Millennial Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.9
Michael Barrett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast growing company with some upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• The people who choose to work at Millennial have to be comfortable with a fast paced, constantly changing environment with competing demands (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It went public, which put it under pressure to deliver results to the Wall Street cadence, rather than adtech growth patterns (in 3 reviews)

• Pay was not where it should have been and ops is all in baltimore which for a west coast seller is a huge challenge (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Millennial Media puts a lot of emphasis on culture and making sure that employees are happy. My coworkers are a joy to work with.

Cons

If more time and money was invested into technology, I think that it would make a world of difference both for the business and for internal processes. There are many very manual processes.

Advice to Management

Keep attracting good talent and focusing on keeping employees happy. Also put more emphasis on technology and I think it will be a very successful model.

2. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

-very talented and nice people
    -great technology and work
    -lot of flexible hours/work from home days
    -free snaks (cereals, fruits, milk, drinks etc)

Cons

-can be less transparent at times

3. "Mobile UI Developer Position"

Current Employee - Mobile UI Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Mobile UI Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media (More than a year)

Pros

Millennial Media promotes a very altruistic and teaching-and-learning-based work environment and culture. Employees are encouraged to help one another succeed on every level.

Cons

Company is located in Baltimore, MD.

"So Much Potential"

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

Company Outings, free snacks (Boston), free breakfast & snacks (Baltimore), solid hardware, great office locations, and mostly friendly employees. They do a lot to promote a corporate culture and they do that well. Millennial Media seems to be relatively solid, financially and is a definite player in the industry.

Cons

Management lacks leadership. Organizational Chart too complex: Too many levels of differentiation and management. High turnover leads to understaffing, which leads to more work to complete.

Advice to Management

Simplify the organization. Remove unnecessary levels of management. Institute strong, competent leaders in management positions. Recruit new talent more aggressively. Work harder at keeping the talent you have. Encourage more communication and social interaction across team boundaries. Ditch the totally open office plan. Sometimes people need an office to work in. Need a feature freeze, code review, breakfix breakout, and overall stability of technical assets.

5. "Great Company, Passionate People"

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

Everyone is passionate about the products they are working on, the clients they are selling to and the technology platform that runs our business. Very little politics, fun culture with a good mix of work hard/play hard. Leaders are visible and willing to go the extra mile. Good benefits. Love the unlimited paid time off.

Cons

So many offices and no real central location (even though Boston and Baltimore are bigger offices).

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. Appreciate the regular all-hand meeting updates with the opportunity to ask candid questions.

"Amazing first experience in the workforce"

Pros

I had worked odd jobs throughout high school and college, and had never had a real corporate experience. After graduation I got an internship working in one and I hated it. I counted the hours and couldn't wait for the work day to end.

Since joing Millennial Media, I actually enjoy going to work every day. the people I work with are great. Everyone has been helpful in showing me the ropes, my managers are patient and are very eager to help me learn and grow.

I've worked jobs before with little recognition, and Millennial feels like the opposite. Every task no matter how small it feels like I'm being told how great of a job I'm doing. Being able to be in an environment with such mutual respect and easy to get along people makes waking up every morning a real treat.

Cons

Reall the only downsides I have had with Millennial are the same struggles that come at any technology company. You are very reliant on it. And the slightest bug or issues can be very frustratting when you are in a good work flow, or if something you are working on is time sensitive.

Advice to Management

None, I really love the direction of the company

7. "Results driven and start up mindframe..corporate environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Smart and empowered team
    Clear set goals and initiatives

Cons

Unattainable goals in order to obtain profitability
    No direct connection to product team

8. "Very Good Environment."

Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very technology focused and they work to keep employees happy. Unlimited leave policy. Bonuses and stock options. Competitive salaries. Worked on leading edge technologies.

Cons

Worked there 2 years and had 4 managers. They seem to change the Tech leadership pretty often, and hence, the planning sometimes went out the window. Several abandoned projects while I was there.

Advice to Management

When you lose people at a pretty rapid rate you should probably start looking at why they are leaving and try to address it.

"GOING TO HELL"

Pros

i honestly have nothing positive to say. Used to be nice place before jumptap was bought by millennialmedia. Everyone from jumptap was either fired or left since this company is going south. Stocks have plumit

Cons

i honestly have nothing postive to say. Used to be nice place before jumptap was bought by millennialmedia. Everyone from jumptap was either fired or left since this company is going south. Stocks have plummet. Dont bother joining. Chief architect and Scientist has recently quit. The CTO is scared as he knows nothing good is coming in the near future.

Advice to Management

stop hiring outside senior management and giving them millions of dollars. You need to spend money at your current employees then outsiders.

"Majorly in flux, not for the timid"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historically, the company treated it's employees very well while pressing hard for optimal performance. There are some sharp minds at Millennial. There are people there who are good at team building and providing incentives. People can have fun.

Cons

Very few people who are rank and file actually believe that the company is moving in the right direction. There seems to be a lot of flailing around. As far as values, I once heard an Account executive wonder out loud hot it was that she became such a liar, telling her clients that she was delivering on contracted media as the agency wanted. When presented with making revenue, no one in operations or sales seems to care about being honest with the client.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are under extreme pressure and work harder to help them invested in the long term growth of the company. Articulate that growth better than you are now. There are some arrogant people on your team and they need to be weeded out as they are destructive.