Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Reviews | Glassdoor

Betsy Brenner

1. "Sad for the JS"

Former Employee - Journalist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Journalist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most amazing people and most talented journalists in the region, if not the country, will teach you so much and help you improve your own skills to an incredible degree. The news guild does a fantastic job of fighting for the rights of all employees and ensuring fair (if not exceptional!) pay for the location and industry as well as proper benefits. The journalism itself is exceptional as the JS has a huge investment in its investigative team and will do anything to win the coveted Pulitzer.

Cons

The poor place is going down in flames, and it doesn't seem like anybody will admit it. The only support goes to the investigative team and other reporters, but there are pretty much two designers or copy editors per night left to support those efforts. Soon the whole production team will be outsourced, and nobody who really cares about Milwaukee journalism will be left to help Milwaukee produce great journalism. I'm sad for interns who come in looking for mentorship but are instead expected to fill desks, then they end up with A1 stories not because anyone has helped them learn how to write an A1 story but rather because there were no other reporters available to cover the local news. I love the Journal Sentinel with all of my heart, but I feel the Journal Sentinel's heart has been misplaced, and their only goal is to win awards, when my goal as a journalist has always been to provide an invaluable service to the public.

Advice to Management

I wish the JS would show more support to employees other than the former Pulitzer finalists. Recognize that the common reader doesn't really care about awards, and they're really missing the great community service journalism that the paper used to put out. And you're obviously not winning awards as you cut every team besides reporters ... let's not blame the award-less years on non-exceptional journalism. Let's admit that it's because you haven't had the once-exceptional and devoted production team to produce that great content. I'll repeat what I said in the 'cons': I love the Journal Sentinel with all of my heart, but I feel the Journal Sentinel's heart has been misplaced, and their only goal is to win awards, when my goal as a journalist has always been to provide an invaluable service to the public.

2. "Journal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (More than a year)

Pros

its an easy job to learn. and you can get forklift training, use your knowledge you learn there to get a better paying job. it part time only. a good starter job.

Cons

you cannot get any promotions or become a full time worker. unorganized management

3. "Not a great learning experience as an Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (More than a year)

Pros

There was room for advancement

Cons

Not a great learning experience as an intern

Advice to Management

Continue to train interns.

5. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outside of a handful of nice people I met, I can't think of anything...honestly.

Cons

Had 5 different managers, except 2, others very inexperienced. Unprofessional, poor leaders, etc...
    demonstrated blatant favoritism, speaking behind employees backs...

Advice to Management

No sense wasting my time offering advice when there is no acknowledgement by the co., they are doing anything wrong.

6. "Great place"

I have been working at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time

Pros

Great brand in the market! Great team of people that care about what we bring to the community!

Cons

Nothing negative only tough business environment that is changing everyday.

7. "Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Designer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Designer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, fun, flexible work hours, decent-ish salary, nurturing culture, great place to work if you are a writer

Cons

Lack of women in higher positions, buyouts twice a year, lack of understanding about what designers do from people in higher positions, not many opportunities to advance one's career.

8. "interactive division"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers, lots of flexibility in terms of when you work and where you work. Not too many meetings. New ideas could be implemented quickly.

Cons

Culture of frequent layoffs/downsizings made for a nervous workplace. A lot of high quality people left because they didn't want to risk being out of work.

9. "Newsroom review"

Former Employee - Assistant Metro Editor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Metro Editor in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Healthy work environment, talented staff, freedom to experiment

Cons

Unclear yet whether recent merger will affect quality.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep investigative team. Retain as much talent as possible.

10. "Insurance"

Former Employee - Distribution Assistant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Distribution Assistant in Madison, WI

I worked at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy going, not a hard job to do.

Cons

Make sure you have the right insurance because they will not help you.

11. "MJS/Gannett/Scripps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and make it a great place to work. Up to date hardware and software. Average compensation.

Cons

People are unsure of what is going to happen next. Buy-out plagued, overworked remaining employees are unsure of the future of Journal. Horrible insurance.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Tell them the good and bad. Improvement in communication is key to success. Trim the fat in middle and upper level. The rest of us (the people who make the product) need to be inspired and thrive. Look back at what has made us great, original and revamp it. Bringing back the Green Sheet was just the start. A redesign of sections was a good idea. Improve sports statistics. That's why many people read the sports section.