Miller Cooper &Co Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ross S. Pearlstein, CPA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Relaxed environment, empowered employees, work life balance."

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Miller Cooper &Co (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment where everyone is friendly and willing to stop what they're doing and help.
    Staff are encouraged to take on what they think they can handle, mentors are provided to keep an eye on scheduling, make sure nobody is sitting around bored/doing nothing, and most importantly help if the workload is too much.
    Smaller firm = exposure to a much wider range of work. You will not be pigeonholed into one specific thing and forced to do the same work repeatedly. However, you can direct yourself into work you prefer after awhile.
    Immediate access/approachability of partners and senior managers.
    Great benefits, competitive pay, great work life balance, respect for home/family obligations, flexible working arrangements (work from home anytime it is necessary).
    Management/partner demographic is shifting towards the younger end which has led to many positive changes in firm policy and procedure.

Cons

The nature of the business (tax accounting) is going to require some long days due to deadlines, etc.
    Smaller midsize firm so not as many corporate events/perks as you would get with Big 4 for example.
    Office cliques can be annoying at times but nothing you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The changes so far have been great and the future looks bright. Incorporate more firm sponsored outings and treat your employees. Word of mouth is powerful recruiting.

2. "Good"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very helpful co-workers. Easy to get along with.

Cons

Some of the partners aren't the best to deal with.

3. "Stressful company to be a part of"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co full-time

Pros

They have computers with two screens and a laptop. One hour lunches. Clean office and breakroom. Provide fruits every Tuesday in breakeoom

Cons

Working for management that is constantly monitoring you and waiting to correct your mistakes and call you out is stressful. Favoritism in office. And people that think they are entitled. Managers suck and remember your mistakes.

Advice to Management

Get to know the people you hire. Become friends with them. Make them feel welcomed.

"All the other reviews had to be written by mgrs or partners"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one. They lack organization and diversity. They will pretend to be flexible and then use it against you when they give you your annual review. Parents and people with families need not apply.

Cons

The people are literally plastic. No one ever cracks a smile. You can walk past someone 5 times a day and they will never even say hello. They have ridiculous expectations on their scheduling needs. They work staff and interns (those poor interns) to the bone and I mean all year long. Most managers, staff, seniors and partners have frigid and cold personalities. It is the strangest place to ever work. You will feel like you are in the twilight zone. Unfortunately, I was forced to give them 1 star just to submit this review, but I'd much rather given them none.

Advice to Management

Diversify. Offer people opportunities to take additional training and grow in their careers.

5. "Great Company, Great Opportunity for Career Growth"

Former Employee - Tax Senior in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal opportunity for growth as a tax professional. The firm is focused on their employee's learning and growth, giving everyone the opportunity to prove themselves and advance their career. The firm is well organized with a good culture. Ricky Max was one of the best bosses I've ever worked for. He fostered a hard working and productive work environment, and truly cares for the firm's clients as well as everyone in the office.

Cons

None. If you want to work in public accounting in the Chicago area, this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow as a firm and champion employee growth.

"audit staff"

Current Employee - Audit Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worke at two other public firms in the industry and MCC is an unparalleled experience for the following reasons: great compensation, great corporate culture that supports each other's development, social events are always available, organized and consistent work flow, respectful leadership, and strong reliance on work quality. These just brush the surface of the many benefits on working for MCC!

Cons

None so far even though traditionally public accounting is a rough industry.

Advice to Management

none, they are doing great and are very passionate about providing industry leading quality services to their clients'

"New Hire - Staff Auditor; AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!"

Current Employee - Audit Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are what make the firm amazing. Working at Miller Cooper is like having a second family. They want the best for you and they'll help you in anyway possible.

There's an amazing balance of discipline/structure and flexiblility/compassion at the firm. The environment fosters learning, teamwork, communication, and growth. All of which encourage drive and motivation. This is not just a job, this is a career. And so much of time is spent working, why not love where you work.

The generous benefits offered (i.e. vacation, insurance, CPA study time, etc.) are just the icing on the cake.

Cons

There are general cons that come with working in public accounting like longer hours during busy season but when you enjoy the people you work with, the time flies by, and before you know it busy season is done. It's challenging to extend yourself but Miller Cooper doesn't give out anything they don't think you can handle and when all is said and done, you feel accomplished.

"God forbid you have a medical issue during tax season."

Former Employee - Tax in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Tax in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Empowering partners, women in management, training is decent but it is mainly on the job training.

One thing I really liked about this firm was that there were many women in management positions and I did feel supported. The training is mainly on the job. The firm doesn't really put money out for outside training but I found partners and managers to be be very approachable for questions and to make sure I was on the right track. If there is a project that is a bit outside the box, I was encouraged to run with a project and keep the partner updated, which was very satisfying. I liked the clients of the firm that I worked for very much.

The new Deerfield office and Chicago are beautiful and were a pleasure to work in. The Chicago office is right in the train station building, which is very convenient if you have a downtown meeting that day. The firm did a good job going paperless.

Cons

Crazy office politics gets horrible during tax season, some moody partners, office favorites, inconsistent management, immature favorites are loud and play beach ball games in cubicles which makes good client service nearly impossible for those of us who are trying to do our jobs.

I received excellent performance reviews for every year at this firm except for my last tax season. Coincidently, this was also the year that I required emergency surgery during tax season and had to miss a few weeks of work. After the deadline for performance reviews, which were all good, there were two of the managing partner's buddies who felt compelled to write bad performance reviews and I was summarily let go. This treatment was after five years of excellent performance reviews and promotions. Unfortunately, at this firm you are just a number and a source of revenue.

The tax group has their favorites and if you suck up I guess you can be part of the in crowd. It's like high school all over again, which is annoying if you are way beyond that and I was. I consider myself lucky to have been let go from this firm. I found a much better opportunity where my management skills and technical abilities are valued and supported.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be revamped, retrained or something. Tax staff or any staff mustn't be verbally abused just because a partner or manager is having a hissy fit. Spend some money on real management training and follow through. Just because someone is good technically does not mean they make a good manager. Spend the time and money to make well rounded managers and partners. I experienced several situations from managers that were right on the line between unprofessional and possibly unlawful behaviors. In retrospect, I think management training would have worked to prevent that sort of thing.

Also, when you have staff people acting like the office is a frat house and throwing beach balls around after 6pm, that might be one reason why realization is lower than it could be. Who can concentrate with all that nonsense going on? Only the people who suffer through and eat time look good on paper but they are looking to get out at the first opportunity. I didn't really understand that until I left. I do consider my time at this firm to be valuable because it taught me a great deal about how I want to treat people and to appreciate the position I am in now.

"Subpar, just good for a paycheck, not a career by any means."

Former Employee - Tax in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tax in Chicago, IL

I worked at Miller Cooper &Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, decent benefits, health insurance is fully covered and company contributes to HSA. Location is perfect, it's right across Union station. Great for commuters. Dinner during busy season.

Cons

Miller Cooper & Co. does not value employee development nor do they value their employees. They have a so called "mentor program" and a "buddy system" just for formality sake. It isn't much enforced and half of the upper management involved in the program, for lack of other words, just don't care enough. There is heavy favoritism among upper management and the staff that has been there for a few years. Communication between senior managers and some of the lower levels is extremely poor. New staff are expected to go looking for their own work due to the poor communication channels. Work is often assigned and then reassigned without any notice.The firm is very easy to let people go without truly developing them. Extremely high turnover, both voluntary and involuntary.

Advice to Management

The firm is in serious need of a complete revamp of the management structure. There needs to be action taken regarding the heavy favoritism among senior management and some of the staff. Upper management really needs to figure out a way to develop their employees if they want to retain good people. A 3 day crash course in the accounting software is just not enough. Employee development is something that is ongoing, and needs to be reconsidered from time to time. The method of finding work is also very haphazard. There needs to be a better system put into place to ensure all associates are receiving work without having to make looking for work their main job.

10. "Audit Senior"

Pros

The firm offers excellent work-life balance if you want to stay in public accounting in audit.

Cons

While the Firm offers services to a variety of clients, some of the small/ low end clients are rather unsophisticated and are more of a pain than beneficial to deal with.