Miller PR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Dawn Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "passionate people and great learning experience"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A passionate team and great clients
    Management who actually enjoy their job and coming to work and helping the team grow and learn from them
    A team of people who see their job as something to enjoy not just a pay check - nice to be surrounded by people like this who aren't jaded
    weekly agency breakfasts and lunches
    upward growth and internal promotions for hard work, regular reviews and raises

Cons

elevators in the building break down too often

Advice to Management

nothing much, thought it was very good. maybe introduce some team monthly training sessions?

2. "Supervisor"

I worked at Miller PR full-time

Pros

Decent salary, good mid-level team members, location of office.

Cons

Sweat shop hours, ulcer inducing work environment, difficult to get reimbursed for expenses, micromanaging leadership.

3. "A Good Start"

I worked at Miller PR full-time

Pros

Miller PR has great clients, a great team, and great intentions.
    It is a great place to learn the ropes, fast.
    Lots of direct access, supervision and great training by the CEO.

Cons

Intentions aren't everything.
    It is a great place to burn out quickly.
    The lack of any senior executives not only indicates the lack of upward mobility, but creates a frustrating and disorganized environment.

Advice to Management

I'm grateful for the experience, and I really did enjoy a lot of my time at Miller. The previous reviews here are mixed and dated, but all have an element of truth.
    My advice would be to acknowledge that and apply some of the feedback rather than writing it off.

"Good company and nice people who care"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found my time there to be delightful and extremely rewarding. management was very helpful with whatever junior level employees needed help with. I was constantly reviewed and evaluated for the work I put in. the agency takes a lot of pride in the clients and work and team and it made me want to work to the highest level I could and i felt appreciated. even though i only had just over a year of experience i was included in important meetings and given a chance. If put high level work in, the outcome is extremely rewarding.

Cons

There have been instances of working longer hours than I originally anticipated, but it doesn’t go unnoticed. The entertainment industry isn’t always a 9 to 5 job. If you did put in the time and effort, it was valued

"Definitely fast tracked my career"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for over two years and for me it was a really great experience, i was promoted twice and had good salary increases. Of course some days could be tough with clients but its like that in PR, and mainly it was a lot of fun and i learned a ton about how the entertainment industry and publicity work. i got to work with lots of celebrity clients and also some cool lifestyle and fashion brands. I loved the teams i worked on and the clients and got to do some really awesome things which will stay with me forever.

Cons

you have to be thick skinned in PR and not take it personal if a reporter or client gets upset at you. everyone has bad days. what i did love is the way this agency gets behind its employees and supports them, there is a no blame supportive culture, which i thought was really neat.

"Closest thing to a sweatshop..."

Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been quite some time since I worked for Miller PR. So I decided to google the agency to see what they have been up to. I was pleasantly surprised to see this Glass Door site, and see that I wasn't the only one who truly loathed working for this "Hunger Games"-like agency. I was young and innocent and didn't realized what I was getting into. I should have seen the red flags from the moment I interviewed to head for the hills. I did make friends with a couple of genuine people, so I am thankful for that. But then again you can do that anywhere without having to lose your hair from stress.
    Btw, whichever intern was commanded to write positive reviews on the agency, shame on you for overlooking your integrity, you're better than that!

Cons

-The owner will purposely wait an hour plus knowing that a interviewee is waiting outside for an interview. She is not busy, she will make that person wait just for the sake of making that person wait. Trying to establish a false sense of authority even before that interviewee is hired.
    -The owner is extremely dismissive of her employees and could care less of peoples' personal lives. I've never seen the owner treat people with such disrespect in my life.
    -Prepare for Karoshi - Japanese for "death by work." I was told that work ends at 6pm. It doesn't. It unofficially ends at 7pm, and if you leave on the dot you're branded as someone not committed to the cause.
    -The owner is so incredibly paranoid, that she will fire you even before she gets her facts straight. I saw it happen numerous times.
    -Don't ever pay anything out of pocket. You will either never get reimbursed, or will have to wait months with begging and nagging to get your money back.
    -MPR claims to have repped P-Diddy. They never did.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the real reviews below and take into account that your business model/philosophy is flawed. You're destroying wonderful opportunities by trying to be "Hollywood." This isn't Entourage. You're running a business. Instead of turning and burning your employees, spend the time to actually build them up. You won't believe how much dedication, attention and guidance will create loyalty.

Oct 7, 2014 – President

I'm sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I'm not sure how these opinions were formed so strongly but they don't represent how I try to run the agency and so I'd like to address them. At... More

"Worst Mistake of your Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent office location in LA....definitely the type of little office to be proud of. They do hire some talented people for management, even they are insanely unkind (not even cordial or professional). They also handle PR for Paris Hilton, which is cool.

Cons

The WORST kind of company. They pay you a barely livable salary to be able to work insane hours doing pure bologna PR. Not only is the office freezing with no break room, the place is completely silent and unfriendly. The turnover is extraordinarily high due to the fact that they have only ONE, count it, ONE large account and the rest of their business is failing and unimportant.

Oct 7, 2014 – President

Thanks for your feedback and comments, I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience, we are listening to all constructive feedback and continually looking improve. I'd like to address a couple of... More

"A fast paced company that started my career in Entertainment!"

Former Employee - Employee in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as an Assistant to the CEO when the company was first starting out. It was such a rewarding experience to learn the in's and out's of PR from someone with as much business savvy and experience as the owner. I was able to learn a lot and prepare myself for a career in entertainment. I ultimately moved into working in talent representation, and wouldn't have been able to make the transition without this experience.

Cons

PR is really hard work. I would give the company five stars but they were in there infancy when I started and also its hard to recommend this type of work to everyone as PR is not for the faint of heart. There were some bugs that still needed to be worked out but thats true for any start up when I was there. I heard they are really rocking and rolling now though and have really worked out all the growing pains.

Advice to Management

You have to have a bit of a tough skin for PR, it wasn't for me, but it was a great experience. I would personally disregard the negative reviews about this company as they probably are from people that can't handle this type of work period. I found the CEO to be a great person to learn from; and as far as I know they, have a high retention rate for employees as they promote from within often. So the people that just didn't make the cut are likely just a bit bitter and resentful. It's a very fast paced world and there are a lot of tough personalities in general in this field (this is not specific to Miller PR). I would say if your considering PR or Miller PR remember this company is the real deal and you better be ready to work. They represent some very high level clients for a reason.

"Nice try ...."

I worked at Miller PR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Bagel Fridays and Happy Hours
    - Great Junior Staff and outstanding dedicated interns
    - Occasional client and office parties

I see upper management is again prompting staff/interns by to write a fake good review that say the company culture is fun and engaging. The CEO might know PR and shows enthusiasm for it when you actually see her. The offices are awkward in layout but pretty, the furniture is more for looks then usability but its all about how things "look" in this business anyhow.

Cons

- Drunk upper management at occasional client & office parties
    - Micromanaging and gossipy CEO
    - Other "C-Level" employees hold no real power
    - Long 14-hour+ Days ("because we're a start-up! and this is PR!!!")
    - Hijacking of evening and weekend plans without dinner at times until 9-10pm!!!!!
    - Chaotic work environment ("because we're a start-up! and this is PR!!!")
    - Hiding ill behavior patterns behind "we're a start-up" phrase
    - No break room to eat in or to take a break and no they do not provide any snacks
    - People so sleep deprived they are zombies

And your staff should never feel that they're only as good as their last mistake. People make mistakes, it's how we learn. Stressing out your employees to the point that they're all openly entertaining new jobs isn't the way to run a business. I have no doubt that company has a great junior staff, but the management structure is greatly flawed. Highest turn-over I've ever seen at any company. All most of people in the pictures on the website are not with the company anymore and haven't been for a long long time. There are no sour grapes here only relief to have gotten out and would not want another young person being mislead to leave their current job for this place. If current employees tell you things like "get out as soon as you can" on your first day like they told me trust them and do just that...

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to cover up the bad with fake positive reviews, how about you listen to what makes your employees unhappy. Instead of trying to provide a blanket cover of watch over all of your staff, how about you spend time letting your senior staff run your company and make it both fun and productive. It doesn't help at all to have absent yet micromanaging CEO constantly pointing out the negative in something ridiculous. We shouldn't have to feel that we're jeopardizing our job by leaving at a reasonable hour in the day, and we shouldn't have to postpone private plans for the company we strive to help succeed. Sweatshop workers are better treated than most of your staff. No boss is perfect but this place was by far the worst experience I have been in during my career with a boss. I felt I was dealing with someone in high school. I doubt you even realize how unprofessional and immature your "corrections" sounded to your staff that is well adjusted and don't feel the need to intimate people to get the job done.

Oct 7, 2014 – President

I'm sorry and disappointed to hear you have such a horrible view of the company and your time there and I wish I could have worked more closely with you to resolve these feelings and understand your... More

"Don't believe the LIES!"

Pros

Talented and hardworking employees.
    Staff pulls together to help each other on projects

Cons

PR is a tough industry and hard work, but it does not mean being micromanaged and overworked until the point of burn out.
    Staff uses this as a stepping stone to move onto much better. The turnover is like no other company. There is almost a whole new staff every year or two.
    Almost all positive reviews have been posted due to request from the CEO in response to each TRUE negative review.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with the respect they deserve and not to trash each one to another staff member behind their backs. It is not Jr. high so grow up!!