Milestone Internet Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Pros
  • Free breakfast on Fridays, not much else good to say, co-workers are nice and can relate to the hell you are going through (in 9 reviews)

• You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • A friend of mine started and had an email from a previous account managers client asking her to update something on his site (in 26 reviews)

• management is only concern for ETA and getting work done rather than concerned about employee work life balance and mental health (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Job! Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a while like most of people here, It is a very nice work environment and we have a good vibe at the office, I am talking about Santa Clara, where I am. Teams have good relationships and work good together, you have direct access to senior level for questions about analytics, strategy, SEO, PPC.... You would learn everyday about digital marketing, they really do the best SEO for hospitality industry out there and the work is just nice.... To optimize hotel's websites of all types... from Hawaii to NYC! Really love it!
    Of course, the free breakfast, free food and happy hours also help ;-)
    Bottom line: I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Sometimes workload can be overwhelming and demanding! The company is evolving which is not bad, but they just need to keep it going and do it for real!

Advice to Management

Some upper management is still a little old fashion...

"You're only as strong as your weakest link - here it's the Founder and Senior Leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Friendly junior staff and middle managers and free breakfast on Friday.
    Nothing else which is why I left!!!

Cons

This company will never progress because the Founder and senior execs act like team leads. Constant micromanagement and the inability to let others take control creates an environment of negativity and confusion. Employee churn is out of control and never discussed but clients have started to notice and are canceling at a higher rate. This has trigger even more micromanagement and impulsive choices which forces more to quit at higher levels.

We're on the race to the bottom.

We're always told our products are better and clients love us yet they continue to leave as fast as we can sign new business. Senior leaders strongly believe and openly admit that the services industry (in relation to SEO/PPC side of business) can never be profitable and don't try. The money is all dumped into, at best, slightly above average website products. This is not true whatsoever. There are hundreds of companies that make millions simply doing SEO and PPC.

The sheer incompetence is off the charts. People are yelled at, threatened to be fired, and more by the Founder and other execs.

Advice to Management

1- Stop creating fake reviews... it's obvious to everyone
    2- Stop micromanaging
    3- Hire more experienced people
    4- Give proper raises
    5- Don't think of your service sector as just a means to fund your tech products
    6- SELL THE COMPANY TO SOMEONE THAT CAN RUN IT
    7- DONT LIE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, everyone talks to each other and knows the truth... you're only hurting yourself.

"Reckoning needed., proceed with caution!"

Current Employee - Customer Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Management in Chicago, IL

Pros

CMS technology
    Good people
    Location
    Leads and some directors knowledgeable
    Breakfast

Cons

This place is like the lego movie, everyone is singing everything is AWESOME,, awaiting taco Tuesday, while Lord. Business Evil is using her krazy glue to prevent any real movement. Or progress. T he problem is most of us including all the leads and middle management are spending time trying to avoid the lordess'' glue gun.

Advice to Management

Put down the krazy glue, let the people do our jobs.,,,before its too late,
    We are quite astute and completely capable orf recognizing a bad plot line,

We just need Batman to save us,,,, oh wait,,, that's a different movie,

Creative types proceed with caution

"7 Years Strong - Still Going"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been working sales here for 5.5 years, worked the call center 1.5, and I can only say that you are given more than enough of the tools to succeed in both. I was given a sales position with zero experience straight out of college and I am here to date, so as long as you are a competent individual, you should have no problem making money.

Cons

Open office environment is at times distracting

Advice to Management

Could use more team building opportunities outside of work

"Consider the Reviews Before Applying"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays
    Happy hour every other week
    Good benefits

Cons

Favoritism is so apparent
    Management does not listen to feedback. Very set in their ways
    Milestone thinks it is the leaders in the digital marketing industry, thinking they're just as good as Google so they do not accept criticism.
    Turnover is extremely high. At LEAST two people leave the company each month.
    Little help from management. You are expected to figure everything out yourself.
    Account manager is expected to do everything with around 40 clients which is nearly impossible but Milestone will never admit to this

Please consider the reviews before accepting the job! There is a reason why they have such a bad rating here. RUN AWAY! The only good thing is free breakfast and happy hour. NO GROWTH, EXTREMELY DEMANDING, MANAGEMENT IS A JOKE, CLIENTS AND EMPLOYEES ARE LEAVING ON A DAILY BASIS

Advice to Management

Realize that if employees and clients are leaving the company on a daily basis, it is because the company needs major work

Feb 22, 2017 – HR Director

Dear Employee, Thank you for you feedback and we truly appreciate your comments. I'm inviting you to speak with me about your concerns and also to use our team and internal meetings to voice your ... More

6. "Growing & Getting Better and better"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing (More than a year)

Pros

My experience with Milestone was very positive from the start. I believe they are the best at what they do and are very passionate both about hotels and about technology. Salary and benefits were great and I feel like my opinion was always valued. I left only because of a professional growth opportunity....I was truly happy here and loved the sales team, especially the new leadership on the team. I am sure they are going to get very organized and even better at what they do in the next year so watch out!

Cons

I was remote so my learning curve was very long, especially since my background was sales and not technology, but I always had support both from my boss and the CEO. I think there was a lack of organization when I entered, but the company has made some amazing new hires on the executive level that I am sure will take the company and the team to the next level.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and focusing on organizing each team. Become as agile as possible so that projects can be turned around as quickly as possible. Never lose the passion that the company was founded on.

"Mismanaged, underfunded and bad communication"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide a great service to their clients. Really up to date with current trends and the latest SEO updates.

Cons

Where do I begin? I guess from the beginning.

From the first week I started, I should have seen the multiple red flags that were being thrown up. First was the high rate of turnover this company has. Everyone who isn't a senior manager had only been there for roughly a year and after that most of them would leave. The company really seems like a stepping stone for something better. Another flag was how much distain all of the vendors had for the company. After speaking with multiple vendors the first week I was there, I could hear how much they all disliked the company due to lack of performance, under-delivering and consistant late payments.

The more I got to know the company, the less I wanted to be there. Every department was underfunded and was constantly short-staffed. There was no department that seemed to be up-to-speed on their projects because all of didn't have the proper manpower to execute all the tasks that needed to get done. Not only were they short staffed, but they had to cover another department's work. Work was being assigned to departments that should not be handling those tasks and expected to understand internal software that no one outside of the company would understand. There's also a serious communication problem. The senior staff would instruct you on how to perform one assignment, when that doesn't work, they lose their mind asking you why you followed their instructions and didn't do it in a way that wasn't instructed.

There's also a horrible problem communicating with other departments. You would think that organic search, PPC and social media would be in constant communication with each other like most companies. Nope, this company thinks that ZERO communication between those companies is important. Coming from a company that pretty much owns SEO, I can say that all of those departments NEED to communicate and be on the same page at all times.

Advice to Management

Hire some people to help every department, not just to replace whoever's leaving. Work on your teams' communication, not just give boring presentations every week. Stop putting so much pressure on people to present items when it's completely unnecessary. Let people work on things that they actually instead of work that they shouldn't be handling in the first place.

"This company is a mess"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

You'll get free breakfast on Friday. Every other Friday there is a "happy hour". You'll also get a paycheck. That's about all that's good about Milestone.

Cons

I guess I'll go through each of the categories provided

Career Opportunities: basically none. You have to fight to get a title change and raise after you've attained the requirements for that position. Your manager will not remember to even consider you for the advancement unless you actually set a meeting with them to let them know you want a raise. Outside of title changes and raises, there is no upward mobility at Milestone. 90% of managers, team leads, and directors are hired from the outside. A really good way to get a raise at Milestone is to put in your 2 weeks notice and wait for the counter offer. Unfortunately most Account Managers are not considered valuable enough to get a big counter offer but anyone else in the company can get a very nice improvement in salary if they decide to stay after they've accepted a job at another company. Milestone is very bad at letting their employees know they're valued until they're ready to walk out the door.

Compensation & Benefits: Not great relative to the industry. Salary is well below the industry average. You'll be eligible for a $2000 quarterly bonus if you meet your KPI's. When it's time for you to receive your bonus, your manager will find a technicality where you won't be able to receive your full bonus. Your manager isn't allowed to give everyone full bonuses on your team so someone will have to suffer. They'll also make a couple unrealistic goals every quarter so you're guaranteed to not receive what you want to. The 401k program is very underwhelming. Insurance coverage is surprisingly OK with options for free medical, dental, and optical insurance. The amount ot PTO is sad. As a new employee, you will have to work for 3 months until you can start accruing PTO. You will accrue at the rate of 10 hours per month. You will have to work at Milestone for 7 months until you earn a week of PTO. If you have to call off of work for any reason (you're sick, your child is sick, your basement is flooded, etc.), it will be taken out of your PTO.

Work/Life Balance: Very bad. Working from home is not allowed. You won't ever get flex time unless Milestone requires you to come in early or stay late. You must be at work from 8 - 5 with an hour lunch break. Most people leave the office at 5 on the dot.

Senior Management: The "President/Founder" is the worst thing about this business. She is very good at driving away the best talent Milestone manages to acquire. She micromanages everything so badly that she cannot keep straight what she has told someone in the past. If you work directly with her, you will hear her constantly contradicting herself one day to the next. All you have to do is sit in on one meeting with her and you will realize how scatter-brained and unfocused she is. She will literally scream at people for something she just realized at that moment. She has a very bad problem with screaming and talking down to people. If you get a job at Milestone, pray that you do not ever have to work directly with her. Even if you don't every work directly with her, you can tell how the company suffers under her very poor leadership.

Culture and Values: Okay. In the Chicago office, some people hang out with each other outside of work. Literally everybody talks about how terrible it is to work at Milestone. It's easy to say nobody actually likes working at Milestone. Everybody is either very open to recruiters at different companies or actively searching for new employment. It's amazing to think what this company would be capable of if the employees actually liked working here and Milestone didn't create such a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Employees are unhappy. Do something about it. Update your ancient HR policies. Address the things I brought up above fix it. If you don't, you can expect turnover to increase.

Nov 17, 2016 – HR Director

Dear Employee, Thank you for you feedback and we truly appreciate your comments. Milestone’s Personal time off policy is competitive with industry standard and includes 3 weeks of personal time ... More

"Could not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are clusters of employees with-in the individual departments that exhibit a high level of professionalism and are a joy to work with.

Cons

It seems that the executive staff is lacking in integrity which permeates throughout the management team.

Advice to Management

Respect and value your employees.

Nov 14, 2016 – HR Director

Dear long term employee, I appreciate your response but wanted to invite you to have a conversation with me or your leadership about these concerns. We take ethics and our code of conduct very ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager/E-strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some talented individuals that work at Milestone. Predominantly young office. The Chicago office is almost entirely client services, but it is expanding to house a few people from each department. There is free breakfast every Friday morning, and happy hours every other Friday. The office is about to move to a great location on Michigan avenue. From my experience, the management/director team is really nice and usually helpful. The training system is great and there are always opportunities to learn more about a specific subject. The company values innovation so much as to make it a quarterly initiative for everyone. There is a quarterly bonus structure with pretty obtainable goals. Colleagues are always willing to chime in and help when you need it. HR is helpful and benefits are good and getting better as the company grows.

Cons

Sometimes expectations to keep client accounts are a little out of hand. With a 0 cancellation policy with no leeway for clients that may go in-house etc. is a little over the top. The leadership is sometimes overly-confident in their products and services, rather than focusing on what they can improve. It sometimes comes off as "blind faith" when in fact there are plenty of competitors that offer similar products and services. Some of the systems and processes in place are a little outdated and frustrating to use at times. The industry the company is involved in constantly changes, but the world and processes rarely change. This can cause a lag in what can be done internally due to systems and what the market/client demands. For being a digital agency, a lot of people have issues with technology and there is NO wiggle room in working remotely. The PTO is also very scarce for the industry.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to accept that the company is doing now is not what is going to work next week and so-on. Being more transparent about capabilities and admitting when teams or products are not up-to-par with the industry and work to develop some solid strategy to improve. Finally, do not penalize team members when an account leaves if it is truly out of their hands - It is a fast-moving industry and in the agency world, fluctuations in business moving around is to be expected.