Miltope Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
John Jack Haley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Things are looking up."

I have been working at Miltope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

VT Miltope is a great place to work. A very family oriented place where people really care about each other. The CEO is one of the most approachable people in upper management and in my opinion will take this company to new heights.

Cons

Quality has been subpar in previous years which we has come back to bite us but I truly believe we are steadily improving.

Advice to Management

I would think it would be very beneficial to explain or show how our products are used in a real life setting and how they help the warfighter and commercial airline business. I think actually seeing the products in use, would give our employees a realization of how important quality really is. Pride in what you are doing will go a long way to delivering the quality product we stand for.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Hope Hull, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Hope Hull, AL

I have been working at Miltope full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

VT Miltope has a rich history with excellent industry name recognition in the specially computer design and manufacturing business. Leadership is proactive and responsive to customers, employee needs, with a vision of the future

Cons

Facing increasing market pressures because of technology driven changes and ever increasing global competition. As a smaller business, in the computer design and manufacturing industry, we have to continually monitor and respond to both price and availability to ensure our supply base provides us a competitive edge when competing in a global market, especially for COTS items...

Advice to Management

We must continue to stay the course and develop new and exciting products to meet customer expectations and beyond. Our focus is and will remain to be world class in all that we do by pursuing excellence on every task.

3. "Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hope Hull, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hope Hull, AL

Pros

A good working atmosphere without an overabundance of management mouth-breathers trying to tell you how to do your job. A friendly atmosphere with fairly pleasant working conditions.

Cons

Not much creative work required or allowed; my job was preparing and testing Windows installations for laptops. The requirements were fairly strict (as set by the customer), so leeway was slim.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do without trying to exert control for the sake of looking more important. Hiring and having competent people makes management easy, if you let them be competent and trust them to do their work.

Jan 19, 2017 – Corporate Communications

Thank you for your review. It is true that a lot of our work is heavily regulated, that comes from doing business in the sectors that we do.

As far as the people, I think we have some of the... More

"Company needs better work ethics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Letohatchee, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Letohatchee, AL

I worked at Miltope (More than 8 years)

Pros

They provide the 9/80 therefore you're off every other Friday and no weekends unless you volunteer.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism from upper management towards certain employees. There is also a lot of racism and they do not provide you the opportunity to move within the company. They never post open positions within the company and their workforce policy are unethical and seem to single out blacks within the company.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at self before starting to point fingers at others stop looking down on workers as if they are beneath you. Treat everyone as an equal and stop the RACISM. also quit putting people in upper positions who have no clue on how to manage people and always need their help to get by.

Dec 2, 2016 – Corporate Communications

It always hurts when I see reviews like these because I know they are not true; having worked for the company myself over the last 19 years. I have to say that there is always opportunity for... More

5. "Surprise"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

I worked at Miltope full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hours are great., people are OK to work with as long as you are part of the in crowd.

Cons

upper management is very confuse and lack the leadership to lead. This company is sure on its way down to closing doors.

Advice to Management

Step up and lead.

Jan 22, 2016 – Corporate Communications

We appreciate your posting and agree that VT Miltope's employees are some of the greatest people to work with and we would go farther to say that we all believe in the products and services produced... More

"Great company, great products, great future"

I have been working at Miltope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- The company has a lot of really dedicated people. They believe in the product and the good it does for the customer. I personally have a great boss, and great coworkers. I can sincerely say that I look forward to my work every morning.

- The medical and benefits are some of the best in Alabama.

- Just changed CEOs

Cons

-There have been some hurdles over the last few years because of how tightly the companies revenue is tied to military sales, but management is working on how to accommodate for those fluctuations. You can see that most recently in their change in stance on the commercial side of the house. They are putting a renewed emphasis on expanding that area of business into new markets.

- As with any company you have your cliques. This can be seen in the posts here with the military and civilian perspectives. I think it is sad, however, in some of the posts that people do not take others feelings into account. You should never post something hateful about an individual or group.

Advice to Management

- Diversify your market
    - Diversify your product mix
    - Remember that your employees are assets worth investing in
    - Listen to your employees. They are in the middle of the action and may have a different perspective that can help you in making good business decisions

Jan 22, 2016 – Corporate Communications

We thank you for your post and agree that our company is filled with talents, dedicated, and loyal workers. Without a workforce like the one we have we would not be able to produce the quality... More

7. "Assembly"

Former Employee - Assembler in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Assembler in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Miltope (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people great hours, nice pay, great environment.

Cons

Sometimes it was slow, but then that's ok ...

Advice to Management

Great people keep it up

"Upper management is destroying the company"

I have been working at Miltope full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nothing anymore. I get a check

Cons

All upper management is now all retired military. They know nothing about manufacturing. They have no idea what they are doing, but can't be told or even listen to anything. They don't care about quality, they just want the work out the door. They are shady to their employees and their customers. No one that works there believe anything they say. They cut works hours, yet hire several new program managers. For what? We don't have any work. They install new TV's in upper management offices but can't buy copy paper, Kimwipes, toilet paper, soap or paper towels.
    Word is, this group has been brought in to shut this company down or get rid of employees that have been here for awhile and make a decent living. And replace them with contract workers.
    With the management that is in place now, I will be surprise if this place is still here by the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Julie Briggs in no longer CEO. It is Jim Chambers and his cronies that are responsible for stinking this company. How the BOD keeps this man in place, amazes me.

"Great technology/DoD exposure, enjoyable coworkers on same level but horrible senior management"

Current Employee - Engineering Position in Hope Hull, AL
    Current Employee - Engineering Position in Hope Hull, AL

I have been working at Miltope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Good benefits but no short term disability policy
    -Design work (when allowed to) is challenging and enjoyable
    (seriously unable to think of any other "pros")

Cons

-High senior and middle management turnover, each group has made major goal changes causing confusion and conflicts
    -Extremely low employee moral, four layoffs within past few years and starting this week hours have been cut for hourly employees and 10% pay cut for salary employees even though three new business development employees with 6 digit salaries have been hired since the last layoff
    -Quality is sacrificed to meet schedule and generate revenue
    -Current management focus is to give design development and control to outside sources rather than utilize years of experience in house
    -ZERO training is approved for essential duties, only federally mandated and new ERP software training is given
    -Alabama location is BAD, in the middle of nowhere and closest town (Montgomery) is dangerous
    -Those that do majority of the work are bypassed for promotions/raises whereas those that are proven to slack off get them due to kissing up
    -Information is regarded as power therefore hoarded by management, what information is shared has been filtered or altered
    -Bad decisions made by management result in issues that are blamed on innocent employees so they can be used as scapegoats
    -New CEO has ZERO manufacturing experience
    (so many more but you get the point)

Advice to Management

-Actually LISTEN to employees doing to actual work and COMPREHEND what they're saying, many of them have more experience than YOU do
    -Change focus back to quality, revenue will never increase if quality keeps lacking
    -Actually follow through with the "open and honest communication" plan presented years ago
    -Spend the money to upgrade tools (computers, software, manufacturing tools) rather than hiring more non-essential, no revenue making (as you described, those not on the production floor do not make the company money) employees
    -STOP contracting out design and production, there are multiple instances in the recent past that has proven that does not work! The final cost is always more than the cost if those were done internally!!
    -Having the location in Montgomery, Alabama is bad enough, the condition of the building makes it worse.
    -Hire QUALIFIED and CAPABLE quality personnel to ensure material arriving is good instead of finding issues during or after assembly
    -Hold everyone EQUALLY accountable, from the bottom employee all the way to the most senior position in the company
    -Stop criticizing and targeting employees voicing discontent and change suggestions, everyone now feels it is a waste of time to try
    -TOO MANY CHEFS IN THE KITCHEN, NOT ENOUGH COOKS ON THE GRILL!!!
    -Stop making promises and NOT following through with them, multiple instances of this has happened to sway potential hires and it is being remembered (example: employee showers for those that like to exercise during lunch)

"Product Engineer"

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Miltope full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had a lot of freedom in choosing the course of development. Boulder had great engineering, Alabama had very good manufacturing and test capability.

Cons

Senior management is sorely missing. Personal infighting never ends. Financial strength of the company is very poor.

Advice to Management

Leverage the strengths of the two locations rather than contribute to hostilities.