MilwaukeeJobs.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Compensation is good, free lunch every Thursday, the people there are fun to work with - management just sucks (in 6 reviews)

• The training program is phenomenal and they continue to help me become a better (in 5 reviews)

1. "Awesome People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I begin? The people here are awesome. Everyone is so down to earth and friendly - easy to work with. They have a really good training program. I didn't feel "abandoned" when I first started here. Even people not in my department asked how I was doing or if I needed help. Once training was done, I still received mentoring which really helped just starting. They have nice benefits beyond the usual health, dental, vision plans: casual dress code, paid time off, free food each week, etc. I love how they have these fun company events. Last march, we participated in a basketball competition, so they rented this hoops shooting game. I could really go on.

Cons

So far so good - no complaints!

"Do Not Be Fooled"

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time

Pros

Excellent Location / Awesome Building / A Lot of Non Management People Are Great

Cons

Please avoid this place - take the negative reviews to heart. This business is sold as a progressive, downtown, .com employment opportunity. It is not. It is incredibly micro managed, there is almost no work flexibility (IE leaving 15 minutes early to get a kid) and some of the work you are asked to do is questionable at best. Seriously, not a good place.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and honest about what you are and what you expect in the interview process. And let people work, the micromanaging is an absolute killer of motivation.

"Good Stepping Stone Job"

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time

Pros

Pro: You will make friends. Con: The company hates that.
    Pro: You will learn a lot, so much so that you will be over qualified. Con: You will end up doing work for every other department and not get thanked for it.
    Pro: Your salary for an entry level job is really good. Con: You will not get a raise, and the longer you are there the more likely you will get fired/demoted for no reason.
    Pro: The company is a good business idea. Con: The company is managed so poorly and unprofessionally that it was sold, and we were given a 30 minute warning that the CEO was leaving. They also fired an entire department, realized those people actually did a job, then hired the same amount of people in said department again but this time without training because they got rid of everyone who knew how to do said job.
    Pro: The lower managers can be pretty cool. Con: Their managers are terrifying and will make your manager be not cool.
    Pro: You have reviews from all of the top leaders, not just your department's. Con: They will blame you for things that aren't even your responsibility because they don't actually know you and you will never get above 3/5.
    Pro: If you get married the company gets you a cake and a gift! Con: If they don't like you they will cancel that and not tell anybody. They will even tell your friends that nobody cared enough to donate or sign the card even though people did. I just want to say that that is really weird.
    Pro: There are tv's, usually with the news on. Con: It is only Fox news. I hope you like Fox news, because if you change it on the 11th floor it will always be changed back. At the same time they will suggest you not discuss politics in the office, because that is very fair. No contradictions there at all.
    Pro: Lots of office space. Con: Renting that second floor that is now half empty is a good sign of why the company was sold. That's just me speculating, but I do have to admit it is fun for playing bags.

Cons

There are definitely more cons, but I think the point was already made.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to be better human beings, or at least to understand others better so that they can stop ruining their own futures... but that is probably asking too much.

"Great Place to Grow Professionally"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s a very exciting time to work for MilwaukeeJobs.com. I can definitely attest to the enhanced management style, progressive technology and overall culture of change. If you are looking to jumpstart your career in sales or IT; I would highly recommend applying for a position with this company. The hiring process is seamless and you will feel valued from the moment you step off the elevator.

It’s unfortunate, that this company has received such negative reviews by previous employees. I have yet to experience any micromanaging, or unrealistic expectations. Employees have a voice here and upper management values our input.

Cons

Every corporation has opportunities for development. MilwaukeeJobs.com is growing rapidly and it may be beneficial to have more flexible hours/start times for the sales team, as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving and shaping the culture of the organization!

"Just adding to the "don't even think about working here" reviews"

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't worked here in many years, but wanted to add my two cents after seeing how many people have suffered here since my short 4 months when the company was just starting. The ONLY pro was that a lot of the people I worked with were great individuals. The owner of the company did at least have a knack for hiring great people; however, as you can see by the reviews, no one stays for long.

Cons

No reason to beat a dead horse...I agree with absolutely everything all the other negative reviews have said. The owner of the company is just simply not a good person. Besides all the things others have said, he's also a manipulative, power-hungry individual who enjoys making his employees feel small and dumb. Thankfully I didn't waste much time there; I moved on to a Fortune 500 company and have had an amazing and rewarding 13+ career since.

Advice to Management

If it isn't obvious by the other reviews, management doesn't care about feedback.

"Avoid, avoid, avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Decent bonuses
    Military-style management toughens you up
    Smart, capable folks all-around

Cons

I haven't worked here in years, but better late than never.

Nothing innovative or new has come out of this company since 2010. The website looks outdated and woefully off-trend juxtaposed next to their competitors. Their marketing efforts are thrown full-force at a radio program no one listens to. They sell expensive and unnecessary services to their clients, at the cost of job seekers for whom the website was created. They hired a sales recruiter to fill their cubicles...but have done little to improve the plight of workers occupying existing cubicles. In a word - yikes.

They micromanage you here and make no excuses for it. That's the de facto leadership style. If you can't handle it, then move on gracefully or wait to get fired. OR do as most have done and suffer miserably for years until your spirit is so badly broken you quit one day in a fit of pique.

Finally, the owner is a childish tyrant whom everyone tiptoes around despite his archaic business and management ideas. He has a public Twitter profile, on which he ridicules everyone from Aaron Rodgers to Donna Brazile, as if he could really do a much better job than they do. He'll call you out for no reason and criticize (publicly or privately) everything from your appearance to how you greeted him.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. You don't always need to be so buttoned up and police every aspect of your business. Most of your employees have moved onto green pastures and have thrived in environments where they're not told what to wear, say, where to eat, or how to correctly get ice from the ice machine. Relax a little and I guarantee your business will thrive.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only positive is that there is a base salary

Cons

I could write a book on the cons of this company. The whole company talks about growth and how they look forward to the future but lay-offs aren't uncommon and sales goals are rarely met. Each week there is a sales meeting where reps are vetted to see why they are losing their accounts. If you aren't thick skinned you won't make it past your first meeting. You will be told that you will make commissions but you need to make sales to get commissions. All calls are cold calls and 99% of those companies laugh in your face when you tell them the cost of the service. The other 1% says they already have used the product and it didn't create the results that a free service could provide. All the worth while companies that stick around are already under management of your co-workers. There is no work-life balance. You entire life outside work becomes prospecting. The prospecting lasts forever and won't end once you hit your '300 companies.'

Advice to Management

Create a 'term limit' on the amount of time a company can re-new with the same account rep.

"Frustrating company, but worth the learning experience"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for this company in it's infancy and right out of college. At the time it was great. Sales jobs and success are based on 2 things...relationship and numbers. If you have good relationships your chances of success are high. Conversely if you hit a certain number of calls, meetings, etc...your chances of success are also good. For me, at the time I had very little experience in building relationships, and would argue that doing so via telephone is a difficult task. Therefore, I thrived professionally in the atmosphere of quantity-driven activities. And when you're starting a sales job, you likely don't have relationships, so the numbers route is the way to go.

The money I made was better than I made in most of my jobs after I moved on. Even 6-7 years later. The experience I gained from the job helped propel me to success in other jobs and overall helped me fortify my "Sales is a numbers game" mantra. No matter what you're selling or how many relationships you have...in order to begin new one's you need a large number of prospects and activity to start with.

The contact management system was the best I've ever seen. The fact that the President of the company is an IT guru was instrumental in this. If you felt the system needed certain tweeks, etc. it was done usually within a week.

The people, at least when I worked there, were awesome. It was only maybe 15-20 employees at the time and was truly a family atmosphere. Even if the work and/or pressures to sell and be productive were stressful at times...we all celebrated successes together and complained, strategized, etc. together.

Cons

Extreme micromanagement is ultimately the reason I left. The level of which got to be counterproductive to my mindset and psyche. Here's a story.

The President came to my cube one Friday at about 4:30-4:45 and asked me if I had "a minute to join him in his office." Upon sitting down in his office he handed me a list of my call notes in which I connected and had a conversation with a prospect for that entire week. We then proceeded to go through each and every call note for note to dissect what I was thinking when I said whatever I typed in my notes. Almost every one his advice and feedback was the opposite of what I had said. Keep in mind, I was fairly successful in this position at the time.

90 minutes later we finished the discussion and I left the office. It was in the next few weeks that that particular meeting made me second guess everything I said on the phone to prospects. Ultimately it is what drove me to look elsewhere for employment. We were clearly "not a good fit" for one another.

After I left I kept in close contact with several friends who still worked there. Apparently the level of scrutiny and micromanagement became even more unbearable.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management because it would fall on deaf ears. I know this all to well.

"It is what it is"

Pros

In an effort to be more “Fair and Balanced” than the slanderous news channel the TV there seems to be stuck on, I will start by saying that this was not the worst job I’ve ever had. During my time here I have had the privilege of working with some of the most genuinely kind, hardworking and resilient individuals I have ever met. The company does do fun small events for various holidays/workplace outings, and the benefits offered (monetary and non) are nice. On paper this place appears to be a great place to work, not just because of the occasional artificial review written on this site, but because when you’re looking at the offer package they give you, you genuinely think “Hey, this looks pretty darn good”. Let me be perfectly clear; it’s a farce, a façade, a charade, a lie. A tragic one at that, especially when you come to the realization that the company you thought you could stay at for 10+ years has become toxic by year one.

Cons

You’ll notice there is a common theme in a lot of these reviews; micromanagement. They’re notorious for it, and it really doesn’t matter what department you’re in. Calculated management designed to fine tune and improve employee’s performances based on first hand observation of their style and outcomes is fine. Playing armchair quarterback without a firm understanding of what you employee does while evaluating employee’s performances leads to arbitrary evaluations that do nothing to improve the employee and often degrade morale. The sheer lack of trust that this company has that their employees will show up and do an honest 8 hours is staggering, and it manifests all the way down to making salaried employees spell out exactly what tasks they had done and how much time they spent doing it on their timecards.
    Another common issue is consistency, communication and a reasonable level of transparency. They’ll implement a plan to boost our sales output one day and then just as that plan is starting to take hold and we’re getting accustomed to it, they either switch it to something else or revert it back to the way it was. Couple this with sales reps not having direct lines and management constantly asking them to drop/unassign clients, it becomes quite a task for those taking calls from customers to find whom the calls should actually go. When you try to make suggestions to improve these circumstances you find what other reviewers have also said: Anything you say or do will fall on deaf ears if it doesn’t fit perfectly with their preconceived design.
    As I mentioned, this job was far from the worst one that I’ve had. It was the most disappointing though, as it could be so much more. You might consider working here if you know it’ll be a very short term fix and you need something on your resume. Otherwise I’d avoid it entirely.

Advice to Management

You got a shout out from Brett Favre for wearing his jersey around the office?
    Cool story bro.

"All the bad things you read about this place are true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at MilwaukeeJobs.com (More than a year)

Pros

First things first, if you are in the Compliance department you should be very careful. One day the owner woke up and decided he wanted to eliminate several team members - they went from 8 people in the department down to 1. Your management in that department will not be able to help you because they do not know how to do the day to day process and constantly mess up accounts whenever they try to help (which is pretty seldom - usually management is shopping online for shoes).

There are a few good things: pay and benefits seem decent. The work area is clean and new. Sometimes they do fun events or company potlucks.

Cons

All of the bad things you read on here about this place are true. People are not making this stuff up, we are just telling the story that we live/lived while employed here. You should also be aware that all of the positive reviews are written by management in order to up the overall rating on Glassdoor.

Management writing fake reviews on Glassdoor is a great example of how they operate as a business. They constantly tell you how lucky you are to work for them, and how great the company is, when in fact, the company and it’s products are mediocre at best. We constantly had customers complain about the products not working correctly, yet the President would completely ignore the issues (he was well aware) and instead spend his time reading Glassdoor reviews.

There is a motto that employees have here: "Quantity over quality". It's true for every department, not just sales. There is no consideration or effort to improve the quality of the products or company culture, but if you can churn out numbers then that looks great to management. This was definitely the most fun job I ever had but only because of my coworkers. If you are a new hire here I urge you to consider why they are paying to have 2 empty floors. Micro management is also a very common theme - if you work here I guarantee every month (or more if you're in sales) you will get an email from upper management telling you when you are allowed to get up from your desk to get water, how to use the ice machine, and where to eat your lunch.

Advice to Management

Another reviewer said it perfectly, I have no advice to management as it would fall on deaf ears. My review is not feedback for you to improve, but a truthful and genuine glimpse for people who are considering working here.