Milpitas USD Reviews in Milpitas, CA | Glassdoor

Milpitas, CA

3.8
Cary Matsuoka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Instructional Assistant Teacher in the Special Needs Class."

Former Employee - Special Education Instructional Assistant in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Instructional Assistant in Milpitas, CA

Pros

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to work with a series of best teachers in Early Childhood Education with Special Needs. Thus gains a good experience handling the Special Needs Children. Also I have advanced my career completing ECE Specilizing with Special Needs course.

Cons

Unfortunately I had to take an early Retirement from my job due to family reason and move to Canada temporarily.

Advice to Management

I have a Master Teacher Permit on Early Childhood Education with Special Needs from California.

2. "Good district to work for but quality of job depends on principal"

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Milpitas USD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The salary is a bit higher than other districts.

Cons

I worked at 2 elem schools in MUSD. The first one had a principal who was very lost. We received no professional development for the few years I was there lower performing kids fell through the cracks. The school I work at now has an inspirational "hero" principal. They make sure kids don't fall through the cracks and get services they need. Also, I've become a better trained teacher here. So ask around about the school culture and principal before you begin working at a school here. Also, get a a masters. I don't have one and there are people who aren't as good teachers as me are able to get a higher pay for me with no good reason.

Advice to Management

If a school isn't working please don't let it fester.

3. "Substitute Instructional Aide (Teaching Assistant) a few times a month"

Current Contractor - Substitute Instructional Aide in Milpitas, CA
    Current Contractor - Substitute Instructional Aide in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Milpitas USD as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

If a teacher liked you, you might get called more often because of your outstanding service.
    Most teachers were grateful for any help, even if the person had never been to their classroom, and other teachers rallied around you so you felt supported.
    Decent job and pay for having a college education but no teaching credentials

Cons

Not having any teaching background, especially with the autistic population, made it much harder to sub for classes where that was a reality. Most teaching assistance is needed for kindergarten classes or with autistic/behavioral issue kids.
    You never really knew what you were walking into some days if it was a new job...true for any substitute work, I suppose.

Advice to Management

It would be great if all instructional aides were given some kind of training - it would better equip us to assist the children.
    I guess with a school system there is a lot of other priorities, but I never had a supervisor or anyone that would give me any feedback on my performance.

4. "If you believe in innovation"

Current Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Milpitas USD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Milpitas has really stepped it up providing raises and better working conditions for the employees. It's very much of a "do what is right for the kids" environment. The technology support has been phenomenal. It's a full Google Apps environment and all the software is bought with flexibility of learning in mind. The technology is fantastic for kids as well as for the teachers. Our kindergarten kids all learn how to login with their userid and password and by the time they reach my classroom, they're all pros. All sites are 100% wireless and very reliable. Plenty of teacher support if you know where to ask but you have to ask. Students have benefitted from the online assessments and technology. I know my students have been accelerating. How do I know? Because now I have data to prove it!

Cons

It's a school district with a union structure but with the great PERS and STRS retirement perks that come with the union hassle. There will always be some naysayers and they too exist in small numbers in Milpitas Unified. Old union guard still has some "control" but the progressive teachers are too nice to say they disagree with the union. Frankly, we would do better without the current union leadership listening to a minority of the membership without ever taking a transparent polling of the membership of ideas and controversies.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in offering training and we (teachers) would like to know where this exciting ship is taking us. We would love additional teacher opportunities for growth other than going into administration. Keep on going with the innovation and thanks for getting rid of the folks who are clogs in the system and skewing perspectives to fit their agenda.

5. "Great colleagues, poor management"

Former Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Milpitas USD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students, and most of the faculty, are exceptional and make the job of teaching in MUSD a pleasure. Salary reasonable.

Cons

No interest in teacher development. Resources limited, particularly technological. Little/no support of new teachers, administration at some schools lie to you outright regarding your status.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology, and improve communication. Be honest with teachers as to where they stand. Actually READ letters responding to evaluations.

"Good opportunities in an excellent district."

Current Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Good benifits and salary package that is one of the most competitive in the bay area. Working with experienced teachers who have fantastic ideas about the students they are serving. The opportunity to work in as system that is focused on student growth and achievement while not being bogged down in title 1 regulations. The schools also work closely with the surrounding community that contributes to a growth of rescources and positive atmosphere.

Cons

Link between adminstration and teachers is not always there. It would be nice to have more opportunities for extended learning (i.e. workshops, conferences, and sharing of best practices related to teaching activities).

Advice to Management

Communicate more regularly regarding expectations for student achievement.

"Milpitas Unified School District - Solid Place to Work"

Current Employee - Teacher in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Meritocracy. Professionalism. Care and concern. Family atmosphere. Much collaboration. Good place for student and employee alike. Continuous improvement. Objective results attained year after year. Parents relatively involved. Some of the best students in the world. Highly talented teachers. Sound business practices. Relatively unscathed by business cuts. Moral and reliable school board. Decent, principled leaders. Relatively well supplied with materials. Plenty of opportunities for extra income.

Cons

Job itself tough. Many at-risk students. Pretty mediocre technology. Facilities mediocre as well. Employees - like elsewhere - must continue to do more with less. Pretty insular. Culture not as well attuned to outside world as should be.

Advice to Management

More focus on literacy and accountability and data analysis. Be less insular. Seek wise people and stop reinventing the wheel. Award results.