Midstate College Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 19 reviews

3.4
Midstate College CEO Meredith Bunch
Meredith Bunch
  1. "Terrific Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Midstate College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Midstate is a small, privately owned college Everyone here is treated like family with caring and compassion Everyone's opinion and suggestions are taken into account on a daily basis, we are encouraged to make quality improvements to our departments and make suggestions that may help other departments as well or the college in general Everyone is willing to step up and help out and to work together as a... team Flexibility in scheduling

Cons

Being a for-profit institution, there are many more regulations and requirements from state and Federal agencies that we have to meet and adhere to in comparison to not-for-profits. Midstate has risen to each of these challenges for over 130 years and will continue to do so.

Midstate College2019-02-21

"Midstate College is CLOSED - Bankruptcy"

Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Midstate College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Midstate College is CLOSED - Bankruptcy declared

Cons

Bankruptcy has been declared and the college is closed after 131 years. The CEO spent too much money on indulgences and erected a student center that was excessive in size and scope.

Advice to Management

Should have been a little more fiscally responsible when enrollment was good. That would have allowed the college to withstand the 2.5 year Illinois budget battle that stopped MAP grants and left your students unable to afford school.

Midstate College2019-08-17
  3. "Midstate College is a great place to work."

I have been working at Midstate College

Pros

The faculty, staff, and administration are very supportive of one another. Everyone makes themselves available for each other, as well as for the students.

Cons

I can’t think of any cons at this time.

Midstate College2019-02-01

"Faculty"

I have been working at Midstate College full-time

Pros

*Family atmosphere *Flexible scheduling for faculty *Nice office space

Cons

*Limited departmental budget; reduced options to attend conferences.

Advice to Management

*Add more master-level programs

Midstate College2018-10-17

"Low standards in P-Town"

I worked at Midstate College full-time for more than a year

Pros

A decent amount of paid vacation time. The campus closes for two weeks over Christmas. Laid-back environment. Great to help non-traditional students achieve their goal of completing college.

Cons

This college brags about its “family” atmosphere, which is code for dysfunction and preference for hiring unqualified family members even when regular staff are laid off. Expect very low pay with no raises or opportunities for advancement while the president doesn’t show any adverse financial effects from the super-low student enrollment rate. They prefer to hire adjunct faculty and pay them horribly, rather than... investing in full-time faculty to better the college. They have no standards for students- they will accept anyone!! Straight D’s in high school? No problem! If you can get loans, you can go here. When students start classes, they will continue to be treated like low-achieving high school students. The college preys on low-income students who are not made aware of the financial burden of attending this pricey for-profit college. Admissions is set up as a 1-stop shop, so you can sign up for college on your way home from the grocery store. I’m amazed that this place is still open.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people and treat them well. Raise standards for incoming and current students. Don't be satisfied with the bare minimum.

Midstate College2018-09-26

"If only zero stars was an available option..."

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Midstate College part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best reasons to work at Midstate College? Uhhh.... Yeah, I'm drawing a blank, here. Seriously, I've got nothing nice to say.

Cons

The institution has been around since 1888. If things keep going the way they are currently, I doubt they'll see their 135th anniversary in five years. I think the criteria for admission is that you have a name, a SSN, and, the ability to either pay tuition via loans or the ability to land a bunch of grants. Student quality is at an all-time low. They will not turn anyone away, because, well, they want the... revenue. The last pay raise to adjunct instructors was a paltry $0.40/hour. This was over the course of at least TEN years, too, so, that averages $0.04/hour/year. That's not something of which to be proud; that is a slap in the face, an utter INSULT to the folks who have made your institution what it once was. Adjunct Instructors at other local institutions make almost 1.5 times what Midstate pays. Trust me, the instructors know it, too. The administration is a joke. Most are grossly-unqualified to do their jobs, and, are only in their positions because the kiss the CEO's butt every chance they get, OR, are members of the family. CEO. What can I say? Awful. She's awful. She is NOT a leader; she does NOT have the best interests of the institution, the faculty, the staff, OR the students in-mind. She only has the best interests of herself on her mind. Anything she wants, like a new car, or a payraise, all she has to do is whine to the Board (which consists largely of her family and family friends), and, the princess gets anything and everything she wants. Spoiled brat at the helm of a company = horrible outlook for the company. This is what we have here, 100%, and, she has proven time and time again that she will not lower her lifestyle for the benefit of the masses. True leaders? Will.

Advice to Management

The sacrifices need to come from YOU. Not the faculty, not the staff, but, YOU. If you want this institution to be around 5 years from now; if you CARE about your family's legacy, you'll make some long-overdue sacrifices. Do this now, before it's too late.

Midstate College2018-09-17

"Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Peoria, IL

I worked at Midstate College full-time for more than a year

Pros

The supportive faculty helped a lot of students that previously attended two or more schools unsuccessfully (or never aspired to a college degree until later in life) finish their diplomas and degrees--a terrific thing. While I was there the school outperformed any other school in the market area to train students to interview and network well to attain the real goal for them-a better life for themselves and their... families. I was there so see the whole process happen for several people, and the good things about Midstate made it possible.

Cons

Current and present operating management punishes initiative, yet pretends to worry every quarter when enrollments are down after they discourage and even thwart good ideas from program directors and staff to promote the school to major area employers with the very students they could have helped a great deal. Midstate management richly deserves the downfall of the past few years. If you choose to work here you... will never experience so much backwards arrogance and dishonesty from such average people.

Advice to Management

Outsource all management, keep entire family on the payroll but do not allow them on campus as a condition for getting the big and easy check.

Midstate College2017-06-06
  8. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Midstate College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great group of students who are willing to learn. Small class sizes. Assistance is always provided for a better understanding. They will also work with your schedule and communicate through Skype if they have to.

Cons

1-2 class offerings per semester. They need to really get their name out there. This is a great school but the enrollment is lacking. They need to push their online program and set some parameters for students that are more strenuous than what's in place.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management. Everyone here is super nice and helpful. Any question I have is answered timely and they are constantly changing to stay competitive.

Midstate College2016-07-21

"Department Assistant"

Department Assistant in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Midstate College for more than a year

Pros

There are some amazing, brilliant people working there that care very much about the students and their jobs.

Cons

Administration needs to acknowledge the amazing people they have working there, and make the most of their abilities.

Midstate College2016-02-09

"Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Peoria, IL

I worked at Midstate College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small student population; small class sizes. Offered various delivery methods for classes including fave to face and blended learning. Offers individual attention based on learner needs.

Cons

Family owned business where The direction changed once the daughter stepped in. The staff seemed very "clicky". Policies changed in regard to pay without my knowledge. I relocated and was traveling 2 1/2 hours and mileage was a part of the expense where I was reimbursed. It was decided after my travels they would no longer reimburse me. Left and never looked back. It was a great experience until leadership changed.

Midstate College2015-11-14