Miller-Valentine Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Krul II

1. "Mostly happy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Miller-Valentine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good work environment
    Friendly associates

Cons

Frustrations with computer network & software

Apr 3, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your input! Addressing constantly changing technology developments is a priority for our IS team. Consider communicating to them any issues.

2. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Miller-Valentine (More than 3 years)

Pros

AWESOME PLACE TO WORK, I wish I knew about this company 7 years ago, absolutely the best place to work

Cons

Need more properties in the Cleveland / Akron area

Oct 10, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing! We strive to provide a strong employment experience and continue to review potential locations to grow. Cleveland/Akron area is a great location.

3. "Unfair company"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Hickory, NC

Pros

I liked the job itself and the benefits were good. They're quick to give you vacation and sick time. It could be a really good job if you worked for a good manager.

Cons

You're just a number. It's a big corporation and they don't care about individuals. I was bullied and belittled and lied to by my manager. My manager didn't respect me or act professional. I thought Human Resources would care and make things right but when I reached out to them they fired the entire staff. The problemsbetween my manager and I were getting bad but instead of firing one or both of us they fired the whole staff! And three of us got along great! It was only the manager that brought the problems in.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about individuals and don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Yeah, there were a lot of issues between me and my manager, but you threw away an outstanding (even beloved within the community) leasing specialist and a very good maintenance man. That was off the charts stupid!

Dec 13, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Miller-Valentine Group strives to care for our Associates and immediately address misunderstandings that sometimes occur among team members. When conflicts arise, our “Open Door” policy allows for ... More

5. "Construction company with a solid foundation"

Current Employee - Fixer of Bleeps, Bloops, and Flickering Whizbangs in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Miller-Valentine full-time

Pros

After being with MVG for over a decade, I've gotten to know a broad cross section of the folks that work here. Our associates are hard working, responsible, and courteous professionals that do good work while still having a few laughs. The leadership communicates well with the rest of the team, and isn't afraid to answer tough questions. Overall, I feel this company's approach on how to do business is a major part of what attracts employees as well as clients.

Simply put, this really is a great place to work.

Cons

Pretty much the only major thing I notice from a negative standpoint is a resistance to change. Some folks have been here for multiple decades, and have gotten very good at doing their jobs in specific ways. The familiarity with older processes, as well as a perceived lack of time to investigate newer ones, results in a tendency not to investigate possible improvements. This is understandable, as we're all very busy and thus reluctant to learn new things when we know we can get the job done "the old way". But still, I feel perhaps sometimes we let good things pass us by as a result.

6. "Community manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Fostoria, OH
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Fostoria, OH

I worked at Miller-Valentine (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful company to work for -take very good care of their people.

Cons

Headquartered in Cincinnati so face to face time is seldom available.

Advice to Management

Open lines of communication are working well for the field representatives

Aug 9, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your input. Face to face communication with Associates in our many geographic locations is a challenge we are constantly striving to improve. We understand the importance of this issue ... More

7. "Great Starting Construction Project Management Employer"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Miller-Valentine (More than 8 years)

Pros

Miller Valentine hires co-op students from local universities and provides on the job experience and training. New hires can quickly take on greater amounts of responsibility depending on performance. In booming years, the bonuses are healthy. Some really great people to work with and for.

Cons

Miller Valentine didn't seem very willing to give raises or promotions. For many consecutive years , bonuses of any amount were not issued due to struggling construction market. Your experience might vary widely depending on which senior project manager you are working for.

Advice to Management

Issue bonuses, raises or promotions when performance merits them. If performance is lacking confront that as well, so employees know if there is a reason for the lack of raises or promotions or if it is just office politics.

Aug 9, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to offer competitive and fair market compensation which includes bonuses based on individual and company performance. Performance reviews are conducted yearly ... More

8. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

MVG treats their employees great and never makes you feel like just a number. Management trusts their team to use their skills without micromanaging everything.

Cons

Some people complain about pay compared to the industry norms. This didn't affect me personally, but depending on your role you may make a lot more elsewhere.

9. "Commercial Construction"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager/Estimator in Moraine, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager/Estimator in Moraine, OH

I have been working at Miller-Valentine (More than a year)

Pros

Very Technical and detailed orientated.

Cons

Workload is indiscriminately distributed throughout department. Poor direction by management.

Advice to Management

Do a better job training personnel. Establish SOP

10. "Property Manger"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Miller-Valentine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best Management Companies I worked for.

Cons

Sometimes communication doesn't get where it needs to.

11. "This is the way a company should be run - sharing ideas in both directions."

Former Employee - Co-Op in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Dayton, OH

Pros

Good people to work with
    Company is concern about its employees

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities

Aug 16, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Miller-Valentine Group is consistently focusing our attention on individual discussions and development of career opportunities for our Associates. Good momentum since 2011!