Millennium Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Kevin N. Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Potential for Great Success"

Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA

I worked at Millennium Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is truly going places. With a restructure from previous years, Millennium seems to be on the right track.

Their HR department is impeccable. I was not privy to the previous HR dealings, but what I was exposed to was nothing less than exceptional.

Their finance department was always on point, ensuring every employee was paid on time, with zero harassment.

The overall culture of HQ was laid back, genuine, and inviting, which promoted self success and enabled self ambition. The executive team made me feel very comfortable and had an honest open door policy. Each executive was very approachable.

The company's rigorous strategic Business Development will surely put them on the right track as they continue to grow as a large business.

The company proved to be very flexible on hours, which helps many employees that have families or emergencies that arise.

Cons

A lot of communication flows up the chain, but fails to flow back down, leaving some employees and partners in the dark on specific situations.

Some processes take longer than what is acceptable, affecting many customers and partners.

HQ's bandwidth is currently stretched to the max, so professional development proved to be difficult to accomplish.

The culture from upper management to lower management does not seem to be consistent.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would give to management would be to promote more professional development and to avoid over-promising, whether it be to an employee, a contractor, a partner, or the customer.

"Strong Business Development Practice"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Millennium Corporation full-time

Pros

After 2 years with Millennium, I have been quite impressed with the structure, organization, and effectiveness of the business development practice. For a business of Millennium's size, the leadership team has made quite a large investment in new business growth resources (i.e. Capture Management, Proposal Management/Development.) The business development team is also incentivized by win award bonuses and exceptional performance spot bonuses. I would consider this team one of the stronger business development groups in the small-midsize firm Federal Contracting space.

Cons

I have had no negative experiences to speak of in this role.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your internal and external business development resources to grow a diverse book of business.

"Great Company & Leadership, Diverse Culture and growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Millennium Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is geared towards the right processes and the leadership is in sync with these changes. The leadership is vested in making the right changes for the organization's future. They like to promote from within and provide opportunities to people if they want to move between departments for more exposure. The mid level leadership is also very great and provides great support. There's a very good culture in the company and its a diverse environment which I personally really like. They are employee focused and provide a well balanced environment. I am enjoying working here.

Cons

I'm glad I haven't really faced any yet!

Advice to Management

They are on the right track!

"Run Away"

Pros

Nothing positive about this company.

Cons

The blind leading the blind. Fire employees at will.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone that cares.

"Great Company with a Bright Future"

I have been working at Millennium Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Millennium for a couple years now and I really have noticed some great changes. The company is definitely becoming more employee focused. They have brought in a great new management team at their corporate headquarters. Accounting is awesome. I always receive my pay and reimbursements on time. HR has done a great job of implementing new fringe benefits. Our health care coverage improved, while the cost to employees decreased!! Guaranteed 3% 401K match regardless of whether you contribute or not! Corporate staff is polite, professional, and very responsive!! Program managers / direct supervisors are also great. Obviously very focused on both client and employee satisfaction. They are always available for guidance and/or support.

In regards to the Millennium's employment opportunities, they are really providing some innovative mission-critical support to their clients. They have definitely established themselves as the preferred vendor for most of their clients.

Cons

Nothing that you wouldn't find at any other company...

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! You are obviously making changes and focusing more on the employees. Please know that we are noticing it and truly appreciate it.

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I've been working at Millennium Corporation for about 7 months now and I'm completely impressed with this organization. I've worked with a few government contractors since relocating to the D.C. area and some of them have struggled to make their employees feel valuable to the org's success. At Millennium, we're fully engaged and our opinions matter. The company is also committed towards the training and development of every employee. Millennium University is a new initiative that has been implemented to foster education by providing employees with Skillsoft coursework and unique, creative tools such as Udemy, Luminosity, and HarvardX. It's a great way to keep you on track with polishing up your current skills or learning new skills. I also love the culture here. It's not stuffy at all. We're treated like adults and there is no micro-management. We work hard and we play hard. I have never been one to recommend my current company to my friends or former coworkers but now I'm always on the look out for opportunities to share with them. I definitely see myself growing here as the company continues to grow.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

7. "I enjoy working for Millennium"

Pros

Great environment, Friendly employees that are easily accessible and happy to help, Always paid on time, Ability to see several aspects of the business, Several resources made available to help you succeed in your position. New members of the team have really improved Millenniums future.

Cons

No major complaints. How about some more company related events? Or maybe some team building exercises?

Advice to Management

Keep continuing to grow & continue improving staff with the right people.

"Wouldn't Recommend this Employer"

I worked at Millennium Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

I got paid on time.

Cons

Dishonest management practices -- for example, employee handbook states they will perform a salary review and performance appraisal every year. I worked there for over two years and received a written appraisal only when I repeatedly pressed my manager and requested it. Salary review/increase NEVER occurred in over two years, despite having an outstanding performance appraisal the whole time and excellent relationship with government client. Former HR manager stated the employee handbook information re: annual review was "an error"!

First line supervisor was very apathetic and disinterested in work being performed for the client and had little involvement or communications with employees on the team. Very little professional interaction between the Millennium manager and team -- all work and direction came from the client. Supervisor was generally absent from work site and unresponsive to emails. Received 0% day to day feedback from him.

Firm was rather tightfisted regarding delivering on promised professional development training and dragged its feet on paying reimbursement on company travel.

This company is probably in the lowest tier of those I have worked for in the federal contractor community. It is not horrible -- you will be paid on time and receive promised benefits. The company appears to be on solid footing financially. But most employees who work in direct support/billable (non corporate HQ/non-overhead) will probably see little or no career development opportunities or salary increases while working for Millennium, especially if they are over the age of 35 and already quite experienced in their field. Despite all their talk and promises, even if you are an outstanding employee and perform at 110%, as I and several others did, whatever position and pay you are hired at for Millennium is probably where you will still be years later. For me and many others, that meant it was time to move on, which I did and have not regretted. Millennium is basically a temp agency trying to pass itself off as a professional consulting agency. If they were a true professional services firm, they would possess intellectual property, proprietary approaches and a management culture that recognizes, rewards and promotes the advancement of their most skilled and professional employees. Their lack of such things exposes them as being merely a "body shop" /staffing firm and nothing more.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and retain, seasoned, expert level employees on your team (i.e., the ones that will bring in the most revenue and enable you to win the most complex, high-margin contracts with the best customers) you need to do more than be a old boys club for retired ex-military ROAD-warriors and 20-something recent college grads. If you do not know how to invest money in the continued development and job satisfaction of mature, seasoned employees, then just ask the age 40+ people who turn down your job offers or quit before 3 years why they are turned off by Millennium's culture and management practices.

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Millennium Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people I worked with were great.
    - 401k automatic contribution is nice, but really adds very little towards building a retirement account in the long run.
    - The jobs offered can be interesting. Somehow Millennium has toes in places that are cutting edge.

Cons

- Recruitment will promise you things that aren't in writing and then those things won't happen. Moral: Get everything in writing.
    - Benefits are sub par. High healthcare and dental rates. The company even bragged before the new year that employee contribution towards healthcare will be reduced! And it was! By $5 per period. Make sure you negotiate a high salary and make them give you the benefits package before you sign any offer. Personally, I was never given the benefits rundown before I joined.. I received the bad news during orientation.
    - No career progression; very few contracts. If you are hired into a technical field, there will be no forward movement in the company. They've setup a system to promote managers and reward them. However, there is no such system for people who just want to do their job.
    - Excuses. Issues will come up, someone will drop the ball, pay issues, technical issues, etc. The number one first response to any situation: "Millennium is still a new corporation and getting its feet wet still". The company has been in existence for 10+ years now and that excuse can't fly anymore.
    - Performance reviews are worthless; as are the year end bonuses. Further, you will stay at the salary you're hired in at for awhile and when you do get a bump in pay, it will not keep up with inflation. Once again, negotiate a higher salary.

Advice to Management

- Spread the wealth away from HQ. Allow regional managers to plan their events/parties instead of having everyone come to HQ for holiday events. Not everyone can leave their lives at home and fly hundreds of miles, away from children, to attend an event the company will spend the most money on that year. The ones that don't go, are left out of all appreciation as an employee.
    - No excuses. Own the issue, correct, move on. Proactive management, no more reactive.
    - Benefits.

"Questionable treatment of employees"

Pros

- Close to metro
    - Provides opportunities for classes/certifications towards professional development

Cons

When I first started with Millennium Corporation, I had high hopes. It's a small company and the advantage (or what I assumed at first) is being able to make an impact on the growth and development of Millennium. I couldn't have been more wrong. The recruiter led me to believe this would be a great experience and everything I hoped for in the position would be realized. I even passed up a different (management) position for this job. It was a HUGE mistake.

Once I got there, my first manager was unstable and the position I thought I was going to have ended up morphing into something I literally didn't sign up for. When I expressed concern to upper management, they completely dismissed what I had to say and expected me to "suck it up". At first, I tried to make the best out of the situation, but when my manager was eventually dismissed, they were replaced with another manager who ended up being one of the worst I have ever experienced.

The manager meant well and I'm sure was pleasant outside of work, but when it came to managing their team, the manager was at times verbally abusive and unfair in delegating work. I have never felt as demoralized at a job as I did while working with this manager. During my time there I had seen mistreatment of a couple of employees, yelling, swearing and unfairness in how work was delegated. By the end, I felt a HUGE sense of relief when I got myself out of there.

Experiences will definitely vary depending on your work location and manager. This can potentially be a great company to work for if you land a good manager and position that's right for you, I just hadn't experienced or seen this.

Advice to Management

- Management LISTEN to your employees and don't dismiss what your employees have to say
    - Don't treat your employees like they're working in a sweat shop
    - Promote POSITIVE, not NEGATIVE validation
    - Don't demoralize your employees