Microsoft Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

Microsoft San Antonio Reviews

San Antonio, TX

4.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places to work for with great work life balance (in 1947 reviews)

• Working with really smart people who readily share their great insights is a humbling experience where everyone is treated as equals by all employees (in 1682 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes working hard means disrupting one's work/life balance for periods (in 1093 reviews)

• Review system was not the greatest (in 519 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Microsoft (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement, training, great strategy, CEO with vision and executional ability.
    Caring environment, good work life balance, great Corp social responsibility

Cons

High turnover in my division
    Expectations set high
    Stack/rank gone in favor of ongoing performance reviews
    Time to establish better long term goals

2. "Great place, great pay"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, growth within the company that's parallel to retail

Cons

Can't transition into Redmond easily.

"The Retail Side"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great here, when you have a dedicated team and management. I've learned that MSFT is very thorough in qualifications and has a lot of red tape-- but for good reason.

1. You're as worthy of moving up as you are dedicated.
    2. You aren't going to be spoon fed opportunities to grow-- seek and you shall find.
    3. Room to network and make your name out there.
    4. The company actually listens to what Retail is saying and they grow with their employees.
    5. They have, honestly, the /best/ coaching and constructive criticism training. I used to be an ASM at another retail company and I was honestly moved by how graceful managers are when it comes to attending to a problem and setting you up for success.
    6. The pay is substantially more than other companies-- but be forewarned, with greater pay it comes with greater responsibility.

Cons

1. Everyone is working hard to better themselves, which means whether you work as a team or not, your impact is heavily weighed. You are constantly being evaluated and expected to grow as an employee-- and sometimes when you're hired from the outside and not thoroughly trained like in-sourced hires, you can feel like you're at a disadvantage or expected to know things that you haven't been trained for. This is not a job for those who are entry-level to the retail industry or the workforce in general.
    2. Work/Life balance constraints: MSFT goes out of its way to make sure everyone is being worked at the minimum standard of 20 hours p. week (part-timers) which means that if you're going to school full time, working another job, or just have personal obligations, you need to be prepared to: A) Get two days off a week that will not be consecutive and B) Know your personal life 3 weeks in advance so you can request time off. For school this is especially difficult, because there are always opportunities outside of the classroom for E.C or even graded requirements. They can only be so lenient, and this is always going to be determined by 1) how good you are as an employee and 2) everyone else's availability.

Advice to Management

Take the time to develop emotional intelligence, management certifications and communication methods, because each employee is different with areas that are more specialized than others. What may work for one employee may not work well with another-- you must be willing to adapt to individuals instead of setting an expectation across the board that will only allow one person to succeed.

Let your team members flourish in their areas of expertise. One person may be extremely good with UPT despite not having multiple transactions and still competively average with the rest of the team, while another person may get high revenue from sales but little to no attach. Recognize your employees strengths and let them master it instead of trying to conform each employee to the standard "perfected" retail employee that gets both high UPT and high transaction revenue. It's a nice goal, but it's unrealistic.

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Support Escalation Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Support Escalation Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, great bonus, stock options, management pushes to see you excel

Cons

Can sometimes feel lost in a large company

Advice to Management

Continue to push us to excel, the team building is definitely great to keep us motivated

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sales leader manage employees, benefits

Cons

Sales leader, paid training, great benefits

Advice to Management

Sales

6. "Good Pay and Benefits, Stifling Politics and Process, Puzzling Senior Management Decisions"

Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Premier Field Engineer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Excellent benefits in the US. 100% paid medical (no prescription cost or copay for visits), although dental and vision are not quite as good. Great pay compared to my prior position. Nice annual bonus and stock awards if your review is good, although it isn't going to make anyone rich.

Cons

In field customer-facing roles (such as PFE or Consulting), there can be pressure to fill engagements with a resource, even if they don't have the right skillset. Placing a body with a customer for the sake of filling a slot doesn't help us or the customer.

MSFT claims to value work-life balance, but I rarely see this in practice. My current manager is supportive of my personal goals, but we still have to make concessions for the customer. I suppose this is true in any professional services line of work, but I would like to see a bit more emphasis on doing what is right for the employee and a little less emphasis on bending over backwards for the customer at every turn. The customer is not always right.

Advice to Management

Worry about being good at a few things and stop trying to be all things to all people. Xbox, Zune and Online Services are money pits. Cut underperforming business and don't fund new ones without a clear path to profitability.

If online is really the cash cow of the future, then do what is necessary to clean house in that division. Remove the layers of stifling middle management and find a way to recruit the best and brightest in search and advertising. Make exceptions to the pay scales for them if necessary. Then, get out of their way and allow them to innovate. Fix the MSN/Live branding mess. I know some progress has been made here, but I still wonder if the average web user knows where to find Microsoft's search engine.

Don't brand so many products with the Windows or Office monikers. Ditch the complicated product names. Popfly and Silverlight are cool names - we don't need product names that go on and on. Simplify the Windows SKUs - we don't need seven editions of Vista.

7. "Microsoft is a great company, but becoming an IBM."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Medical Benefits are outstanding. Have paid nothing out of pocket for me and wife for medical or prescription in all my years with Microsoft. The people at Microsoft are smart, fun and passionate. The company is investing and growing. The partnerships we have are outstanding. Customers like our business model and want us to continue driving business value for our customers.

Cons

Becoming the next IBM. Big company bureaucracy stifles innovation, and limits achievement. Stock price is stagnant. Compensation is ok; I've seen better in the workplace for comparable level of experience and skills.

Advice to Management

Get more innovative. Stop the internal turf wars. Buy Yahoo or move-on...time is not on our side.

Showing 7 of 18,530 reviews