Cover image for MidAmerican Energy

3.7
MidAmerican Energy President and CEO Adam Wright
Adam Wright

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Maintenance pay is good.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Good benefits better than most companies(in 13 reviews)
  • "nice people in the field(in 9 reviews)
  • "Great job security due; many employees have been with the Company for several decades.(in 5 reviews)
  • "It has some of the best PTO with 6 hours accrued each pay period with 2+ floater holidays a year.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MidAmerican Energy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Stabile Company

Oct 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Stability and steady work load. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

No cost living increase during inflation of 2022.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Pay

Sep 21, 2022 - Customer Coordinator in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, pay, and training

Cons

I have no cons to list

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Could be better.

Sep 25, 2022 - Maintenance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits.

Cons

Slow to hire new people so you are always understaffed. Always putting out fires and not doing enough routine maintenance. Causes more issues in the long run with equipment not being maintained.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Avoid if you have self respect

Aug 1, 2022 - Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some colleagues are okay to work with.

Cons

Management and leadership are more concerned with corporate politics and shareholder stats than their actual employees. Benefits are sub-part. There wasn't even a bereavement policy until recently. HR is a nightmare. When COVID got bad last year, they came out with a work from home policy, but for a 10% pay cut. Then less than a year later, they had to backpedal on that terrible policy after it completely backfired. Raises are awful and don't keep up with market conditions. They will put off giving much deserved promotions for as long as humanly possible, while driving employees to their breaking point. It is a constant expectation to perform work outside of your job description - WAY outside of your job description. Pay is sub-par and not aligned with other companies for the same type of jobs. 401K isn't fully vested for three years, so good luck if you leave before the three years is up. If you do tuition reimbursement with them, you have to sign an agreement to work there for a minimum of 5 years after graduation. They have a policy when you start that you get paid for two weeks after only working one week - great right? - no. That 40 hours comes out of your PTO payout when you leave the company (AKA take money from you at likely a higher rate than they paid you when you originally started). Constant "revolution" activities and restructures going on. Everything is a pis*ing match between departments. It's impossible to not get thrown under the bus minimum once per week. No one takes accountability for anything. Everything is a CYA mindset. Leaders flat out do not care if you have a work life balance, even though they claim it up, down, and sideways constantly. Management is wholly untrusting of employees. I could go on for a while, but I think that covers the basics.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Advancement Opportunities ONLY IF YOU LIVE IN DM

Aug 3, 2022 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are ok. Nice to work for a company dedicated to lowering emissions and providing renewable energy sources to all it's customers...if that is something you appreciate.

Cons

Upward mobility very limited for locations other than those in and around Des Moines. Biggest opportunities at corporate. Otherwise you will be waiting many, many years for any desirable positions with great pay...possibly decades if the persons in those positions are under 40.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Meh

Jun 15, 2022 - Electronics/Instrumentation Technician in Council Bluffs, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Maintenance pay is good. Benefits are expensive but good.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive, company will do anything including cutting coffee cups to save a buck.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not Recommended

Jul 5, 2022 - CEA/Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work and Teams Meetings

Cons

The 10-week training class quickly crammed in an overload of information. They spent a lot of time in the beginning going into great detail on company policies, goals, values, rules, and random general information. Then, on the skills and information you will need to know on calls, they quickly hopped from topic to topic without allowing much practice/repetition and rushed us through computer-based training modules. Most people felt they were not ready when we moved to taking live calls. In addition, every system seemed overly complicated. Even basic things like completing timecards were a big drawn-out process. I had over 5 years of similar work experience right before joining the training class as well as a bachelor's degree, so I was qualified to do this type of work. On my first overall assessment I scored 97% and was given positive feedback in a 1:1 evaluation. I was never made aware of any other assessment scores or told I was not meeting expectations. I was told several times that I do have excellent customer service skills. Management, trainers, and seasoned employees told me to expect it to take 1-2 years to master the job. We were told by training staff not to worry about speed in the training bay and assured mentors would help get everyone trained. We were not given a specific set criterion to meet while in training. Then, after just 4 days of taking live calls, with no negative feedback provided to me, I was told in a phone call that lasted 4 minutes that “management” did not feel I was meeting the (mystery) criteria/expectations and was termed. The information we were given in training on how we would be evaluated did not match the reality of the training environment, therefore I would not recommend working for this company. As a side note, keep in mind that several times a year you will be on-call 24/7. At any time of the day/night you could be called to start working up to a 12-hour shift. There will likely be 10-12 hours of mandatory overtime each month. Most regular schedules include a Saturday or Sunday, and you may not be given 2 days in a row off as part of your regular weekly schedule. Schedules change annually. Your supervisor will be determined by which schedule you are given, so you might have a new supervisor every year. Seniority for shift bids is primarily based on performance, not time with the company.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Opportunities

Jun 6, 2022 - IT Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MidAmerican Energy has a great supportive environment to work and grow your career.

Cons

I do not have any cons to list.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Pay, good benefits, flexible

Apr 28, 2022 - SCADA Analyst in Des Moines, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay, nice office spaces, schedules are good. Work Life Balance is good.

Cons

On call for many IT roles, pretty standard in the industry

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great

Apr 14, 2022 - Distribution Engineer in Fort Dodge, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, Pay and Work life balance

Cons

Nothing to say yet. We'll see

Viewing 1 - 10 of 130 Reviews
</>Embed

MidAmerican Energy Reviews FAQs

MidAmerican Energy has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 146 reviews left anonymously by employees. 53% of employees would recommend working at MidAmerican Energy to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MidAmerican Energy employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MidAmerican Energy. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

53% of MidAmerican Energy employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MidAmerican Energy 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MidAmerican Energy to be coworkers, compensation, benefits and the cons to be culture, career development, management.

Popular Careers with MidAmerican Energy Job Seekers