Mid-South Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Computer Operator"

Current Employee - Computer Operator in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Computer Operator in West Memphis, AR

Pros

Nice People, good benefits, freedom and relaxed environment.

Cons

The Pay is really bad. There are not many raises. Its an educational based position tied to ceartin salaries.

Advice to Management

Pay More

2. "You will learn a lot."

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in West Memphis, AR
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in West Memphis, AR

I have been working at Mid-South Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many wonderful people at the company that make working there a pleasure. There's definitely a strong sense of culture. Additionally, working in the field of education provides so much personal fulfilment.

Cons

The pay isn't too good so if you plan to work here, you really have to be passionate about what you're doing. Also, there aren't any benefits for part-time workers. Because it's an educational institute, there are several days a year when you are off work for holiday purposes. If you're part-time, you don't get paid, and this is detrimental to those of us who have responsibilities. I have been in my department for more than four years, and I have yet to receive a raise though I am always applauded on my excellent contributions to the department.

Advice to Management

Make sure to implement a morale program. It is essential that your associates are happy because they work directly with the clients. Discontentment among employees can, unfortunately, be expressed in their interaction with clients. If you treat your employees as if they're important, then they will go far and beyond to make sure that your department/organization is a success.

3. "Diesel Instructor"

I worked at Mid-South Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching was a great career knowing that i am helping others establish a career that they can feed their family.

Cons

Teaching previous employees or as i say a know it all..

5. "Computer Technician"

Former Employee - Computer Technician
    Former Employee - Computer Technician

I worked at Mid-South Community College full-time

Pros

Great Co-workers, Exposed to many different technologies, Relaxed environment, and flexible work schedule. Family atmosphere within the department, and between many departments.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant here. It effects your pay scale, your assignments, your credentials, and how you're treated. The pay is absolutely awful. If you're not one of the favorites of a VP, or director, don't expect anything with raises. I waited 8 months for a raise, and was constantly told "I'm working on it." or "Give me a bit more time to talk to the President." I worked here for years, and never received more than a 1-3% cost of living raise twice. The day before I leave, I find they're giving my replacement, with no prior experience a 12% increase in pay over mine. It's very mismanaged and as long as you don't care about the low pay, you're considered a good employee.

Advice to Management

Look into average pay scales for each position. Position pay is extremely outdated, and someone that has responsibilities of Help Desk, Network Engineer, and a Systems administrator deserves more than the pay of an Administrative assistant.

Look into department heads, watch out for favoritism. It's everywhere.

6. "About six control this place...if you are not one of those, they could care less about you."

Pros

It was a job and the 401 is great.

Cons

About 90% of all hires stay less than three years. When no salary increase was given, the upper six were given a 5k raise. The president is well taken care of by: free home (over 800k spent between purchase and fixing it up), free utilities, free truck, free truck insurance. Of course some of this comes from the "foundation" that the college wants everyone to contribute to. In addition, if someone does leave, their remaining salary is put into the president's "contingency fund"...so he can spend as he feels.

Their registration is a joke. The hours are chopped up during the day and it is a all employee participation. Students go through an entire day to register and are told at the end they have to pay something down if they just started FASFA...that they started at the beginning of the day. The registration office even locked their doors, turned out their lights so students would not 'bother them'. Turning away students because it wasn't within the college's timeframe.

If I were ASU, I wouldn't touch this college with a ten foot pole without going over all the books to see where the money goes and the engrossed salary ranges between the worker bees and the upper six.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to act like a politician (Bill Clinton). Treat your employees the way you do yourself. Upper six should be ashamed when they see their raise knowing others did not get one. Quit turning away students because it is not convenient for you at the time.

7. "Great Place to work and serve"

Pros

Great employees who are committed to their roles

Cons

Community is highly impoverished making funding a major challenge