Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Cons

1. "One of the Best Internship Programs Period"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat you like gold. You get to meet so many people. Tons of responsibility. Seattle is amazing too.

Cons

I have experienced no cons from my internships here. Even if you have a terrible time, other companies very much respect Microsoft on a resume. The only possible thing is that many employees there have worked at Microsoft for 20+ years and don't ever get exposed to other tech outside the Microsoft bubble.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I loved the intern tech talks too. Microsoft is headed in a great direction and you can definitely see that as an intern.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test Intern

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great pay. Get to work on products used by millions. Microsoft as a company is very inclusive and encourages giving back.

Cons

Depending on your team, your work-life balance might be an issue. Sometimes around releases there are long hours and pressure to get things done.

3. "My amazing Microsoft Internship experience"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

I get to work with intelligent and supportive teammates every day.
    Amazing facilities/gorgeous landscaped HQ.
    Work/life balance is very good for most SWE Interns I know.
    Free drinks
    They bring in good musicians to play over lunch at the main cafeteria.
    Performance feedback is not only focused on individual contribution, but also how well you work with others. I've been told this really improves the company culture, especially on the main campus.
    They make an honest effort to give interns projects that are interesting and within the scope of a summer.
    Top notch health insurance, even for interns.

Cons

The culture of different teams can vary (I have heard good and bad from other interns.)
    Microsoft always manages to stay in the news with the latest PR gaffe (honestly more amusing than upsetting to most employees.)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to attract top university talent. Continue to create an open dialogue within the company.

5. "Too slow"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (Intern) in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer (Intern) in Redmond, WA

Pros

-Shuttle system all over WA to and from campus made life great.
    -Yearly Intern Signature Event + free gift
    -You will be in the company of talented and seasoned engineers.

Cons

Most of Microsoft's products are strongly bound to legacy code, which makes them trepidacious about original ideas. I was supposed to make an extension to some auxiliary production software--it took six weeks (halfway through my internship) before I was allowed to write a line of code!

Take this with a grain of salt. At Microsoft, the most important thing is what team you're on. I was not very excited about my particular team's work.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job of keeping a hulking metal behemoth like Microsoft from grinding to a halt. I wish MS could restructure its dependencies such that it could break more barriers with technology.

6. "Agile teams shipping fast"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture! "Be surrounded by people that are better than you". There are definitely amazing people inside, and they seem very open to teach and learn as well.
    Not all teams are Agile, but I heard a lot of teams mentioning they use it more and more, even if the sprints have to be a month long.
    The Foundry internship was incredible, a great opportunity for students to get to know this side of Microsoft that is modern, ships fast, and embraces change. There is a great chance that the apps developed in the internship will be taken forward afterwards.

Cons

Specifically in the Foundry Internship, you don't get to work in existing products or big teams, so you don't fully understand the experience of working full-time in a regular team.

Advice to Management

I'd love to have shadowed a full-time employee for a couple days, or participated in another team's meetings.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to develop skills, easy to move around the company to a team with a micro-culture that fits you, great benefits, brilliant minds, great work life balance, great benefits

Cons

Some hold over from outdated corporate practices which are mainly getting better. Some of the buildings are outdated.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but avoid old corporate stigmas. Invest in keeping campus up to date.

8. "On campus interview"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern

Pros

Great training process and culture. The employers not only focus on your technical skills, but on your overall behaviors.

Cons

There is no shortcoming currently, I am just a graduate student and feel great honor to work in such a good company.

9. "SDE Intern"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good Team .

Cons

n/a .

10. "Software Engineer Intern Review"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Payment and other benefits
    Fun intern experience
    Free and open team & environment

Cons

Actual work is quite limited such that not much innovation / personal input can be stimulated

Advice to Management

To my team, they were friendly. To the project management, I did have some issues with the design section of the work. Hope they could speed up on intern work.

11. "Excellent Team, Interesting Work"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Before starting I got some say in choosing my team. I ended up on an excellent team with four other developers, all of whom had lots of experience. Everybody was helpful and understanding.

My manager gave me interesting work and freedom to develop however I liked.

Our team was fast-paced and each developer had visible contributions with very low time to production.

Cons

Microsoft is a big company. I talked to other interns and full time employees and many teams have to deal with and support poorly documented legacy code/systems, and frequently there is a lot of bureaucracy. Some teams have to wait months before their finished features go into production.

There is some internal tension between competing teams, even within the company

Advice to Management

keep moving in the current direction. Ensure that developers feel listened to and eliminate some of the bureaucracy. Having multiple VPs sign off on a code change doesn't necessarily mean it is any less likely to fail.