Microsoft Reviews in Washington State | Glassdoor

4.1

7,705 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain groups can have poor work-life balance" (in 1189 reviews)

• "Outdated review system which is anything but fair" (in 530 reviews)

1. "Great experience"

Current Intern - Explorer in Redmond, WA
    Current Intern - Explorer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really relaxed, fun, and understanding

Cons

Nerve wrecking and stressful for a long day, but not too bad once you ease yourself in.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Thoughts after 10 years...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Management

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Partner Marketing Manager in Sammamish, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Partner Marketing Manager in Sammamish, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good values, benefits and working environment

Cons

Managers can be hit or miss, limited upward mobility

4. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft has changed the world, and will certainly do it again. Great and exciting place.

Cons

Huge company. There are many different 'Microsofts' and some of them are less engaging than others.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

5. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place to learn and grow

Cons

nothing that I can think off

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

6. "Great place to learn!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft (Less than a year)

Pros

People care about your growth and wants you to learn and take the initiative

Cons

Culture is pretty old. They are building a new campus however

"Great company"

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft is a great company with great benefits, great managers, and interesting work. It's a large place, so it's hard to generalize across all teams. Once within Microsoft, it's easy to move.

Cons

Older product teams have challenging businesses and may come across as less agile than some of the newer products.

"Still very happy one year after joining Microsoft"

Current Employee - SDE-II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - SDE-II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a software development engineer, Microsoft is a great place to be.
    * There are so many orgs and teams working on drastically different things. If you get bored at one team, you have options to switch teams within the company. There's no limit for how many times you can switch teams.

* Even though the company is huge, I feel the org and teams are tightly connected. You come across familiar faces in the hallway multiple times a day, people nod their head or smile at you even though they may not know your name

* Benefits and pay may not be the best, but it's great given how many hours you put in. The 401k with 50% match (up to $9,250 in 2018), ESPP, HSA, etc are awesome and serve as a great vehicle for preparing for retirement (early). If you are lucky enough, you can take shuttle/Connector to go to work without having to drive.

* Compared to my previous employers, Microsoft is the best, and I feel privileged every day I work in the company

Cons

* Pay can be more in line with competitors, a few engineers I know voted with their feet
    * Sometimes, it takes a little bit efforts to understand project requirements. It's not always clear who to ask and where to go. This may be the nature of those projects

* The performance review can be more transparent

9. "Good company too hierarchical"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, learn lots, big teams, big opportunities to work together

Cons

You will work inside a box as long as you are there but gain worldwide practices

Advice to Management

Tell HR to calm down tenfold, because they are really aggressive and make it hard to switch teams and make you feel like you are doing something wrong for wanting to grow yourself, but act extremely fake like they care about you and your future.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Benefits, Company Wide culture

Cons

Team culture might not be aligned with company-wide culture

Showing 7,705 of 21,344 reviews