Midwest Cellular Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good pay untill you get into management (in 2 reviews)

• We are like a family, after all the crap upper management throws at us, we have stuck together (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • And they (upper management) use fear management, often threatening to fire you (in 13 reviews)

• They commission structure was nearly cut in half in october 2015 (in 8 reviews)

1. "Glad its over"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you work hard and are dedicated it is fast and easy to move up. Good co-workers made some great friends

Cons

Long hours, if you move up you will be asked to work long hours, if you end up working close to the owners they will take advantage of your time.

Advice to Management

Work life balance is a must, not only for your workers, but for yourself also. Don't let yourself get pigeonholed into worked crazy hours for a slice of the pie

2. "Sold"

Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Midwest has been a great company to work for. Unfortunately they just sold to any other company. Hoping the new company will be the same as Midwest cellular

Cons

Lots of changes always happening. Store are always growing and switching people around to make the stores the best possible.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the great opportunity you have given all of us to work for a great company. I know you all did care about us.

3. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, awesome incentives and contests. Fun environment at meetings and on conference calls.

Cons

Bad upper management, constant changing of rules and pay. They seem to make it harder to get paid every few months.

Advice to Management

Become more involved and realize that sometimes you just can't hit certain metrics. There isn't always a black and white side to things.

4. "You're just a number to them."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are wonderful. My manager is wonderful. We are like a family, after all the crap upper management throws at us, we have stuck together.

Cons

They commission structure was nearly cut in half in october 2015. The company lied and said they took out our box pay, but added more pay somewhere else. They did not.
    Paycheck boils down to about $10 an hour. The commission pretty much covers your taxes.
    Nobody in the business office does anything. They do not respond to emails if you need something necessary for the store, but they email security cam photos of what you are missing/what's wrong with your store. All nagging, no productivity.
    They forced one of our sales reps into a manager position, and then worked him to death. No help or training.
    Overall, you are just a number to this large company. They write you up for anything and everything. And they (upper management) use fear management, often threatening to fire you.
    I worked at one of the top selling stores in our market, and saw no recognition or reward when we did well, only threats when we had a slow week.

Advice to Management

Get out. Get out while you can.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. People I worked with on a day to day basis

That was literally the best part of the job. They people I worked with day in and day out were fantastic. I am still friends with some of them!

Cons

1. Micromanaging Upper Management
    2. Have to suck up if you want to get promoted
    3. Kiss your weekends/ Holidays good bye
    4. Horrible Commission Structure - Super Hard Goals
    5. High Turnover of management

Those are top 5 things that are wrong with this company, but the list continues. The Upper Management loves to spy on their cameras. They constantly are hounding you for reports or inventory - even if you just got into the store 5 min ago. Constantly was passed up for promotion because I voiced my opinion about how things were run. Granted, that might not be the best thing to do if you are looking to get promoted but don't make it obvious and promote someone who has been there for 3 months and doesn't have any manager experience. Will all retail jobs, you can kiss your weekend and holidays good bye. The Commission structure is constantly changing and they are making it harder and harder to get paid a decent wage. I sold 35 phones in August of 2015 and close to 80 phones in September 2015 (busy store and only 3 staff) and my commssion was only $100 more than it was in August. That is crazy and not okay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and pretend that you actually care. Be involved in the business and not just sitting in your Virgin Island home 11 out of the 12 months.

"Absolutely Aweful"

Former Employee - Selling Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Selling Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Midwest Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits after 90 days, easy if you're a sales rep

Cons

Where do I start? Coming from a cellular background previously I would say this place is really bad. I didn't get paid for the first month i was there, and i had to fight for my first 2 paychecks. When i received my Healthcare cards my info was wrong. Still haven't received the new ones. I was considered a selling manager which meanings i manage and sell. Which is extremely difficult but can be done. Unfortunately then barely pay you enough to do one of those jobs. I was micromanaged the whole time i was there. Conference calls 5 out 7 days a week even on your days off. In addition, i was required to work every friday, Monday, saturday. If i wanted one of those days off i had to use PTO lol. This job is the only place ive ever seen the sales reps have more power than the managers. An absolute joke of a company.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, and pay your managers better.

7. "Potential for Professional Growth"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Getting to see the latest and greatest cellular phones, devices, and technology before the general public. Being a part of a TEAM that helps each other out with sales. The ability to *somewhat* determine your pay by working hard to obtain your own personal goals. Free training(s), 401K, Medical/Dental Insurance, and Vacation Pay.

Cons

The compensation structure changes quite a few times throughout the year. Partially due to AT&T's metrics and partially due to the company's metrics. The qualifiers are sometimes hard to meet depending on the location where you work/the strength of the team you are a part of. Some team members who are new to sales don't realize that they can negatively affect everyone's pay. Some managers also seem to not care/don't lead enough by example.

Advice to Management

Listen more closely to your front line. The Sales Representatives are the ones who are in contact with the customers and deal with them on a daily basis. We see the good, the bad, and downright ugly from customers AND store leadership. Calm down on the almost hourly check-ins, and let the representatives have some breathing room. Not everyone likes or needs to be micromanaged. Lastly, when a representative is doing well, ACKNOWLEDGE it, and encourage them to keep up the great work! Instead of asking what they will produce next, ask them what their PERSONAL GOALS are. This will ensure that your representatives feel valued and that you are trying to help them GROW within the company!!

8. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enticing and Challenging work environment. Ability to control how much you make. Constant growth and the ability to re-locate seamlessly. Always on the front of new technology and innovative training styles. Contests and incentives for focus on key new products and services. Leadership and ownership are constantly encouraging you to hit personal and professional goals while offering the support to do so.

Cons

I haven't found a company that will give anyone $35k+, in house training, no out of pocket starting expense and Benefits to sit at home and watch Netflix... However, playing with the latest and greatest tech while learning how to make new "friends" as customers come in is as close to a second place as I could think of.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! People are really good about yelling when it "hurts". It's a tough program sometimes but all industries today have to be. It takes $10 and an internet connection to challenge major corporations and open up a "new" thing that people flock to. The only way to be competitive in an established environment is to stretch those who are good to be better, challenge then compliment those who are the best and let the one's who don't want to keep up to go about their day.

"An ok job"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You always get to play with the newst technology and stay update to date on them. The people I work with are good for the most part.

Cons

Upper Management would make the store managers work 50+ hours a week and would make cancel your personal plans. There iis no work/life balance for store managers, You still have to be attached to your cell phone even if you're half around the world. The pay structure for sales reps is horrible. You cannot make a living wage with the current commission structure for sales reps and managers. Benefits are horrible if you have family as the company only subsidizes and individual plan.

Advice to Management

Whenever a pay change comes, you need to make an open discussion. The owners and sales directors say that the company doesn't take money away, that is a lie. My sales reps are making half of what they used to get paid for almost double the sales. You also need to give base pay raises to your managers and sales rep. If the owners would realize how everything works rather than living in the British Virgin Islands, this would be a healthier company.

"Horrible"

I have been working at Midwest Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Certain stores have great employees, others don't. I literally can not think of any pros from that.

Cons

Everything. They claim you'll have great pay and my checks come out to about 700.. That is almost the same amount made at McDonald's or triple the work!

Advice to Management

Don't work here either, we have had a turnover rate of 3 managers in the past year. They demoted last assistant manager because he was making too much!