Miller Nash Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Miller Nash Managing Partner Donald A. Burns
Donald A. Burns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great People - Good Culture - Low Pay"

I have been working at Miller Nash full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, constant company events with food and drinks provided, easy-going culture, lovely location on waterfront next to relaxing sculpture park, company is very understanding with family obligations or sudden emergencies.

Cons

Low pay, on the waterfront so lunch diversity is limited and the commute is longer than straight downtown, no match for your 401K.

Advice to Management

Please consider a 401k match and a full parking subsidy, instead of partial. Advise Glassdoor.com that Donald A. Burns is not our CEO? I would give Kieran Curley a big thumbs up.

"Great Firm."

Former Employee - Litigation Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Litigation Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Miller Nash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working at Miller Nash. I absolutely loved all the people I worked with. I felt the Partners genuinely wanted Associates to do well and to become the best lawyers they could be. I was given a lot of great opportunities and more autonomy than I would have expected as a first year. I also found the other Associates to be extremely collaborative and supportive. I couldn't have asked for a better place to start my law career.

Cons

Nothing you wouldn't expect working as a Litigation Associate at a larger firm. It's hard work and hours can be long and unpredictable - but I felt that I was compensated well and given flexibility when I needed it.

Advice to Management

Sustain: Training Hours for New Associates
    Improve: Give first year Litigation Associates a little more Pro-Bono Hours so they can get more of that experience if it is available.

3. "Not too bad, but not for the long-term"

I worked at Miller Nash full-time

Pros

I liked far more people than I disliked and I felt that the compensation and evaluations were even-handed and fair.

Cons

Firm seemed to have an inflated sense of its prestige when it was bleeding a lot of talent and falling behind other larger firms.

Advice to Management

Focus less on the firm's past and focus more on moving the firm forward into the future--need to be more comfortable allowing the younger guard assume more responsibility in firm management.

4. "Good Firm"

Pros

Good pay and work life balance

Cons

Too big of a firm - office politics

5. "Prestigious firm with good intentions, but a few bad partners, and a bad work-distribution system"

I worked at Miller Nash full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits; opportunity for meaningful work early in career.

Cons

MN overworks and underpays its best associates---especially in litigation. E.g., the associates in less demand get paid the same base salary, but work 1-3 months less per year (in billable hours)---and the bonuses for the overworked do not come close to compensating for these extra hours. Also, some partners are unnecessarily rude and harsh to associates.

Advice to Management

Restructure pay or bonus system so that a few attorneys are not working so much more for so very little extra... Have partners police each other's treatment of associates to conform to desired culture.

"Most associate attorneys are in fear"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Portland, OR

I worked at Miller Nash full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, other than the prestige of the name of the firm in the Northwest US, I can't think of any.

Cons

No real team work or helpfulness among the associate attorneys. Many partners are overly demanding and don't give clear details of projects. I heard of a few associates before my time that had nervous breakdowns working for one partner in particular who would mumble directions to a huge task and then get very upset when the end product wasn't perfect according to his standards. Also, associate attorneys with years of experience are not even allowed to send out a brief cover letter to a client without having a partner review it first. Very uptight environment - even by law firm standards.

Advice to Management

Be kinder to your associates and you will be a better and more productive firm. Also, you should pay associates with similar levels of experience the same rate. I had more experience than the person in the office next to me and was paid $10,000 less per year.

7. "okay..."

Former Employee - Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Associate in Vancouver, WA

Pros

There is a good work life balance for associates, firm seems generally pretty flexible, there was decently interesting work, most partners okay to work for....

Cons

Salaries are not great, some partners can be a bit condescending depending on what practice area you're in, standard benefits.

Advice to Management

The firm management should work on the level of communication to associates and staff, especially during financial downturns as was evident when the firm laid off several associates and staff when the market tanked.

8. "Good place for legal training"

Pros

I was treated very well by Miller Nash. I was given excellent opportunities to grow as a lawyer and to take on cases and issues by myself, even at the start of my career. There are some wonderful people at that firm who made it a great place to work. The billable requirement was manageable.

Cons

I felt a lot of pressure to bring in new business. Some of the senior partners have tremendous egos. Making money drove a lot of the decisions made in that place, but it is a for-profit company, after all. I didn't feel personally connected with many of the attorneys there.

Advice to Management

I recommend a little more openness when it comes to discussing firm matters. The associate attorneys want to know how the firm is doing, and what problems it is facing - it's OK to share this information. Also, associates should be educated at an earlier stage in their career about what it is truly like to be a partner.