Milestone Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Milestone CEO Anil Aggarwal
Anil Aggarwal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free breakfast on Fridays, not much else good to say, co-workers are nice and can relate to the hell you are going through (in 9 reviews)

• You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1 (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • A friend of mine started and had an email from a previous account managers client asking her to update something on his site (in 26 reviews)

• management is only concern for ETA and getting work done rather than concerned about employee work life balance and mental health (in 7 reviews)

"This company is a train wreck."

I worked at Milestone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. Free snacks.

Cons

- Do you want to work for a company that lays off employees 10 days before Christmas with NO severance? Sure, I was 6 weeks from a full year of employment, but just because you CAN let people go without severance and just because you CAN blindside them by laying them off 10 days before Christmas, doesn't mean you should. This company has no honor.

- Do you want to work for a failing company with poor management? Horrific management - constantly changing direction, micromanaging to the extreme, creating conflict and chaos at every opportunity, and demeaning everything that you do.

-The owners are two of the most condescending, disrespectful, unprofessional people I have EVER worked for in my life.

-The reason they laid me off? Because they haven't generated enough income in the last year. Every day I went to work I was surprised they were still in business.

- Employee turnover is constant. They can't hire fast enough because they are constantly losing people. People who are willing to be demeaned and abused are the only one's who stay.

-If I hired Milestone to do anything for me, it would take me about 5 minutes to figure out they have no clue what they are doing. They rely on their customers to be ignorant of the basics of digital marketing and they constantly try to upsell.

- Almost all of the work is done offshore in India.

-The benefits suck. Fake stock options. 2 weeks of vacation that you can't use for the first three months. They seem to think they offer fantastic benefits, free donuts and bagels, "happy" hours every other friday, and free snacks are hardly worth mentioning. It doesn't make up for crappy computers, slow internet, an uninviting workspace with no walkable restaurants and uninspiring leadership.

*Please do yourself a favor. Read all the reviews on here. Go with your gut.
    Yes, I am mad at how they treated me. But if they had treated me fairly, I would have some goodwill in my heart and would not be upset. I read these reviews when they hired me and I disregarded them. I sincerely regret that now.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't even take advice from the experienced employees they hire to do a particular job. They know everything.

My advice to you - don't disregard the poor reviews on Glassdoor. I did and I will live to regret it.

PS: After having spent almost a year at Milestone, there is NO ONE there that would write a positive review on Glassdoor unless they are being coerced.

2. "Moving in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Milestone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the people, the people! I cannot say that enough. Across all offices- Santa Clara, Chicago, DC, and India.

There isn’t a throw people under the bus type culture- which in my experience I found to be typical in an agency environment. It’s very much a we are all in this together type work place. Everyone is willing to help each other. I wake up looking forward to seeing and or speaking to every single person.

I have learned so much in a short period of time. Again this comes back to the people- everyone cross training each other to be truly omnichannel so we can all walk the walk rather than just talk the talk.

We work with a lot of accounts and clients, which some may find to be a con. But what people fail to realize is Milestone’s business model actually helps the issue of turnover. In most agencies, if a client cancels, people lose their jobs.

At Milestone, while we strive for 100% client engagement and satisfaction, in the unfortunate event a client does cancel, we have enough business backing us from both a technology and agency side, that no one’s job is in jeopardy.

We have free catered breakfast every Friday, Happy Hours, quarterly team outings, a fully stocked kitchen.

I find that the past turnover and morale issues have been addressed, everyone seems happy especially now that they are learning to be more strategic.

There is a lot of opportunity to grow and advance your career here if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

Very fast paced. It’s a bit of a sink or swim environment. This isn’t for the faint of heart. You have to be able to catch on to things quickly and take ownership of your accounts. Use the resources available to you (which are many) to troubleshoot issues and problem solve- not just rely on management. Organization and prioritization are essential.

Sometimes the work load can be too much for those who do not prioritize correctly- Important over urgent!

Too many meetings.
    Not enough PTO.

Advice to Management

Simplify the MBO program. Quarterly reviews seem excessive- maybe switch to 6mo/12 mo.
    Take notice of the employees who have stuck with you through the difficult years and get the job done day in and day out.

If our teams are to become more strategic, we have to stop assigning so many task oriented assignments.

Give more PTO. We work in a high stress industry and for the most part all go above and beyond to service our clients. Employees need more down time simply to decompress.

Rethink the format of the AM and Impact meetings. CSMs are not retaining all the information and therefore are unable to apply the learnings.

Make meetings shorter and more concise- only covering a few topics each meeting. Otherwise it’s information overload and the goal of the meeting is lost. The meetings need to be more interactive where the CSMs have time to chime in and ask questions so the information resonates and they can figure out how to apply i‎t all to their accounts.

"Worst Organization to Work"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Ahmedabad (India)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Ahmedabad (India)

I worked at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good company for new oppurtunities.

Cons

- No honesty work.
    - Worst QA team.
    - No safety for Girls.
    - Harrasment.
    - No Team work.
    - Politics

Advice to Management

- Improve Environment of Organization atleast.

"Best place to learn everyday."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ahmedabad (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ahmedabad (India)

I worked at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New technology
    Work culture
    Friendly environment
    Helpful colleagues
    Excellent management
    Quarter parties and fun friday are the newest thing i saw only in this company
    Celebrating festivals

Cons

Nothing to conclude, as per individual concern everything seems fine except cleaning and air conditioning problem..!! For employee perspective, seems nice to have it.

"You're only as strong as your weakest link - here it's the Founder and Senior Leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Milestone full-time

Pros

Friendly junior staff and middle managers and free breakfast on Friday.
    Nothing else which is why I left!!!

Cons

This company will never progress because the Founder and senior execs act like team leads. Constant micromanagement and the inability to let others take control creates an environment of negativity and confusion. Employee churn is out of control and never discussed but clients have started to notice and are canceling at a higher rate. This has trigger even more micromanagement and impulsive choices which forces more to quit at higher levels.

We're on the race to the bottom.

We're always told our products are better and clients love us yet they continue to leave as fast as we can sign new business. Senior leaders strongly believe and openly admit that the services industry (in relation to SEO/PPC side of business) can never be profitable and don't try. The money is all dumped into, at best, slightly above average website products. This is not true whatsoever. There are hundreds of companies that make millions simply doing SEO and PPC.

The sheer incompetence is off the charts. People are yelled at, threatened to be fired, and more by the Founder and other execs.

Advice to Management

1- Stop creating fake reviews... it's obvious to everyone
    2- Stop micromanaging
    3- Hire more experienced people
    4- Give proper raises
    5- Don't think of your service sector as just a means to fund your tech products
    6- SELL THE COMPANY TO SOMEONE THAT CAN RUN IT
    7- DONT LIE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, everyone talks to each other and knows the truth... you're only hurting yourself.

"It's not IT company. It's a Marketing company, treat employee like a salesman. world most Worst Company, not recommend."

Pros

Pros?? I believe its's difficult to find.
    no pros at all with milestone
    None! I seriously can't think of one positive thing to say about this company.

Cons

Management terminates employees at any time without any prior notice,just giving the reason of cost cutting once their product is stable.
    very worst management ,too much workload. management is vision less, milestone management means group of selfish people.

The worst place I've ever worked.I heartily advice to you please avoid milestone if you value
    your career and future.Three employees terminated without any notice on the same day.
    Management treat employees like labour worker and disposable items.
    No hygiene and cleanness in office.
    No motivation to end employee who actually work.
    Gossip and inability to express problems.
    0% job security.
    STAY UNEMPLOYED BUT DO NOT JOIN THIS STUPIDITY OF FAVORITISM.
    Salary: is very low considering the workload you will have to carry and the pain you will endure.
    Company bonus? Hah! That's funny.

Do not trust on HR of India office, she is a Mendacious personality and her daily job is always criticize employees.
    what ever questions or concerns you raise or ask to HR,even in benefit of company or employees ,she always ignore and behaves very rudely and start targeting and insulting employee.
    there is lots of Groupism and Favoritism in the company. favourite people can do anything or any non-business activity during office time.
    favorite people playing cards in office during office hours with HR.

Advice to Management

Don't play with employees career. don't treat them like labour worker.

"Horrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Ahmedabad (India)
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Ahmedabad (India)

I worked at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros!! I never find one except Good and helping co-worker (Only few of them), Food on Friday & Quarter Party.

Cons

• Let’s Start from lower lever as a developer you have no power at all, including your work timing (must stay back till late to complete task which deadline fixed by your senior – and no overtime), for every small thing you need to have written confirmation from your lead/ project owner / AM.
    • Even after confirmation if someone came in and suggest for changes so that suggestion will consider as change and must done before submitting, so there is no stand. Your senior will try to frame you everywhere and behave like they are the only one who are working.
    • Nothing is permanent in this company, there are so many hidden so called GUIDE LINES which you need to follow and they change every day, and if you find breaching that any of one (no matter if that just introduce you just an hour back), OMG you made biggest mistake and you will be treated like you have caused millions of dollars, and then there will be a round of meeting for next couple of days.
    • Management level people, forget them if you talk to them you will never believe they are like manager / AM. The ROUDE Language they use sound like some lower lever person from country bar. And most important they are doing nothing in their cabin.
    • So many Account Manager are Dumb and seems like they have Zero Technical knowledge, so many time they don’t know what client wants and pass cases as is to development team and expect every change to be done in one day. Even when changes are too lengthy and you ask for more time you will get a mail from his manager asking to complete them within a day, no matter you need to work overnight.
    • Management don’t know how to use 100% ability of employee and they will hire you and place you at such a place where you cannot use your knowledge. Or even they not willing to use them. Lots of people leave this company with reason of finding no scope / forgetting their knowledge.

Advice to Management

Suggestion, I don’t think. I don’t want to waste my suggestion with deaf management, they will do only what they want.

"Growing Company, Painful Experience"

I worked at Milestone full-time

Pros

- The team (most of them) are a great set of hardworking, loyal and smart people to work with
    - You learn a lot and very quickly, especially if you don't have SEO experience because you will have clients assigned to you on Day 1
    - Milestone tries to keep up pace with industry updates
    - Friday breakfast

Cons

Career Opportunities:
    None in client services. Only favorites of the president/founder grow because they have insane amounts of tolerance for her unprofessional behavior. Milestone is very bad at letting their employees know they're valued and that's why so many leave each month.

Compensation & Benefits:
    They try very hard to be considered a "Silicon Valley" company but without offering any of the perks - it's just a marketing agency trying to pose as a technology company. Medical, dental, and vision are actually okay. The amount of PTO is sad and you will have none for the first 3 months of probation. If you have to call off of work for any reason (you're sick, your child/dog is sick, you have a doctor's appointment, your house is on fire, etc.), it will be taken out of your already limited PTO. If you come in 1 hour late because of a doctor's appointment, you must submit 1 hour of sick time for your manager's approval. WHAT?!

Work/Life Balance:
    What is that? Working from home is not allowed. Account Managers are expected to have no life or life events (weddings, death in the family, child's school engagements) because of the aggressive deadlines. So if you really want to have a life outside of work - stay away.

Senior Management:
    Company founded and run by a couple - always a big red flag! CEO (the husband) is actually sensible, while the President/Founder (the wife) of the company is a total lunatic. She is so good at driving away the best employees. She is a micro-managing, scatter-brained person with absolutely zero social skills - she should be kept in a museum. She needs to learn basic manners and communication skills - no one in her position should feel the need to raise their voice to talk to employees. Period.

Culture and Values:
    Toxic and demotivating work environment. EVERYTHING is monitored - chats with co-workers or personal on Skype are being read - it is no coincidence when something that you privately chatted with someone about, suddenly comes up in a conversation with the president or in your next review.

Everyone is looking for new opportunities on the side. It's easy to say nobody actually likes working at Milestone and are only there out of no choice or because of a visa situation.

Advice to Management

- Pretending like you are a successful company and calling everything you do "awesome", doesn't make you so
    - Listen to your employees, outside of spying on every little thing that they do. Value their opinions and ideas - some account managers understand their clients much better that the leadership may - leverage those relationships that are painstakingly built by hardworking employees
    - Stop posting fake positive reviews on Glassdoor- they stand out.

"Contrary to the rating, this is a great place to work for!"

I have been working at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is good work! Every day is different. They encourage growth, with quarterly goals. There is a lot of freedom here for creativity and autonomy. People who work hard are rewarded and recognized. It is also possible to have a good manager here. The good news in that a lot of the negativity in previous reviews has been cleared out and the company is really open to the new brand and new change, with more emphasis on their employees.
    Breakfast on Friday's is great!

Cons

A lot of the downsides are being reevaluated for example, working from home. It's still an agency so it has a lot of the same issues that most agencies have - lots of fires to put out, never enough resources, typical amount of turnover. If that's not something you can deal with you should probably go in-house.

Advice to Management

I can communicate that to them :) and they may not always listen but I don't need to use Glassdoor.

"Seems promising, but falls flat on reality"

I worked at Milestone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few pros I can think of; positive outlook of only the top executives..that's all I can think of.

Cons

Like most of the negative reviews the expectation of the bill of good your sold falls flat..every time. Ego of the Founder and CEO are out of control, they have wild expectations that will never turn into reality. There is a lot of micromanaging due to the inability of the software to actually function. Account managers have a huge workload, and aren't enabled to do anything or actually do much technical work, that's all outsourced to India.

They don't allow much travel, even though being face to face with a client is very important. They expect to see high results without spending the money. There's also a bit of an identity crisis between being a software company and digital marketing agency, they want to do both which is why they are failing at both.

I would also caution people to believe the 5 star, glowing reviews. In my experience no one was that happy working there.

Advice to Management

Decide what kind of company you want to be, you can't have it all unless you want to be mediocre. Trust your employees and empower them, that's the only way you'll get to the next level.