Millennium Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Millennium Research Group Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2018

Found 39 reviews

Millennium Research Group CEO 	Jim Lang (no image)
Jim Lang
  1. "Great place to work, but long-term retention is an issue"

Current Employee - Analyst in

I have been working at Millennium Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bright and engaging coworkers, laid-back and friendly work environment, flexible hours. Because it's a small company, everyone is always very supportive and happy when big sales are made, projects are completed, or reports are published. Very team-oriented, "we're all in this together" kind of attitude.

Cons

Pay is below average for this kind of position. This factor, and the lack of opportunity for growth (as is the case with most small companies), is one of the main reasons people leave after a year or so. It's unfortunate, because it seems like almost everyone loves the work culture and would be happy to stay otherwise.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more aggressive in keeping valuable employees at the company - everyone takes a hit when we lose bright, motivated team members. Another suggestion would be to start everyone off on 6-12 month contracts so it's easier to turn over employees that aren't producing value - almost all new hires are fresh out of university, so it's a huge gamble offering them full-time employment right off the bat.

Millennium Research Group2012-12-22
  2. "Positive for a while"

I have been working at Millennium Research Group

Pros

Independent work environment that for the most part is fairly stress free. Young group, average age among analysts must be low to mid 20's so this can be fun.

Cons

Poor pay. Management has very little experience. Actually follow methodology for reports to ensure quality. Lots of office politics.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to boost employee morale

Millennium Research Group2012-10-22

"Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Millennium Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Take a chance on new graduates. Allow you to claim some work experience.

Cons

Tight deadlines, long hours, and few opportunities to grow.

Advice to Management

Worry a bit less about growth and a bit more about your employees' happiness.

Millennium Research Group2012-09-26
  4. "A young, fun place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Millennium Research Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Millennium Research Group has a great team that is fun to work with and a management team that is driven to take the company to the next level.

Cons

There is a standard salary structure, and it starts a bit low, but if you show promise and stay for a bit, you will be compensated well.

Millennium Research Group2012-08-14
  5. "good learning experience, smart coworkers"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in

I worked at Millennium Research Group full-time

Pros

good group of young, bright people work there social atmosphere centrally located office opportunities to work on different projects exposure to some high-profile clients even at a junior position

Cons

reports side can be tedious work with random hrs (EU, AP work) for many people (managers) it's their first job and it shows low pay for what it is high turnover

Advice to Management

work to keep your best people. they are who will drive the company forward in future.

Millennium Research Group2012-06-16

"Fun at first, then deteriorated quickly, get your mileage and then run!"

Former Employee - Analyst in

I worked at Millennium Research Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun workforce Everyone is quite young and easy to relate to Lots of opportunity to gain experience

Cons

Undervalue employees in many ways, from very low salary to poor training. The only reason this company succeeds is because they underpay their hard-working employees and they have *almost* a monopoly on the market (almost no one else does this kind of work, so no one else sells the kinds of products we do).

Advice to Management

You've gotten rid of the heart of one of your most revenue-producing products and outsourced it to an incompetent company. You just don't realize this because you don't have to deal, day-in and day-out with their employees or their sub-par data and work ethic. This was one of the worst things you have done for the company, and now your analysts are paying the price with impossible to interpret data, while your... researcher force has been layed off. Good goin' geniuses! Leave it to the executives to totally miss the mark and not listen to the people who do the real work.

Millennium Research Group2012-06-26

"The Sinking Ship is going down"

Former Employee - Market Researcher in Toronto, ON

I worked at Millennium Research Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Young and dedicated people. Central location on the Yonge and Bloor core.

Cons

No attention from the direction to develop and retain the best employees. During the years tens of brilliant workers: analyst, managers, researchers quit or were laid off in a way that no one deserved. The decision makers are blind and they don't see or they don't want to see the ship sinking... No future for growth. Salary is one of the lowest compared to the wide market.

Advice to Management

Take in consideration the contribution of the brave workers that gave so much and received so little.

Millennium Research Group2012-06-16
  8. "A great career starting point - not a mature company but may be a really great place to work in 10-20 years"

in Toronto, ON

I worked at Millennium Research Group

Pros

Very fun people, young workforce with lots of bright ideas and innovation, sense of community and real friendships at work. Feels a bit more like a highschool or camp versus a professional organization, which makes it fun. Lots of opportunity to learn and gain interesting experience. You are expected to do a lot and take a lot of ownership over you work and therefore you really learn a lot.

Cons

Not much growth opportunity. Everyone starts off at the same salary (about $40K) and then it goes up in small amounts twice per year as you get "promoted" through different levels. Makes you feel like a kid - instead of an adult. This company is very unlike any other professional organization. A big con is that everyone complains about everything constantly at MRG. No one working there has ever worked anywhere... else - everyone comes straight out of university - therefore, although people complain, they really have no frame of reference. It isn't that bad at MRG - it is actually quite a fun place to work. The benefits, RRSP, maternity leave etc. are not good.

Advice to Management

Treat people like adults, get talent that has worked at other companies. Stop hiring everyone right out of university - that is no way to build a strong and diverse workforce.

Millennium Research Group2012-02-01

"Learned everything I needed to know in about 3 months, now looking to jump this (sinking) ship!"

Analyst in

I have been working at Millennium Research Group

Pros

* Great way to break into your first job after undergrad... * Great to have 90% of the employees as new undergrads, like me! * Great location for shopping around downtown, as recently for the holiday season it made Xmas shopping easy. * Great for short-term employment while you look to find a real and better paying job that values your background =)

Cons

* Out-of-touch management! Ignorant at retaining the bright cadre, many have left or are in process of leaving soon! * Only focus is the $moolah. At every meeting the President is there to talk about how we have these targets to sell at, the previous President, who has now retreated back to his lair in the US, once remarked that Analysts are too concerned about quality, if we can sell 10pgs (of what amount to BS)... lets sell it! We can make money (with a smile). Funny, I think all the clients I spoke to care about quality, it's why they buy our product and services. * Managers/Supervisors are fake, they pretend to care about your aspirations and career goals - really its all BS. No concern for professional development. * One manager has been quoted as saying, "if we can keep you for a year to year and half, we've made our buck back from you." Great way to look at your workforce! * Managers+supervisors are under 30-35 and have only worked here their working life of less than 5 years. Many are arrogant and egotistical - power-hungry personalities can be found - and are always in denial about any problems. If you bring up a concern, you can bet you've become the problem, so beware to keep a lid on it. * If you are educated, confident about your career goals, don't settle for this place (even if you accept the job, go home every night and look for another job)....better yet...DON'T WORK HERE!

Advice to Management

* Quit demoralizing your workforce with the nonsense of setting unrealistic goals. * Realize that your clients actually expect me, as your Analyst, to be an expert in the markets I report, this means you giving us the time we need. * Quit showing favortism - treat all your employees with the respect and dignity they deserve. You hired us because you must have recognized our talents and strengths at one point. Let... us use them the way we know best AND stop the micro-managing. There is no honour in dishonouring your fellow workers. * Quit undervaluing me! Pay me a REAL salary!

Millennium Research Group2012-01-20

"A shell of its former self"

Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Millennium Research Group

Pros

Co-workers: young, dynamic, fun-loving Downtown location: right at Yonge and Bloor Community: lots of opportunties to give to charity through events and paid volunteer days

Cons

Lack of experience: for most people, this is their first job and it shows. Even the head of the company has never worked anyplace else. High turnover: In the past year nearly all of the senior managers have quit or been fired. Everyone I know is looking for jobs. Chaotic: high-turnover and chronic understaffing mean people are thrown onto projects at the last minute and into very stressful situations.

Advice to Management

This used to be a fun place to work but the atmosphere now is like a totalitarian regime. Stop demotivating people by monitoring their every move and being intolerant of constructive criticism.

Millennium Research Group2011-12-22