Millennial Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Millennial Media Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast growing company with some upward mobility (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, with a real passion for the industry, the company, the products and each other (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It went public, which put it under pressure to deliver results to the Wall Street cadence, rather than adtech growth patterns (in 3 reviews)

• Pay was not where it should have been and ops is all in baltimore which for a west coast seller is a huge challenge (in 6 reviews)

"Great Company"

Pros

* Great learning experience
    * Smart people who want to help you succeed
    * Incredible space and view of water. Restaurants in walking distance
    * Leadership takes care of their people

Cons

* Very fast paced company with a lot of change (If you don't like companies that move quickly, this is not for you)

"Amazing first experience in the workforce"

Pros

I had worked odd jobs throughout high school and college, and had never had a real corporate experience. After graduation I got an internship working in one and I hated it. I counted the hours and couldn't wait for the work day to end.

Since joing Millennial Media, I actually enjoy going to work every day. the people I work with are great. Everyone has been helpful in showing me the ropes, my managers are patient and are very eager to help me learn and grow.

I've worked jobs before with little recognition, and Millennial feels like the opposite. Every task no matter how small it feels like I'm being told how great of a job I'm doing. Being able to be in an environment with such mutual respect and easy to get along people makes waking up every morning a real treat.

Cons

Reall the only downsides I have had with Millennial are the same struggles that come at any technology company. You are very reliant on it. And the slightest bug or issues can be very frustratting when you are in a good work flow, or if something you are working on is time sensitive.

Advice to Management

None, I really love the direction of the company

3. "You get out what you put in."

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has the benefit of being well established, but still has pockets of feeling like a start up at times. Lots of new products being worked on behind the scenes, even if sometimes it doesn't feel that way. There is a big shift of focus going on right now, which I believe will set things up pretty positively for the future. If you go out of your way to learn outside your role, there is decent scope to work on special projects and interesting things.

Cons

If you just come in every day and do the bare minimum, don't expect to get much out of working here - there are some people that do just that and it can drag the atmosphere down. You need to be a self starter and think outside the box a little to do well here.

Advice to Management

Hire smarter.

4. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Millennial has evolved significantly over the past several years to match the changing ad tech landscape. The team is committed to success and works hard to keep clients happy. The social environment is young, positive, and full of energy. The people who choose to work at Millennial have to be comfortable with a fast paced, constantly changing environment with competing demands. Working for Millennial means constantly challenging yourself to step outside of your comfort zone and push for more.

Cons

It used to be an issue that the company would think of the US firs,t and international markets second. This is changing quickly, and a realignment of teams has flipped this on its head. The international markets are now well supported.

"Not Transparent or Highly Motivated"

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Anything in mobile is a great place to be in right now
    Monetizing mobile has a huge amount of potential upside
    Fun Work Environment with lots of "startup-ie" stuff going on

Cons

The people are not very highly motivated - everyone is just working for the weekend
    There are a lot of questions about whether management is being transparent and whether the corporate values mean anything
    Technology is junk

Advice to Management

Strive for more than just being carried by the tide that is mobile
    You'll never get ahead if all your people are unmotivated - hire better people or find a way to incentivize current employees more
    Emphasize the tech department more - the product is probably the weakest part of the company

6. "Results driven and start up mindframe..corporate environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Smart and empowered team
    Clear set goals and initiatives

Cons

Unattainable goals in order to obtain profitability
    No direct connection to product team

7. "Very Good Environment."

Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very technology focused and they work to keep employees happy. Unlimited leave policy. Bonuses and stock options. Competitive salaries. Worked on leading edge technologies.

Cons

Worked there 2 years and had 4 managers. They seem to change the Tech leadership pretty often, and hence, the planning sometimes went out the window. Several abandoned projects while I was there.

Advice to Management

When you lose people at a pretty rapid rate you should probably start looking at why they are leaving and try to address it.

"No Direction"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Millennial Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Well-meaning peers. Supportive management until money needed to be spent to raise profile in a new market.

Cons

The IPO destroyed the company that hired me. Mgt changes post-IPO were disruptive. Mgt's became reactive, not proactive, and long-term planning disappeared. Mass exodus of staff. Recruiters refer to MM as buffet from which they can easily lift staff as needed.

Advice to Management

Little to advise because there are new fires being put out daily.

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

The company has undergone a lot of changes, but the people who are still at the company, including the CEO, really want to be here and really want to see us succeed. If you want to move up and don't mind working hard, this is a great place to take on as much as you can handle. The opportunities are there.

Cons

Things move very fast, so if you're the kind of person who doesn't do well with things changing, this is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Since the new CEO has joined, the communication of what we should be focusing on as a company has gotten better and better. Keep sharing the vision for the company with the team. The new head of HR has also made a great difference already and it is obvious she cares about helping employees find balance.

"Software enginneer"

I worked at Millennial Media full-time

Pros

You can work from home a lot, the schedule is flexible.

Cons

There are lots of hierarchy here. There is a thing here called "engineer managers", which are the people that are not necessarily better than you on technology, not necessarily with experiences of managing, but they are "managing" you, you will report to them. and similarly they are managed by some other mangers (the real managers) on a higher level, because the real managers don't feel like managing too many people and have to delegate their work to your manager, therefore they can draw a nice org-chart with levels.
    They also don't allow big changes, but understandable, because it is a public company now.

Advice to Management

You dont need so many managers, and the managers are not very convincing, that is why people are leaving, it is obvious.