Mid-Continent Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Mid-Continent Public Library Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2020

4.0
Mid-Continent Public Library Library Director and CEO Steven Potter (no image)
Steven Potter

"Fun job, low pay."

Current Employee - Access Specialist II (Formerly "Librarian Assistant I") in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is a lot of fun. The people are mostly wonderful.

Cons

A lot of the people who work here don't have the education or basic computer skills to be working in a library. Full-time jobs are few and far between. Nearly all of the positions are part time and the pay is VERY VERY LOW.

Mid-Continent Public Library2014-04-02
  2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

Flexible hours, the staff is very nice, everyone is helpful and this job has good benefits and pay, loved working here.

Cons

Management was not always great, sometimes very unorganized work environment

Mid-Continent Public Library2014-03-16
  3. "Overall experience has been very positive as a part-time position since they are very flexible with scheduling."

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

The employees are very friendly and great to work with in my experience. Most of the work is very routine in nature, which allows employees to focus on helping patrons and other coworkers.

Cons

The pay is sometimes less than what you could likely make somewhere else. However, what you lack in pay is compensated for by a great work environment. I think it comes down to where you are financially and whether you are willing to sacrifice some pay in order to have an enjoyable place to work.

Mid-Continent Public Library2014-01-30
  4. "Library Page"

Former Employee - Library Page in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Low stress, flexible, good hours

Cons

Boring, tedious, disrespect, low pay

Mid-Continent Public Library2013-08-08
  5. "Poor"

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It pays more than the federal minimum wage

Cons

Low pay, salaried employees get rewarded for work done by hourly empoyees, half time for hourly employees is 8-12 hours a week

Mid-Continent Public Library2013-06-29
  6. "Friendly and Flexible"

Former Employee - Library Page in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really loved the people i worked with, great after school/summer job if you're in high school, very flexible hours

Cons

Mostly the patrons, but it comes with the territory. If you work in a public library, you're gonna deal with some weirdos.

Mid-Continent Public Library2013-02-12
  7. "Working at MCPL is a great experience."

Former Employee - Library Page in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Mid-Continent Public Library are the flexible hours, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people, and the knowledge you gain.

Cons

After working at Mid-Continent Public Library for nearly 2 years I would say that there were no cons, it was an entirely pleasurable experience.

Mid-Continent Public Library2012-08-27

"It started out as a really nice place to work, but over time became worse due to management in our department."

in Independence, MO

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library

Pros

The benefits are really good and paid for by the employer and time off is great! There is good work/life balance.

Cons

The management at least in the dept I work for is terrible. There is some micromanaging and we are treated like children. Communication between management and employees is very poor.

Mid-Continent Public Library2011-07-14
  9. "Decent Pay, but Few Hours and Lots of Training"

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time

Pros

12.10/hour for a part-time position that does not require a degree is pretty appealing and the job is not really demanding. It's a calm environment and you will meet plenty of interesting people who will strike up interesting conversations with you.

Cons

I rarely get more than 15 hours a week and the company caps part-time employees at so many hours per year (this was not specified in the interview). There is a lot of training involved, but the training is spread out and at times you will have nothing to do because you completed some training, but you're not trained enough to complete certain tasks. I would love to go through some of the interesting training offered by HQ so that I can excel as an employee, but this has not been made available to me.

Mid-Continent Public Library2017-05-22
  10. "Friendly and flexible place to work."

Current Employee - Clerk

I have been working at Mid-Continent Public Library part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. The people are friendly to work with. It is great to be able to help people find information. You get to interact with a wide range of people from small children to older adults as well as students and people with challenges.

Cons

The library industry is changing. There is some uncertainty about what the clerk job will be as the library changes with new technologies.

Mid-Continent Public Library2012-09-03