Milestone Internet Marketing Reviews in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

2.7
Milestone Internet Marketing CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free breakfast on Fridays, not much else good to say, co-workers are nice and can relate to the hell you are going through (in 9 reviews)

• You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • A friend of mine started and had an email from a previous account managers client asking her to update something on his site (in 26 reviews)

• management is only concern for ETA and getting work done rather than concerned about employee work life balance and mental health (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Job! Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a while like most of people here, It is a very nice work environment and we have a good vibe at the office, I am talking about Santa Clara, where I am. Teams have good relationships and work good together, you have direct access to senior level for questions about analytics, strategy, SEO, PPC.... You would learn everyday about digital marketing, they really do the best SEO for hospitality industry out there and the work is just nice.... To optimize hotel's websites of all types... from Hawaii to NYC! Really love it!
    Of course, the free breakfast, free food and happy hours also help ;-)
    Bottom line: I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Sometimes workload can be overwhelming and demanding! The company is evolving which is not bad, but they just need to keep it going and do it for real!

Advice to Management

Some upper management is still a little old fashion...

"Mismanaged, underfunded and bad communication"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide a great service to their clients. Really up to date with current trends and the latest SEO updates.

Cons

Where do I begin? I guess from the beginning.

From the first week I started, I should have seen the multiple red flags that were being thrown up. First was the high rate of turnover this company has. Everyone who isn't a senior manager had only been there for roughly a year and after that most of them would leave. The company really seems like a stepping stone for something better. Another flag was how much distain all of the vendors had for the company. After speaking with multiple vendors the first week I was there, I could hear how much they all disliked the company due to lack of performance, under-delivering and consistant late payments.

The more I got to know the company, the less I wanted to be there. Every department was underfunded and was constantly short-staffed. There was no department that seemed to be up-to-speed on their projects because all of didn't have the proper manpower to execute all the tasks that needed to get done. Not only were they short staffed, but they had to cover another department's work. Work was being assigned to departments that should not be handling those tasks and expected to understand internal software that no one outside of the company would understand. There's also a serious communication problem. The senior staff would instruct you on how to perform one assignment, when that doesn't work, they lose their mind asking you why you followed their instructions and didn't do it in a way that wasn't instructed.

There's also a horrible problem communicating with other departments. You would think that organic search, PPC and social media would be in constant communication with each other like most companies. Nope, this company thinks that ZERO communication between those companies is important. Coming from a company that pretty much owns SEO, I can say that all of those departments NEED to communicate and be on the same page at all times.

Advice to Management

Hire some people to help every department, not just to replace whoever's leaving. Work on your teams' communication, not just give boring presentations every week. Stop putting so much pressure on people to present items when it's completely unnecessary. Let people work on things that they actually instead of work that they shouldn't be handling in the first place.

"Could not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are clusters of employees with-in the individual departments that exhibit a high level of professionalism and are a joy to work with.

Cons

It seems that the executive staff is lacking in integrity which permeates throughout the management team.

Advice to Management

Respect and value your employees.

Nov 14, 2016 – HR Director

Dear long term employee,

I appreciate your response but wanted to invite you to have a conversation with me or your leadership about these concerns. We take ethics and our code of conduct very... More

"Toxic From The Top Down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

You will work with a few other smart and talented people. Other than that truly nothing.

Cons

Toxic work environment: prepare to be screamed at by the 'president' for things that go wrong that you have no involvement with
    Low company morale: everyone working here hates it
    'Management': everything is micromanaged, nothing gets done
    No pride in work: product / workplace issues raised multiple times are ignored my management

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees in the United States like they are your workers in India. Also stop with the fake reviews on Glassdoor, you're not fooling anyone.

Jan 28, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback and concerns. Please talk with us about events that would be enjoyable to you and ways to improve. We have several events planned for each location that were well... More

"Unethical and inefficient"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There are some quite talented people that work at Milestone but unfortunately the business model and management is horrible and only cultivates bad habits and poor customer relations.

Cons

Milestone Internet Marketing is a greedy company that encourages employees to send fake reports to clients in order to hide the lack of progress and/or to give false data that gives the impression of progress. There is no training or account management its literally a bombardment of accounts and its your job to lie to them all other wise you will be replace by a more will applicant. I really felt like I sold my soul professionally working here, and the price was cheap.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on customer care, 1-2-1 business models, skill cultivation, and actually encouraging progress not just lying to clients to keep you on the payroll.

Nov 23, 2015 – HR Director

Dear Milestone team member

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate you drawing our attention to possible concerns. The client reporting is automatically generated directly from Analytics... More

"Great company, with great people, product, and vision"

I have been working at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

Milestone is a great company to work for. Having worked for other companies in the past, this company has a lot going for it. For starters, coworkers at Milestone are some of the hardest working, smart, caring people I have seen in my career. They care a lot about their customers, put a lot of blood and sweat in the products they are working on, and genuinely want to make Milestone a great place to work in. Also, Milestone is working on some of the most cutting-edge products in the digital marketing space. As with any product out there, there are bound to be issues, bugs, and the product team is transparent about these issues with the entire company to provide transparency. However the product team is always on top of getting the issues resolved in a timely manner and ensuring the needs to end-users are being met. All in all, I have had nothing but just great experience working at Milestone.

Cons

The environment at Milestone is very fast-paced and, at times, it can feel like there are too many things going on at the same time. I have to organize myself, plan my day, week in advance to ensure I succeed at Milestone. With the discipline of time management, multi-tasking, and escalating issues to upper management at the first sign of trouble, I have been able perform and succeed at Milestone.

Advice to Management

Create an internal avenue to listen to employees’ feedback and ensure actions are taken from the feedback and communicated to the employees.

"A decent place to start"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time

Pros

A lot of employees really had a bad time with the president of the company, but I always found her pleasant. She was definitely a bit all over the place, but very good at what she does and very passionate about SEO and hospitality. Lots of people here worked well into the night to keep up with the workload. I didn't. I would advise current and future employees to make their lives a lot less stressful and just do the regular 8-5, its just a job, don't stress so much about it.

Cons

I had been unemployed for a few months when I was offered a position at Milestone. I had very bad feeling about it, but accepted as I had nothing else lined up. The interview:

- They left me waiting in the lobby for an unusually long amount of time.
    - A certain executive asked very unprofessional questions, and made insulting assumptions about me and my living situation.
    - The president of the company told me that employees like to badmouth the company, and asked how I would deal with it.
    - I did speak with a few very pleasant and positive employees as well.
    - they did a background check, asked for pay stubs from previous employer and wanted college transcripts.

The experience:
    - The company had a very structured training program that lasted about 4 weeks. Different account managers lead these trainings, and everyone seemed super knowledgeable and friendly during these training.
    - I truly felt like I was surrounded by very professional, smart individuals (my fellow peers, not upper management). To this day, this was the best group of folks I have worked with.
    - The work was so so, but the expectations were outrageous. People were leaving this job all the time, so you would regularly have 10+ additional accounts dumped on you. You would like to yourself, 'ok, I have about 70 now, there is no way they can give me more...' then WHAM, you got more.

Advice to Management

Pay better, value your employees more, they work really hard. Don't stress if someone needs to take an appointment during work hours, making them enter PTO for this is just rediculous and shows you have no trust in employees.

Jun 23, 2015 – Director of Client Services

It sounds as though your overall experience was positive and you enjoyed working with your team; thank you for your review and point of view. We appreciate anyone that takes out time to provide us... More

"Horrible Culture. Dishonest Business Practices. No Desire to Change."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

If you have zero experience in an office setting / professional environment, you can get your foot in the door here.

They offer a solid healthcare plan that is paid 100% for the employee (0% for family), but honestly the insanely low starting pay and infrequent opportunities for wage increases or advancement kind of negate this one.

With insanely high employee turnover* at the Santa Clara office, you have 100% job security / a lot of leeway with policies as long as you are competent

*Don't let the management responses about a low turnover rate trick you; I challenge them to share stats on the % of employees in Santa Clara who have been employed there for 3+ years, and the % of turnover over that same time period.

Cons

Why bother restating what's already been said?

Basically, the company operates on the whim of the President, and her husband the CEO. They are fairly transparent about the fact that short-term revenue growth is their top priority, which is why you will see the phrase "fastest growing company" as a defense in the management responses (they're very proud about that). Sadly, this ignores the fact that short-term revenue growth doesn't translate into long-term success, and certainly doesn't translate into a quality work environment.

They truly optimize the old saying that "talk is cheap," as promises about coming improvements to the company's products, services, and internal policies will be often repeated, but rarely delivered on.

The place is a career sinkhole, and long-term success here depends on your ability to ignore a menagerie of bad business practices that are designed to drive short-term, unsustainable growth.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're obviously running the business exactly as you see fit; however, please stop posting fake reviews here... it's fairly obvious when it's you, and you should at least give people the chance to come to work for you with realistic expectations.

"Underpaid, overworked, and treated like you are disposable."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There are no pros working for Milestone.

Cons

Where to begin? Milestone runs off the poor business practices and ethics of the Aggarwals. If you ever have the displeasure of working here be prepared to have your morals challenged as you will see clients getting over charged (and when reported to the CEO, Anil, he will not give them a refund) and clients not getting the services they paid for as Milestones internal tools are riddled with bugs.

Instead of using known and effective products Milestone will make an internal product for their service teams to use. While in normal companies creating in house tools is regarded highly as SAAS tools can produce high ROI, however Milestones version is created on a budget and launched prematurely as a full product when in fact it is still in beta. Hence why the tools are prone to having many bugs. Even though the tools don't work (and the bugs have been reported multiple times with no fixes in sight) be prepared to be blamed and put down by upper management when clients are unhappy.

Also, don't be fooled when the upper management claims they are restructuring or that they had to make a change in processes because of growth and that's what is causing all the current issues. The issues are long term and stem way deeper in Milestone.

One of the main issues is that they cannot retain employees long term so Milestone is constantly trying to rework their systems with the remaining employees in which the remaining employees will be given the workload of those who left but unfortunately none of the pay that goes along with it.

On top of all the issues with the tools and business practices, the employees are treated poorly by upper management. Everyone is made to feel disposable and ones hard work will never be acknowledged or compensated. The only time raises and title changes are given is when people threaten to leave.

Due to the fact that people are not treated well it creates an extremely negative work culture as no one ever seems happy to be at work making the days long and miserable.

Milestone tries to play if off like the employees are unappreciative of all the benefits they give to employees but NEWS FLASH check any other company in the bay area. The benefits offered by Milestone are sub par at best. Everyone offers full medical and dental, your quarterly activities are a joke, and phantom stock is pointless.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would want to be treated and in return your employees will care about your company and would stay long term and help work through the bugs and issues instead of leaving as soon as a new opportunity presents itself.

Also, if you spend a little extra money to make your tools work and service your clients better and you'll have less client turnover as well.

In addition, pay heed to what is written on Glassdoor! Stop being on the defense about your company and listen to the criticism and make it constructive so you can turn your company around before you run it further into the ground.

Mar 16, 2015 – CEO

We regret that your experience was not great and wish we had an opportunity to make it better while you were at Milestone. Milestone is a high-performance, fast-paced environment and while we strive... More

"Don't invest in a company that doesn't invest in you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Milestone Internet Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual attire, free alcohol on occasion (to help cope with the misery), and fellow employees who feel your pain.

Cons

Surprised you found a position that required no job experience? You should be. Milestone hires fresh out of college employees for one reason only- cheap labor. Keep looking elsewhere. At Milestone you will be ignored, you will be shut out, you will be talked down to, and degraded both publicly and privately. You will be seen only as a workhorse rather than a valued contributor or even an employee. Oh, and there's no legitimate HR so good luck voicing your concerns.

Because turn-over here is so high, you will have to take on at least one other person's entire responsibilities with no promotion (whether as a title change or compensation). I'm sure the staged review that responds to this shortly will mention Milestone has a record low turnover rate- this is a lie. There are very few people who stick with the company for more than a year. That growth opportunity they preach about? There's a reason they can't hire senior level employees- they quickly realize how disorganized and misguided the company actually is and leave. Sure, about half of the management (maybe 5 of the 10) have been with the company for more than a few years, but that's because they're the only employees that are actually paid a decent wage in the 4th most expensive place to live in the United States. Their luxury vehicles will show you just how much...

If and when you finally crack and let your superior know there is too much on your plate (i.e. 80 hour work weeks), you'll be told that you have a problem with time management and that if you can't get your job done within 8am-5pm, it's your problem (note: these positions are salary with no comp. time).

Don't waste your time on mediocre job experience. While Milestone may preach about "full circle knowledge" and everyone getting an opportunity to learn the tricks of the trade, you will be subjected to whatever niche you fell into because the last person walked out. Unfulfilled promises are Milestone's strong suit.

I'm sure one of the executives or select "favorites" will respond to this review, just like most other negative reviews. Please remember: these "disgruntled employees" on Glassdoor aren't lazy employees with poor work ethic, they're workers just like me who gave it their all and yet still weren’t good enough. The expectations at Milestone are so unachievable that employees begin to believe there is something wrong with themselves when in reality they are sabotaged by the unfit management and unrealistic work environment infecting the company.

This review not only reflects my personal experience, but countless other former and current employees who struggled alongside me and understand the frustrations and realities of working for this company. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and realize where the company is headed if you don't change your ways.