Microsoft Senior Architect Reviews | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Architect Reviews

Updated 9 Aug 2019

Found 11 reviews

3.3
  1. "Great technology company"

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership in technology industry . Great ip Focus on cloud , analytics and digital transformation Great people , benefits and pay package

Cons

Large organization requires navigating to get things done . Many groups out there to support but identifying them is bit challenging

Advice to Management

Trim the middle layers

Microsoft2017-02-25
  2. "No identity confidentiality when helping compliance team fight corruption."

Former Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The corporation as a whole is good with solid policies and HR definitions.

Cons

Some inside organizations unfortunately act as their own, like a parallel company not following corporation guidelines. I had a terrible experience by being naive and reporting a side-agreement issue, my identity was made public the next day. Besides suffering social harassment two superiors I ended up with a burn down syndrome and was kinda magaed out.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the lower layer of command, if they are really people managers or only skilled technical/functional people who has risen inside company´s chain. They're putting some FTEs to perform several functions not related to the role, because the manager wants to look good to their bosses, and "looked green" no matter what, even putting at risk employees health. I had great experiences, but a terrible strong... social harassment added to a manage out process that lead me to an IOP treatment, severe depression that took me 2 years to recover, today I'm still under treatment. I left Microsoft. The company good, but you have bad, hostile environment and parallel companies inside your company, forsome organizations. But everyone `Plays Ball´ and keep ´smiling and waving´ so they'll look good. It's not team work it's the "I don't care, make it happen" way of leading. It's a pity.

Microsoft2019-08-09
  3. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of talented people to learn from. Unlimited resources to do R&D.

Cons

Lack of communication between FTEs and contractors

Advice to Management

Make the communication more transparent. It will save you guys millions.

Microsoft2016-02-23

"Almost Great"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. Teams are working together and support you. Benefits are getting better.

Cons

Management is not transparent. Review process better but still flawed. Lots of managers not connecting regularly and employees getting surprised at review time. Still some politics in senior management that lead to hectic changes.

Advice to Management

Better transparency about efforts, team changes, benefits and rewards.

Microsoft2015-08-31

"Its War. War with others on your team, war with other teams, war with other divisions. War with everybody and it sucks."

Former Contractor - Senior Software Architect in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft for more than a year

Pros

Always work to do and there is never a shortage of people who have software problems you can help fix.

Cons

They tend to hire a lot of Jr. level people and then have the Sr. people clean up the messes. Marketing is all powerful but doesn't understand technology. The most innovative projects get cut or filled with bad people.

Advice to Management

Stop the stack raking n all forms, allow teams to work together to a common goal, stop hiring idiots to fill empty seats.

Microsoft2014-04-21
  6. "No surprises if you've worked for a big company."

Current Employee - Senior Network Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have most quality of life things figured out, good benefits, good work-life balance, good folks to work with (very few jerks) and there is a solid technical track that doesn't push you to become a manager to advance. If anything, technical chops are more appreciated than managerial sway.

Cons

Very process oriented, very large bureaucracy, so unless you know who can help, it takes very long to navigate.

Advice to Management

Need to transition from a won't consider it for employees or customers if it is "Not invented here" mentality to supporting cross-platform online services because that is what your customers are doing. Support employees by putting fewer restrictions on their work tools (ie. should not have to use Outlook or Lync if they are proprietary, which they are, when there are standards based alternatives that Microsoft... could support -- ie. Firefox, SIP+ENUM)

Microsoft2014-04-15
  7. "Microsoft, a place for driven people"

Senior Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

ability to work on software used by a large number of customers lots of smart people, opportunity to learn a lot if you use it

Cons

very large organization, hard to steer in any particular direction competitive culture leads to local optimizations ignoring or hurting global opportunities

Advice to Management

Change culture of people to work better together

Microsoft2008-06-25

"If you are thinking about MS - think again."

Senior Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Once upon a time it was a company that encouraged people to think outside the box. This spirit drove the company to it's high level. During that time we as a company acted as one company, with all groups pulling together into a single unit. In the past the compensation was an exceptional piece of what made it fun to work at Microsoft. However at the same time the ability to influence products, change the... direction of MS Services and contribute to making customers better was a critical factor in the "fun" of working at Microsoft. Sadly that is no longer the case.

Cons

It is now a big company - and the pay hasn't really grown as fast as the orgizational profits. Its sad that the joy of working at Microsoft is now gone. I've been with the company more than 10 years and during that time have watched the fun factor drip out of my job. During that time i have held three or four other positions within the company. In every case the reality of where we are is consistent. Our field teams... don't communicate as well as they should. Our corporate teams don't communcate as well as they should. Sad, all the way around.

Advice to Management

Time to go back to the "Old Microsoft"

Microsoft2008-05-29
  9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in London, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

A company that is genuinely trying to change for the better and even with the standard corporate politics, the people are good and corporative to each other.

Cons

Different renumeration model brings conflicting interests of various teams to work together. Having said that, Microsoft is working everyday to remove these and will get there.

Advice to Management

Remove Domain Silos from Products to Services and have one single bonus and benefits model based on higher ACR consumption across the company. There are still different perks driving conflicting behaviour.

Microsoft2019-04-14
  10. "Understand the Customer"

Senior Architect in Brisbane

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

You truly have the power to change the world.

Cons

Get rid of the useless middle management who are disengaged from the customer, leadership and the employees demanding money and quota achievement above all. It was seriously challenging having a person not understanding technology business benefits over sales numbers without value......

Advice to Management

Get rid of the glass ceiling and promote talent over stalwarts moving around offering software audits as successful customer engagement.

Microsoft2015-09-24