Microsoft Reviews in Sterling, VA | Glassdoor

Sterling, VA

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a challenge" (in 1197 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 530 reviews)

"I couldn’t imagine a better company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing salary and benefits, honestly top notch. There may be some competitors who pay more in comparison but most employees with competitors are miserable and dying for a good culture. Culture at Microsoft is amazing and extremely important. Everyone is very collaborative and they want to help you succeed for the most part. The opportunity once you enter Microsoft is honestly endless. You can make about as much money as you can possibly imagine, and do any job you’ve ever really wanted to do. You can also move almost anywhere you want to move. Most roles have a ton of opportunity to work remote, which is my favorite part. I accomplish so much from home, and without the travel time on a daily basis I finish more than I normally would. Work life balance is great and an emphasis- they encourage you to enjoy your time with your family. Ultimately that’s up to you if you can separate the two.

Cons

Lack of training. Even when provided with training events, seems the facilitators or the training material is way over your head at that point in Microsoft. Once you gain a better understanding of your role, that naturally comes with time, you’ll really wish someone would’ve explained everything to you like you were 5 years old from the get go. It seems they try to go level 500 immediately rather than giving overviews, and this goes for a lot of different initiatives throughout the company. Rather than trying to sound extremely smart with 30 slides with 500 words or more per slide, get to the point and speak in simple terms that we will understand and can portray to our customers.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent, the transparency is there if you ask for it. But if you are just starting, there are a lot of questions you don’t know to ask. As soon as you ask, a lot will be revealed to you. If you never ask, good luck guessing at what you need to do in order to be a rockstar at your role.

2. "Datacenter Logistic Technician"

Current Contractor - Datacenter Logistic Technician in Sterling, VA
    Current Contractor - Datacenter Logistic Technician in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Constantly moving and the opportunity to learn EVERYTHING

Cons

Hard to apply DIRECT within

Advice to Management

stay focus and keep moving FORWARD

3. "Sell computers and give personal trainings"

Current Employee - Product Advisor in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Product Advisor in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Microsoft part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is like any retail
    Job, but their benefits are so so good. Its a company that will take care of their employees.

Cons

It could get repetitive after a while, but they try to keep it fun and exciting, ive been here for about 5 months and have found it very accommodating to my schedule

Showing 3 of 21,560 reviews