Microsoft Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2019

Sales Representative

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They have a great work/life balance with lots of flexibility" (in 2336 reviews)

• "Smart people (more at HQ than the field)" (in 1814 reviews)

Cons

1. "Services Sales Representative"

Former Contractor - Services Sales Representative in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Services Sales Representative in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good work life balance working from home is a plus
    The work experience in a multicultural environment is awesome
    Have good bonus scheme if you're fortunate to get the arrangements with your manager.
    Great colleagues and support especially for a new role.

Cons

Visibility is key one needs to align with specific people for promotion or new role .

Advice to Management

Include other benefits like medical and retirement to contractual employees.
    Vendor staff should have soke career training like the permanent staff

"Good entry"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast paced and get to get experience quickly

Cons

not the best company culture.

Advice to Management

plan before acting. look at long term effects and not just short term fixes.

3. "Lots of changes, without field direction"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Extremely talented employees, for the most part.
    - Good (used to be great) benefits
    - Stock doing great in recent years
    - Excellent senior leadership
    - Solid cloud development and offerings

Cons

- As company is changing from annual agreements to subscription revenue, field is in turmoil
    - Some field locations are seeing massive turnover (>50%)
    - Compensation plans uncertain/changing for field roles as management tries to understand how to adjust comp models to new sales models.
    - Pockets of low morale

Advice to Management

Ensure there is better field management to manage during the change. In some areas, field management is managing via intimidation models and driving uncertainty, poor morale, and massive turnover.

4. "Good product, bad execution."

Current Employee - Sales Field Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Field Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job I had was fun and challenging. The product was excellent, and improving.

Cons

They did not care about current product and did not advertise.

Advice to Management

Fix the product and advertise.

"ASR"

Former Employee - Area Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Area Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and great people. Well structured on-boarding, training, and career nurturing. Many opportunities to grow into higher level positions.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. A great deal of information to constantly keep up with and retain to conduct your business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Company is evolving into a better place and a strong second wind after years of stagnation.

"Microsoft sales role review."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative and Coprorate Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Cadillac benefit plans. Stock ownership for all employees from day one. Great earnings potential. Fantastic facilities with 5 star dining and free vending machines in break rooms. Very professional atmosphere with high quality coworkers.

Cons

Management style. Microsoft has a management style that I felt discouraged top performance. High priority is placed on sales forecasting to the point that I spent 65% of my time each week in forecast spread sheets and forecast reviews with management. The culture set by management is also a throw each other under the bus culture. Typically sales were performed by sales teams of various Product Specialist Technical Sales Experts and Account Managers. If a team lost a sale to a competitor, management would schedule a conference call with the team for a loss review. During the call the manager would often ask each member of the team who the weak link on the team is that caused the team to loose the opportunity. The legacy Microsoft employees would immediately begin throwing each other under the bus. Having come from an IBM culture where we truly worked as a team, watched each others back and typically had "air cover" followed up by coaching from our managers, I found the Microsoft throw each other under the bus mentality to be very detrimental to to building a good close cohesive sales team where the members were motivated to trust each other and work together in a positive way to be successful. It appeared that back stabbing was expected and eagerly applied by employees in an effort to safe themselves or try to get brownie points. I found it to be a very negative and demoralizing approach to team sales..

Advice to Management

Streamline and simplify the sales forecasting process and only requires once every two to four weeks. We would often be asked to update our forecast on almost a daily basis.
    Although I was a very successful award winning rep, while working for another company I once made a mistake that caused us to loose a fairly sizable sale. The Executive I was working under took the blame with upper management and protected my back. He simply asked me if I had learned from my mistake which I certainly had. The entire sales team learned a great lesson from that, From that day forward myself and the rest of my team adopted the attitude that we not only wanted to over achieve for our own purposes but also to make our Executive look great. We cared about him as much as he cared about us. We would walk through fire for him and always wanted to have his back. We went on to be a consistently overachieving team that one numerous world wide sales awards. Strong comradery and a positive healthy desire to achieve a goal together always leads to greater and more rewarding success than a negative beat down distrustful environment. I understand that some managers feel like fear is the greatest motivator but I disagree. When I know I am working for someone that believes in and is loyal to me, I will work twice as hard to show my appreciation.

7. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great and it offers a flexible role working with the forefront of consumer technology. In an always changing environment it keeps things fresh and engaging.

Cons

As a new program, it has not offered to many opportunities for advancement...yet. With the scheduled growth cycle and portfolio soon to come, this will change.

8. "Breeds Mediocrity"

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and benefits package

Cons

Not enough rewards based on individual merit

9. "SISR Microsoft , Austin, TX"

Current Employee - Services Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Services Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Exposure to MS Technolgy solutions
    Selling to C level customers
    Working with world class employees
    Ability to drive business with VAR's

Cons

Management slow to make changes to problems and challenges facing attainment and compensation
    Interview process can take up to 6 months depending on position

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people. Offer incentives that are black and white rather than a cat and mouse structure.

10. "Field Sales - Now what?"

Current Employee - Sales Representative (Opportunity/Territory Manager) in Chicago, IL

Pros

1) Well recognized company name and products helps you cut to the chase when talking to IT decision makers. No time wasted on positioning your "best of breed" solutions
    2) Resource rich
    3) Health benefits

Cons

1) Companies wo frequently comment about work-life "integration" probably have a problem with it.
    2) Tougher to find next role at level 63+
    3) Feel too pressured to do a new job every few years. Would like to enjoy being a "professional in place"
    4) Data quality needs improvement

Advice to Management

Train managers to help employees to grow and develop. Seems like managers are just trying to manage their own careers and metrics.