Milwaukee County Reviews | Glassdoor

Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
Chris Abele

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The current government and union (even if it is residual with the passing of Act 10) protect the steritypical lazy, listless government workers (in 3 reviews)

• No raise for 5 years is hard to justify when your net gain between wages and benefits is a negative gain (in 3 reviews)

"Plumber"

I worked at Milwaukee County full-time

Pros

Comp time, sick time , vacation, paid holidays

Cons

Micro managed, management has no knowledge of trades jobs, pay isn't that great anymore since act 10 received insulting raises or no raise at all,health insurance is not that great either

Advice to Management

Hire someone with some knowledge to f the trades

"Human Resources Generalist"

I worked at Milwaukee County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and there is management within certain departments at Milwaukee County that are truly trustworthy and honest.

Cons

Very political and racist place to work. Employees are not promoted based on performance. They are promoted based on how well they are liked and go along with the wrong that is done with other employees. Human Resources Staff are not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you want to be treated. Weed out untrustworthy character within the Human Resources Department so all employees can be treated fairly and have opportunities within the company as some of the other employees that go along with crookedness.

3. "Correction Officer"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Franklin, WI
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Franklin, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have SOME very hardworking co-workers that I would recommend for hire at any job if I was a supervisor. The county benefits (which have declined over the past few years) are still above average.

Cons

Facility Administration is unwilling to provide raises to employees which creates CONSTANT employee turnover and an unreasonable amount of overtime for current employees. Other county departments have received more than the one percent cost of living raise each county employee gets. This administration cares more about inmate programs (so they look good for county and state politicians) than staff members. There is a lot of favoritism in the facility. Some staff members in specialty areas have better vacation/off-day rotations that others which creates hostility. Supervisor positions are not based on a knowledge-based written test or merit, but simply with an interview with the Superintendent and how much he likes you. There is an Employee Retention committee that was established that is not allowed to discuss overtime or raises.

Advice to Management

If wages were higher, more quality candidates would apply and more than likely stay longer. Administration cannot keep up with the demand for more employees because of the wages and overtime. Administration never meets with staff to discuss issues.

4. "fleet mecanic"

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time

Pros

good benefits
    great vacations
    great comp time

Cons

no raise
    third shifts
    short breaks

"Unfortunately part of leadership team"

Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to learn and a diverse array of work. Retirees creat opportunities for new ideas when they are replaced.

Cons

This place has the worst leadership and for a sick culture throughout the organization. Individuals retire and reappear in another position. Double dipping. Many directors have either resigned or been let go. There is a department in which all directors have either retired, resigned or been let go. The cheese now stands alone. Is anyone noticing what's going on?

Advice to Management

Start over and pay attention to what is happening. How many leaders will you hire and then fire? Are the right hiring decisions being made. Is the County supporting its good leaders and making them want to stay? Political infighting makes it a negative environment to work in.

"Sr. Clerical Asst."

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time

Pros

Never a dull moment, depending on the department you work in. Job security. Good benefits.

Cons

Raises are far & few in between.

Advice to Management

Promot the people that truly deserve it & not because of certain protocol or who you know.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are very competitive and the best I've seen in the healthcare social services field. The compensation is also fair, based on other values.

Cons

Pension is taken out of paycheck, and decided by government which is both a pro and a con, depending on how you look at it.

Advice to Management

Better communication with and acknowledgment of the workers, and middle management would lead to a greater work morale.

8. "Positive Review"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, Pleasant atmosphere, Casual dress attire

Cons

downtown parking can be challenging

"Clerical"

Former Employee - Clerical in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Clerical in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. It's a joke...a very bad joke and sad place with miserable people and the fact that I will be blessed with another job.

Cons

Working for an elected official who is mentally and physically absent and doesn't care about career growth or motivating his/her employees. The political arena is petty, vindictive, toxic and disrespectful. Opportunities are limited and treated more like a thing than a human being. There is no consideration, human decency or respect. Some people who don't work hard get rewarded. There is definitely a glass ceiling for women and minorities in mid-paying level positions. Definitely deep-rooted good ole boy syndrome. Others are given favoritism while being unproductive. People are extremely petty, berating, immature, two faced and back stabbing. However, I have encountered some decent people, but unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure working with them directly. For years I had always wanted to work a County job. Now I feel like I made the biggest mistake of my life. Elected officials over seeing employees do not care about career growth and advancement. I always wanted a county job. Growing up all I ever heard was how great the benefits are, and how employees are treated with dignity and job security. That is not true.

Advice to Management

Invest and care about your employees and their career growth. Be present and let employees know how valuable they are

"The HR dept."

I have been working at Milwaukee County full-time

Pros

People
    The work can be challenging

Cons

There is no training plan. You are placed in the dept you will support and are expected to figure out there specific processes. There is no support from HR management when you are first learning, because they themselves have never done the job. If you make a mistake they criticize your actions and ask berate you management support is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Move on to another career.