Midland Memorial Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Russell Meyers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I really enjoy the work with the culture of ownership and the motto of "proceed until apprehended" (in 6 reviews)

• I love the fact that Midland Memorial has vested so much into the culture of the hospital and an employees working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult upper management who do not care about their employees (in 2 reviews)

• The EHR is in the process of getting updated (in 2 reviews)

1. "Clinical Registered Nurse"

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital part-time

Pros

great work environment, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

need more staffing and less patient case load

2. "MMH"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse III in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse III in Midland, TX

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Ability to change policies and procedures as a bedside nurse
    -Opportunities to become involved
    -Good teamwork among other nurses and other interdisciplinaries

Cons

-When census is high, high patient workload.

3. "Be truthful"

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits not much more than that! Cafeteria food is good. Coworkers were great. The coworkers helped out and we worked as a team but we're never appreciated.

Cons

Work with a high workload while management sits on their butts. When the workload gets tolerable they flexed everyone off. People were advanced by the good old boy system, not by how hard you worked.they started firing all of the workers that had been there for years like 20+. Don't know if it was because of their higher pay more benefits or more experience and the management couldn't compete. I was not fired, I quit.

Advice to Management

Management sucks here you don't care and don't help out and don't appreciate your employees. We all notice when you sit on your butt and we work our butts off all day. I left Midland Memorial and was hired on as a manager at my very first job application because I have so much experience, my current employer appreciates me. Thank God I left and found a better place.

4. "Great Place"

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working for MMH, the culture is truly evolving into one that you are proud to be apart of. Co-workers and employees from other departments say hello when passing by in the hallways or waiting in line at the coffee shop. There are advancement opportunities within the departments and throughout the hospital. You don't have to wait long for benefits to kick in, PTO is fantastic, and they offer things like tuition assistance. This really is a great place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. "Run away"

Former Employee - Rrt in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Rrt in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many ! Pay was good

Cons

You will work hard. You will not be appreciated. You are a number not a name.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your employees and how hard they work. I used to get no lunch and basically not sit for 12 hours

6. "Amazing organization"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at Midland Memorial for almost a decade, and in that time I have seen the incredible growth of the organization. I am a nurse and active in many state and national organizations, where I can see MMH is far above average in technology and practice. The leadership team is great and I enjoy working with all my co-workers. I really enjoy the work with the culture of ownership and the motto of "proceed until apprehended". This allows me to make decisions on my own and I know leadership has my back if I am doing what I think is right. Many of my co-workers have never worked anywhere else, so they don't know what it's like to work for a bad organization. I have worked for some bad organizations, and that's why I appreciate what MMH is doing.

Cons

West Texas is hard to get nurses and staff to stay. Everything revolves around the price of oil, so when it goes down, everyone leaves the area. Fully staffing the units is a challenge, but I hear that the HR team has a lot of things in the works to try and fill those spots.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent in recruitment and retention efforts. Keep up the good work and be proud of how far we have come as an organization. We still have some bitter nurses in the organization that need to leave, but they do not represent the majority.

7. "Age/health discrimination"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I worked at Midland Memorial Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love my profession
    Most co-workers
    Pay
    Most benefit

Cons

Restrictions put on job performance
    NO appreciation
    Age discrimination
    Physical discrimination
    Upper management discrimination
    NO compassion

Midland Memorial Hospital Response

Jan 6, 2017 – Associate Director of Talent Acquisition

Midland Memorial Hospital appreciates your comments. We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind. It is our goal to provide the best patient experience possible AND to provide a productive and... More

"Over worked under paid and under appreciated"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Midland, TX

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some other people I work with are amazing and have become life long friends. The facility for the most part is nice to work in when things aren't breaking or falling apart. Certain management actually work hard and fight for their nurses.

Cons

NOT ENOUGH STAFF!! Possibly it's because we get paid less than any area hospital as full time staff. The only real way to make a living working less than 50+hours a week is to be a part of the recourse team because they make literally double if not two and a half times as much as a new hire full time employee. If the hospital would restrict how many resource nurses they were being allowed to hire then maybe the floors would be staffed with their own employees. The grass is not always green on the other side though. When a manager sees that a resource nurse is coming to the floor they will specifically give them a harder set of patients because "they get paid more to take he heavier patient loads". The clinical lader system is a joke... basically the only way to get a decent raise is to perform tasks for the hospital such as evidence based practice projects and earn a BSN instead of being based on performance or patient satisfaction. Most managers have no desire to help. They have little to no desire to actually help with patient care sometimes refusing to take a patient in order to keep a staff nurse from taking an unsafe patient load. Let's just say I've seen more nurses filing safe harbor in the last months than I ever would have imagined at such a large facility. This hospital has gone to hell in a hand basket in the last 2 years and everything they are trying to do to make it more cutting edge and "efficient" is making it harder and harder to actually work and care for patients which is the main reason most of us became nurses! As far as patient care goes... get ready to be treating a computer rather than your patients because the EHR system is difficult to navigate and is very redundant. I spend more time charting on my patients than I do actually caring for them... last and not least... it's saying something when you have most of the clinical managers on every floor stepping down or quitting even directors leaving and then their positions not being refilled... managers are jumping ship before they go down with the boat. And a lot of employees are following suit...

Midland Memorial Hospital Response

Jan 9, 2017 – Associate Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to address some of your concerns. Please allow me to address each area of concern you mention at MMH:

• “Not enough staff”: Midland Memorial Hospital has... More

"Manager"

Pros

The culture is communicated at every level. Administration is easily and readily available. HR thinks outside the box and is working creatively to bring the best talent to the organization.

Cons

Not specific to this hospital, but the healthcare system all across the country is slammed with changes constantly.

10. "Good Place to work"

I have been working at Midland Memorial Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

The attitude of employees from the bottom all the way to the executives is great. It is hard to find a more friendly place to work.

Cons

Salaries are low, but this is a county hospital