Milgard Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Vishal Singh
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are a number of great people that work for Milgard (in 11 reviews)

• great company with state of the art products (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • At times, work life balance can get out of kilter (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management did not always see it that way (in 7 reviews)

1. "Quality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Sometimes production over quality was more important

Advice to Management

Make work conditions tolerable during hot summer conditions!

2. "over worked"

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time

Pros

good pay and you can get away with messing around

Cons

mandatory overtime working close to 80 hours a week sometimes all on your feet in boots pushing, carrying, loading picking heavy windows and doors

Advice to Management

mandate 50 hour max work weeks and pay more

3. "Good people, management needs work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with some of the most individually kind and caring people around.
    Everyday is a new challenge
    I have found a mentor who I respect and engage with often
    Working in a company that actually produces a physical product is rewarding and gives no small amount of pride

Cons

Group culture here is either corporate rah-rah or on a witch hunt
    Everyday is a new challenge because tomorrow is never planned for
    Because of the other two issues the quality of our product is currently in question

Advice to Management

Focus on quality, not the sale. Though sales is important our service afterwards is killing us.

Oct 9, 2017 – Manager, Recruiting and Talent Management

Thank you for your positive comments. We're pleased you found a mentor that can assist you in your career - we believe in the power of mentorship. We're always focused on our service and appreciate... More

4. "Uncertain future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for 10+ years and have seen the company weather ups and downs. There are a lot of long term employees with 5+ years that work great together to get the job done. Decent benefits and a new higher wage is great for new hires.

Cons

Due to decisions made by management; some still employed, others have been let go or quit, our parent company has started mandating certain changes be made; some for the better, some worse, some uncertain at present. The most recent change to a tiered pay system that categorizes employees by their position is completely screwed up. Positions that require a certain skill set is put into the same tier as someone who cleans windows; and someone who literally loads a file into a program and is told what to do from there by the computer is grouped with people of a higher skill set and/or have extensive knowledge in what they do from years of employment with the company. While each tier has a cap, completely expected, this also leaves those who are not at the cap under of any raises they MIGHT get on a yearly basis IF allowed by the parent company. The kicker, and the reason for a lot of disappointed, frustration, and anger is that those who are maxed out on the tier they were placed in will never see a raise. This will most likely lead to a lot of turnover in the coming months by those who have the knowledge needed to train the new employees.

Advice to Management

If you are going to implement a new pay structure, you need to perform each function yourself, or at least listen to those who know what those positions entail. Be upfront with your employees about what is going on so they can act on first hand information instead of rumors or reacting to sudden changes that you choose to spring on them that affect their paycheck. Yes, business is business and I comply understand, but have enough respect and value in your employees to be upfront and honest. And it really isn't a good idea to make a huge purchase for the corporate office while giving your workers the news that their not getting a raise, may or may not get one next year, or won't ever give one because a arbitrary tier system that is obviously not based on skill.

Jun 2, 2017 – Manager, Recruiting and Talent Management

Thank you for your years of service at Milgard. While we appreciate change can be difficult and that not everyone will benefit to the same degree with the recently implemented wage structure... More

"HR Business Partner"

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really great people who work for Milgard that have been with the company through its ups and down. These people live and breathe Milgard, its Philosophy of Respect, Customer Service and Excellence, and the high quality the Milgard name stands for. These are the people that keep me coming back to work each day.

Cons

Pay is not competitive unless you are an elite member of the management staff hierarchy. The rest of the employees are simply afterthoughts. There is no work-life balance--employees are expected to pour their blood, sweat and tears into the business but the business gives you nothing back. Raises are not related to your work effort and often times people are passed up for promotions based on popularity, not skills and qualifications. Managers are not held accountable and the sword always falls on the "little guys."

Advice to Management

Realize that managers are only a small part of the business (and workforce) and without all of the rest of us who work "under" you, you wouldn't be here. Recognize people on a daily basis, pay people based on the value they bring to the table, and hold managers accountable.

Mar 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

As a member of the HR team, you know the value of employees exercising the Open Door Policy to express concerns, frustrations, and suggestions. As demonstrated above, there are definitely some things... More

"Without Bias"

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary's and benefits for employees

Cons

Management not always forth write with employees

Feb 3, 2017 – HR Generalist

We are very pleased to see that you felt Milgard's salary structure and benefits are competitive! We strive to be competitive in our recruiting efforts so we can continue to bring aboard highly... More

7. "Milgard Corporate"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fife, WA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the hard-working, knowledgeable people on the project teams who worked very professionally to exceed the project goals.

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue as to what is necessary to successfully run a project. Company has turned away from Market-Driven products, Directors lie to management to save face, plants are running rouge when it comes to folowing quality practices, MPS performance system it totally misaligned, complicated and meaningless in creating needed change - it's soul purpose is to find a way to restrict hard-working people from getting bonuses. Milgard'sManagement short-sightedness is lending to it's dimise - they just laid off another 100 employess right before Christmas.

Advice to Management

Clean house of upper management who refuse to support market-driven new products. Start paying factory workers a living wage so you can actually produce a quality product, get rid of MPS!

8. "Lack of leadership and planning."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the corporate office the people are nice. They have decent benefits and there was up until recently a bonus program. The hours are flexible.

Cons

So many cons for this company. There are two major problems from my point of view. Lack of leadership and lack of planning. Everything here seems to be based off of knee jerk reactions and some of the management is disconnected from their departments. A lot of people are either on their phones, on the internet or sometimes falling asleep at their desks. Morale and motivation is at a low and the mps review system promotes mediocrity. The ERP budget has eaten a lot of the profits up and the company is now struggling. The President is stepping down and a former VP left a couple months prior. The parent company seems to be stepping in and will start to make changes to right this ship.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with the employees. Know their strengths and weaknesses. Motivate them to not be mediocre but to want to achieve success. Stop reacting to situations but plan, communicate to key people and then plan some more. Firing off a couple emails and having vague meetings with out a plan only leads to a lack of confidence in your abilities.

Dec 16, 2016 – HR Generalist

We thank you for your feedback and observations, which are valued and appreciated. In the spirit of Milgard’s cultural belief of Clear Intent, we would ask that you talk to us directly – either... More

"Missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Production Lead in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Production Lead in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning about lean manufacturing and 5s. Great employees to work with. Good experience for fast pace production.

Cons

Management views employees as numbers not people. They focus on employees who brown nose instead of taking care of the high qualified employees who preform. I built team and broke records but continued to get passed up for promotion. I was promised opportunity and positions and then they pulled them back. Total lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Focus and take care of your true leaders and dont take them for granted. Training leaders takes time and money which is good for long term but ignoring your current leaders and preformers creates gaps that your teams have to suffer for because of you choices. We you work teams 13 hour days 6 days a week during summer the least you can do is ensure solid leadership to drive lean so you can get your teams to open capacity and not have to live to work. Remember life balance will reduce the 70% turnover. Find the middle ground of profits and employee's family and self health.

Nov 21, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you so much for providing your feedback. We love to hear that you enjoyed the lean manufacturing culture and the employees you work with.

As you mention though, overtime is an issue and... More

"Overworked and employees don't appreciate you"

Pros

The job was pretty simple and easy. They let you learn multiple jobs in the department

Cons

Management was terrible. No one gave you credit for your good job and most of the time help was not needed when asked for

Advice to Management

Get more involved with employees