphere is very comfortable (e.g. no overload with meetings), you set your own goals, agenda, and what you want to accomplish.

Cons

Success at MSR is measured more by papers you publish, and less by code you write. If you come in as an intern, the expectations are that you will get a paper our of your summer project. You could code up the coolest system in the world, and even it is very practically useful (even for MS products), it might not be worth much unless you can identify the novel aspects that distinguish it from prior work, write a paper about it, and publish in a top conference. This can be hard to take for people who enjoy development or who don't know how to (or don't want to) write good papers. An exception is tech transfer, but this doesn't happen as often as it should, researchers have to go out and convince product teams (who are often skeptical) to use their ideas. MSR is a great place if you like pure research, going to conferences, and implementing quick mockups and prototypes, and don't like writing and shipping production-quality code. MSR is not so great if you dislike paper deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in MSR, actively encourage and reward tech transfer. Encourage researchers to work on bigger projects with more impact even if it means that they won't be publishing papers for a while.

Showing 348 of 16,050 reviews