Microsoft Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

4.1

7,663 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1185 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 529 reviews)

1. "Technical Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and Great people

Cons

I see no cons at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

3. "Microsoft Work Culture Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work culture and the environment is super beneficial to the employees.

Cons

Employees get too comfortable with the benefits and loyalties and might stick to a single team in Microsoft for a long time

4. "Sr. Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work and collaboration with brilliant coworkers.

Cons

Many horrible managers who are more focused on politics and their own self being.

Advice to Management

Invest in good people managers

5. "Good Overall"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company with a clear purpose

Cons

a large share of workforce close to retirement and doesn't incur curiosity in day to day work

6. "Autonomy and opportunity for impact. Define what and why and help guide how working with engineering managers."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sammamish, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sammamish, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Impactful work.

Cons

Organizational decision making and prioritization can be problematic depending on the org and how your team fits into the org charter.

Advice to Management

Organize the teams with core competencies in the right units to promote opportunities for integration and give more purpose to ICs.

7. "Can be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Principal Level Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Level Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, lots of different products and technologies to work on, growing respect real work/life balance.

Cons

Most execs still have no idea how to deal with the AI revolution.

8. "Great place to work, lower salary than Google"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent coworkers, good leadership, focus on employee happiness

Cons

Lower salary than other large software companies in area

9. "You are the gatekeeper to your work-life balance, push back"

Current Employee - User Researcher in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - User Researcher in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless supply of new projects/exciting work. Different backgrounds are respected. Smartest people.

Cons

Work-life balance can be achieved, but since others don't know how to, many will expect you to give unhealthy amount as well.

Advice to Management

Make it clear, 9-10 hours a day, else, everyone is burnt out shouting at each other without even realizing what they're talking about

"Solutions were band-aids, not authentic. Microsoft does not "run on Trust", as they say."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company, lots of room to move around. Really smart people. Good teamwork is possible.

Cons

Not diverse in terms of thinking, ability, gender, race. The culture of the company is quite top-down as opposed to networked and empowered. Success can be dependent on one's relationship to their manager, as opposed to a multi-pronged performance system that considers teamwork, output, and learning... as the company touts.

Advice to Management

Change doesn't happen top down. It has to be top down and bottom up and sideways - it has to be real and something believed at the heart of the company. For product success long term, true diversity of all kinds needs to be required because everyone understands the value of diverse perspectives and seeks to have their work challenged to make it great. Instead, Microsoft has normalized a culture consisting mainly of white men and people from China and India. Nothing wrong with these places, but anytime there are disproportionate groups and they hold the power, diversity doesn't happen and therefore whatever is "normal" goes unchallenged. The world consists of people beyond the privileged classes who work at Microsoft, but often when we show up to work at this company, we are pushed out for being different than the norms set by these groups.

Showing 7,663 of 21,156 reviews