Midwest Employers Casualty Company Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Intern in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody in this company was very nice

Cons

Not a lot going on

"Reinsurance Director"

Former Employee - Vice President Und in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President Und in Chicago, IL

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable and owned by strong company.

Cons

Poor Management with limited industry knowledge.

Advice to Management

Work harder at understanding who your knowledgeable people are and work hard to keep them.

3. "mecc review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company (More than a year)

Pros

Mecc has really good benefits

Cons

Will always be things you don't like.

"bad management"

Current Employee - Regional Underwriting Manager in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Underwriting Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has some good technology to use, and provides the best benefit in the world, an employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

Poor "here they come, watch them go away"management.

Advice to Management

Have some stability among your VPs and their reports. Timothy J. Galvin was not there when I worked at MECC, so I have no opinion of him.

"Warning to IT Prospective Employees"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company (More than a year)

Pros

Employees were a great bunch. Those remaining have been there a really long time and therefore there is almost a family atmosphere.

Cons

IT Management's primary concern and focus is on the bottom line.
    Looking below them to those they supervise it means salaries, command and control. Looking above it means protecting themselves.
    It is not on people. It is not on career development.
    They cannot do innovation, they cannot do change, they cannot do transformation.
    These disciplines and ideas require risk and imagination not entrenchment and status quo.
    IT Management is devoid of the qualities necessary to today's IT.
    They lip service change and transformation. Be very wary. Ask about IT history.

Advice to Management

Has IT moved forward of backward in the last 5 years?
    Is IT a help or a hindrance to the business?
    How prevalent is the shadow IT of the Actuary and Claims department? There is a reason why the business is NOT a partner with IT. IT has become a drag on the speed of business.

"Formerly great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

It was a great place when I started there (I was there more than 5 years). Great culture, reasonable expectations, nice bonus.

Cons

Turned into an extremely lousy place to work. Several downsizing activities (I only survived the first few). The downsizing that took me out was obviously aimed at reducing employee salaries.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap. If you want truly talented staff, you have to pay for them.

8. "Informal easy job"

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart staff, good unit level managers, warm and welcoming environment, most if the time good life work balance, casual Fridays, summer compressed schedule. Leadership transparency.

Cons

Micro management, in formal policy and procedures causes some unorganized situations. Luck of professional staff, some micro management, not much career growth or plans.

Advice to Management

Set up plans for future projects and employees career

"Went from the best company I ever worked for to the worst in just a few years."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The quality of the non-management employees is top-notch, and working relationships among us were always congenial and productive. Good benefits.

Cons

Top management has gotten very poor in recent years. MECC has a bad habit of usually hiring managers from outside instead of promoting from within. This is hurts morale. An especially harmful case occurred when a VP of I.T. was hired from outside who brought in his own two directors. Two good long-term employees were laid off to make room for the incoming directors and all existing middle managers were demoted. This, along with a new system of measuring performance accompanied by constant threats of firings, has created a climate of suspicion and fear.

Another serious con is the despicable system MECC has of laying off or firing employees. It is unannounced, abrupt and very offensive. The process turns even faithful, loyal employees into enemies when they leave.

Advice to Management

When this company has gone from best to worst for me in just a few years, something has changed for the worse in top management. I would advise management to give some serious attention to the cons I have mentioned along with those of other employees.

"Good People, Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Attorney in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Attorney in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time

Pros

Generally well-respected company because of relationships established by Account Managers, Underwriters, and Claims personnel. When given latitude to do things "the right way", much good can be accomplished.

Cons

Too much micro-management. Job description and expectations constantly changed without consulting or notifying me. Management too reactionary and emotional. No long-term plan.

11. "Changing from a great place to work to a so-so place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Midwest Employers Casualty Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compressed work week between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The people - some of the best people I have worked with. Most (non-management) are supportive of one another and willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

Cons

Changed from of culture of cooperation and trust to one of blame and fear. Changed from a place of working together to correcting mistakes and move on, to a place of blaming others when something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees again and realize that motivation through fear actually hurts motivation and overall morale.