Microsoft Sales Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Satya Nadella

1. "Great company."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Leadership, innovation opportunities to grow and develop your career. Holistic 360 degree assessment review process. Team collaboration. Decent pay and pay for performance.

Cons

Base pay I a bit low. Big organization, so you have to be comfortable with scale. Transition to the cloud is going well.

"Microsoft Has Changed"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are now better companies in the Seattle area.

Cons

People don't leave Microsoft they leave bad Managers.

Advice to Management

Too much dead weight in middle management

3. "Transforming"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great company and place to work. Professional atmosphere, intelligent people, high integrity culture and strong benefit package. Transforming to a cloud and services company with a solid vision for the future.

Cons

Microsoft seems to be making a concerted effort to reduce compensation. One by hiring younger workers and secondly by reducing ability to hit bonuses. Microsoft also is notorious for changing strategies before they fully understand it current strategy will work long term.

Advice to Management

There are all sorts of ways to reduce cost, but I'd be very careful in prioritizing employee compensation. Many of your competitors are investing heavily in people while your approach seems to be the opposite.

5. "Great Company with Fantastic Benefits, Overly Bureaucratic"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Excellence & Strategy Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Excellence & Strategy Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microsoft has a great reputation and offers fantastic benefits. Strong leadership corporate strategy sets Microsoft up for many future successes, especially within the Cloud arms race.

Cons

Microsoft is overly bureaucratic, which isn't a surprise for a company of it's size, but it makes it difficult to get work done in a timely manner at times. In most cases, all roads lead to Redmond, so it can be career limiting to be in other locations if relocation is not an option or want.

Advice to Management

Focus on process efficiency and reducing unnecessary efforts that drag down employees productivity. It would also be beneficial to be more open to a less Redmond centric requirement for US resources.

6. "Amazing Culture with a few Drawbacks"

Former Employee - General Manager of Sales in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - General Manager of Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exceptional leadership locally and at CEO level. Challenging the industry in many ways. Local leaders do an exceptional job of taking care of and promoting their people; they are serious about the business of leading and growing business

Cons

Internal requirements have become overwhelming and place a real strain on leaders ability to engage in their business outside of the office. The sales comp plan is impossible to understand and track. This is a real issue for top sales performers

Advice to Management

Continue to try brining the benefits of Corporate HQ to the local field offices while conveying the exceptional culture and leadership in the field back to HQ.

7. "Senior sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great technical culture. Very innovation. Lots of money to earn from

Cons

Lots of transition to the cloud and shrinking margins. Management is lowing historical compensation rates. Terrible sales culture. Unable to set quotas effectively.

"Microsoft sales role review."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative and Coprorate Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Cadillac benefit plans. Stock ownership for all employees from day one. Great earnings potential. Fantastic facilities with 5 star dining and free vending machines in break rooms. Very professional atmosphere with high quality coworkers.

Cons

Management style. Microsoft has a management style that I felt discouraged top performance. High priority is placed on sales forecasting to the point that I spent 65% of my time each week in forecast spread sheets and forecast reviews with management. The culture set by management is also a throw each other under the bus culture. Typically sales were performed by sales teams of various Product Specialist Technical Sales Experts and Account Managers. If a team lost a sale to a competitor, management would schedule a conference call with the team for a loss review. During the call the manager would often ask each member of the team who the weak link on the team is that caused the team to loose the opportunity. The legacy Microsoft employees would immediately begin throwing each other under the bus. Having come from an IBM culture where we truly worked as a team, watched each others back and typically had "air cover" followed up by coaching from our managers, I found the Microsoft throw each other under the bus mentality to be very detrimental to to building a good close cohesive sales team where the members were motivated to trust each other and work together in a positive way to be successful. It appeared that back stabbing was expected and eagerly applied by employees in an effort to safe themselves or try to get brownie points. I found it to be a very negative and demoralizing approach to team sales..

Advice to Management

Streamline and simplify the sales forecasting process and only requires once every two to four weeks. We would often be asked to update our forecast on almost a daily basis.
    Although I was a very successful award winning rep, while working for another company I once made a mistake that caused us to loose a fairly sizable sale. The Executive I was working under took the blame with upper management and protected my back. He simply asked me if I had learned from my mistake which I certainly had. The entire sales team learned a great lesson from that, From that day forward myself and the rest of my team adopted the attitude that we not only wanted to over achieve for our own purposes but also to make our Executive look great. We cared about him as much as he cared about us. We would walk through fire for him and always wanted to have his back. We went on to be a consistently overachieving team that one numerous world wide sales awards. Strong comradery and a positive healthy desire to achieve a goal together always leads to greater and more rewarding success than a negative beat down distrustful environment. I understand that some managers feel like fear is the greatest motivator but I disagree. When I know I am working for someone that believes in and is loyal to me, I will work twice as hard to show my appreciation.

9. "Company in transition"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is going thru a huge transformation, which creates new opportunities but also lots of uncertainty. Morale is high, excitement - overall - is even higher. You got to be in the right team, though. Very good work/life balance, but you need to manage it and deliver the expected results.

Cons

Increased rigor in processes makes life hard. High, ambitious growth targets drive lots of pressure.

Advice to Management

Engineering needs to be better aligned with sales. Satya is working hard to breakdown walls between engineering teams, need to continue that push.

10. "Amazing company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Juan, PR

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to grow professionally.
    Surrounded by the best professional
    Working with the latest technology
    Great salary and best in the word benefits

Cons

Ranking system force high performers in a high performance team to be penalized

11. "Microsoft offers a variety of options as you progress through your career, it is a continuous learning environment."

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, exciting culture, fast paced

Cons

Corporate matrix makes it difficult to make quick impact in the field. Over the past couple of years, there has been tightening of budgets for operating expenses and employee benefits which both have a negative impact on work life balance.