Milwaukee Center for Independence Reviews | Glassdoor

Howard Garber

1. "Passionate!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Center for Independence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are passionate about the client's you work for, this is the place to be! MCFI has great benefits and is a great place to gain valuable experience no matter which field you work in.

Cons

MCFI could concentrate a little on work life balance for their staff.

2. "Finance"

Former Employee - Finance in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Finance in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Center for Independence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great programs & Great clients

Cons

micro management, poor office culture, short tenure of most employees, backstabbing, gossip, high turnover, & autocratic management

Advice to Management

Walk the walk instead of talking the talk.

3. "Very unorganized. No regard for people who have disabilities. Im on my way out."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Allis, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Allis, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Center for Independence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clients have always been great

Cons

No advancements, management is a joke/ need training. The same managers will be operating Whole Health Clinical Group. Run and dont put your loved ones there!

Advice to Management

Owner really needs to look into how management us running this place.

5. "Good Starter Job"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Center for Independence part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay, have not had any issues with getting checks or anything being mishandled

Cons

No raises after years of work

"RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

Current Employee - Administrative in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I work at the MCFI(New Health Services)I on 2020 West Wells .. I have enjoyed the work load because it keep you busy and you are allowed to work independently. The setting is really friendly with most co-workers , and you have steady traffic of clients and different training sessions taking place everyday. People are really helpful even those from other departments.

Cons

I really would never work here again because superiors are really snotty and rude. I have seen people who have been here for over 12 years and has yet to get a promotion. Like really who want to be stagnated for 12 years. My supervisor is not a people person and does not train well or communicate with her staff at all. Everyone seem miserable working under this supervisor. I heard that she had gotten her position only because she was friends with the last director. They pick and portray a lot of favoritism when placing people in higher positions . There is also a lot of gossiping that take place here at this location as well. Mainly because there is not an outlet for employees to grieve, I believe. This has been one of the most horrible experiences of my entire employment career.. Then they hide plenty of files from auditors. I had my own business for several years and wide range of education behind me, and I will never put myself in this position to be treated like crap again. It is a shame because MCFI is a wonderful asset to the community, but it can be the people in superior positions that makes it distasteful.

Advice to Management

Stop hididng files from auditors in front of your employees, Be kind to your employees and treat them as if they matter .

7. "Program Technician"

Current Employee - Program Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Program Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Center for Independence full-time

Pros

Positive staff and managers..Great place to work

Cons

A lot of smiles you can fall in love with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

8. "my job"

Current Employee - CNA in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Racine, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Center for Independence (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job because I'm able to help people who cannot help themselves I love trying to keep people independent in their own home

Cons

some of the families that you work with can be a real pain it is not the Client it is the family members of the Client there are the most were some

Advice to Management

it would be really nice if you could have words with some of the Client family members tell them to step back and let us do our job thanks in advance

9. "Wi"

Current Employee - Cna Pool in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cna Pool in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

You will train in different program areas and if you are a good worker you can get more hours

Cons

You only get booked if needed, this is a pool position, so you may be cancelled at any moment.

Advice to Management

Management is ok, but you have to communicate things more than once if you need hours or something done.

10. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The mission at MCFI is something that attracted me to the position. My coworkers and clients are amazing. I feel lucky to love what I do.

Cons

It is a non profit so pay is not competitive compared to other sectors. The agency is top heavy with VP's and directors for a non profit.

Advice to Management

Every department is different. But, maybe look at having less VP's and directors. It is disappointing to be part of a non profit that is so top heavy.

"I loved my job and the company...bureaucracy and total disregard for employee satisfaction drove me out"

Former Employee - Case Manager in West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Case Manager in West Allis, WI

Pros

Flexible shifts make it easy to take care of personal concerns such as doctors appointments. Clients are fantastic and so is the mission of the agency.

Cons

Program was county funded (contract) and they forced us to go over contract for our case load totals. If we refuse we probably would lose contracts and therefore shut down. Last year of employment all employees were on edge as people who had been there for over 15-20 years were being fired left and right. Required Continuing education credits but would not count actual schooling, ie masters program.

Advice to Management

Hire individuals who actually understand the clients and the amount of work we do...and pay out overtime. We all know we work 50+ hours a week in a Union hourly position, 100% illegal.