Milgard Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Milgard Manufacturing Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There are a number of great people that work for Milgard (in 10 reviews)

• Insurance and other benefits are good in comparison with the building materials industry (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management did not always see it that way (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance--employees are expected to pour their blood, sweat and tears into the business but the business gives you nothing back (in 3 reviews)

1. "Lack of leadership and planning."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the corporate office the people are nice. They have decent benefits and there was up until recently a bonus program. The hours are flexible.

Cons

So many cons for this company. There are two major problems from my point of view. Lack of leadership and lack of planning. Everything here seems to be based off of knee jerk reactions and some of the management is disconnected from their departments. A lot of people are either on their phones, on the internet or sometimes falling asleep at their desks. Morale and motivation is at a low and the mps review system promotes mediocrity. The ERP budget has eaten a lot of the profits up and the company is now struggling. The President is stepping down and a former VP left a couple months prior. The parent company seems to be stepping in and will start to make changes to right this ship.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with the employees. Know their strengths and weaknesses. Motivate them to not be mediocre but to want to achieve success. Stop reacting to situations but plan, communicate to key people and then plan some more. Firing off a couple emails and having vague meetings with out a plan only leads to a lack of confidence in your abilities.

Dec 16, 2016 – HR Generalist

We thank you for your feedback and observations, which are valued and appreciated. In the spirit of Milgard’s cultural belief of Clear Intent, we would ask that you talk to us directly – either ... More

"Missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Production Lead in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Production Lead in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning about lean manufacturing and 5s. Great employees to work with. Good experience for fast pace production.

Cons

Management views employees as numbers not people. They focus on employees who brown nose instead of taking care of the high qualified employees who preform. I built team and broke records but continued to get passed up for promotion. I was promised opportunity and positions and then they pulled them back. Total lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Focus and take care of your true leaders and dont take them for granted. Training leaders takes time and money which is good for long term but ignoring your current leaders and preformers creates gaps that your teams have to suffer for because of you choices. We you work teams 13 hour days 6 days a week during summer the least you can do is ensure solid leadership to drive lean so you can get your teams to open capacity and not have to live to work. Remember life balance will reduce the 70% turnover. Find the middle ground of profits and employee's family and self health.

Nov 21, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you so much for providing your feedback. We love to hear that you enjoyed the lean manufacturing culture and the employees you work with. As you mention though, overtime is an issue and ... More

"Beware"

Former Employee - Manager in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Temecula, CA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Toxic environment. Staff turnover is incredibly high. Any criticism of upper management becomes grounds for termination.

Advice to Management

Fear is not a very good motivator.

Nov 21, 2016 – HR Generalist

We completely agree with you - "fear is not a very good motivator." As the Milgard philosophy states, as a company we strive everyday to respect each and every individual within our business. Thank ... More

5. "Great People could be better organized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fife, WA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time

Pros

I loved working with the people I worked with. Helpful, positive, work hard.

Cons

Struggling to overcome the firefighting technique in many departments to solve problems

Advice to Management

Prevent problems by planning maintenance, don't wait to put out the "fires" once they've already started. Preventative Maintenance not really happening.

"management"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Fife, WA

Pros

nice co-workers. Fast pace job make the day goes by faster. Benefit is ok but medical is expensive

Cons

Poor management and leaderships. Leaderships are uneducated and poor in improvement abilities. Only get a raise if you pass a level in skills but there's absolutely no training. There's no annual or cost of living raise. You could work there for a couple years and not getting a raise.

7. "HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with, the wage is fair, the benefits are good. This company really cares about the employees and the community. They understand what investing in your people means.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard to keep up with customer demands. Turn over is high. They have many facilities across the U.S. so this one disadvantage I see to working at the facilities in Washington State is that marajuana is legal there so it's difficult to find candidates who can live up to the company's drug free workplace policy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You guys are awesome.

"Warehouse Off-Loader/Loader/Order Puller at Milgard"

Current Employee - Order Puller/Loader/Receiving Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Order Puller/Loader/Receiving Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, Gym, Job Rotations, Benefits, 401k, Multiple Discounts other than Milgard Product Discounts, co-workers were very respectful

Cons

VERY physically strenuous, be prepared to work very long hours, temp agency for first 2-3 weeks, employees tend to complain once in awhile over stupid things. Job is 5 days a week, 10 hours a day. Benefits won't kick in until after 60-90 days. This isn't a job for everyone.

Advice to Management

Take your employees seriously, treat them like adults, out them first ahead of numbers

"Information Systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Milgard Manufacturing (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good team building environment. Advancement and continued education are encouraged. Policies are clearly defined. Quarterly reviews with continuous improvement as a key.

Cons

Since the sale to Masco it has lost focus and is being managed poorly. Unrealistic project timelines.. Lack of respect for individuals and family time.

Advice to Management

Go back to what works. Develop your employees, build them, nurture them, respect them. "The greatest asset of a company are it's employees."

"Great Job/Horrible Manager (Customer Service Coordinator)"

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Temecula, CA

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, close to home, friendly environment. Good benefits and always learned something new each day.

Cons

Horrible management. Started out great then a new manager was hired and my supervisor was terminated and lead demoted. Forced to work 10 hour days, not allowed to take bathroom breaks unless on break. Micromanaged to death. Forced to use scripts which are not necessary in this type of business. Also, dealer request were horribly mis-managed causing the staff to work 10 hour days. As a result, the dealer requests took presidence over our orders and always behind on work. Our manager always threatened us with a writeup if dealer requests were not completed. Me and several other employees went to HR andno action was taken.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and dignity.

"Set up for failure!"

Former Employee - Buyer in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Buyer in Aurora, CO

I worked at Milgard Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good entry level experience if you don't mind rude, unhelpful management. Expect to be shoved in with no training, they took out the training classes they once had, and expected to survive with no support from leadership.

Cons

Everything else. Toxic work environment. Milgard Aurora, not speaking of other locations, has sub par leadership, including senior staff. Milgard will dump a tremendous amount of responsibility on you and watch (not help) you deteriorate. I will not and do not recommend this position if you are a hard worker, quick learner, or in any way sane.

Advice to Management

Get off your behinds and look at how the majority of the employees are overworked, stressed, and all around NOT HAPPY with their job, because that's what Milgard is, a job, not a career.