Microsoft Security Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Security Program Manager

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great people, challenging and creative"

Current Employee - Security Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Security Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is set to change the world through technology for good

Cons

Extremely hierarchical structure, lots of reorgs by management to compete effectively

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great technical talent. Good amount of teamwork. They treat their people well."

Former Employee - Security Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microsoft has some really talented people -- sure, they may not have been winning the recruiting battles in more recent times but they've got some deep benches. When I first got there, I was surprised at how many employees there just seem to stay for A LONG TIME. I knew several folks who had been there 10, 13, more years. This was unheard of in the Silicon Valley tech companies where I had worked. I worked hard there and believe that my work was adequately recognized and appreciated.

They treat their employees really well. It was pretty hard for me to leave in spite of having a number of solid reasons for doing so. Why? I got so comfortable. It's true. It's a nice lifestyle. Didn't have to work THAT hard. (Not relative to how hard I was working.)

Cons

I sometimes felt frustrated because I was used to doing things to an A+++ standard and so found myself there often frustrated by more Lowest Common Denominator or C-level solutions. That was probably for me the hardest part about being there. It wasn't a cultural fit for me where I love efficiency, nimble-ness, best-idea-wins, and somewhat direct communication style.

"Swim with the Sharks"

Former Employee - Security Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

There are no limits as to what you can do/accomplish.

Cons

Not interested in teamwork, it's every man (or woman) for himself.

Advice to Management

Emphasize teamwork more in order to get better results. Ease off the start-up, hyper-competitive nature of doing work and emphasize creativity, ingenuity, balance, etc.

4. "Great Place to Work - Microsoft"

Former Employee - Security Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Management's focus on hiring and keeping the best employees and helping to grow their careers. Great benefits and work environment! Beside the free drinks, showers & towels, 2 bike tune-ups per year, there is also group & company-wide moral events. Great benefits: no co-pay for health care including no co-pay for emergency room visits or on meds.

Cons

Managers can lack people skills since they are usually technical folks promoted with little management training and mentoring. The ranking system during reviews in the IT group at MS depends on who you know vs. your value to company.

Advice to Management

The IT management has not changed in several decades. This has created limited opportunities for growth in the manager track.