Mind Over Machines Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Loveland

1. "Growing company and a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

I've been with Mind Over Machines for five years now. In my 30+ years in IT I've worked exclusively for very large companies until coming to MOM in 2010. I like that it's large enough to provide many opportunities and yet small enough for you to feel like you're part of something. The management has been very flexible both with my career goals and work life. Being constantly exposed to new technologies and technology enthusiasts has help keep me fresh in my career. The suburban location of MOM HQ in Owings Mills is also a plus. Easy to get around with few hassles.

Cons

The consulting life in general provides a few challenges, in that you're always somewhat of an outsider in the client's organization. It's also a plus in that you get to support large organizations without getting caught up in their politics.

Advice to Management

Occasionally, it might be a good idea to rotate consultants between clients when they've supported one particular client for a long time.

"Great culture and environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Mind Over Machines (More than a year)

Pros

-Cool office, building, and view
    -Friendly people
    -Variety of projects
    -CEO is friendly and someone you can talk to

Cons

-Microsoft-based tech stacks for most projects
    -Consulting work so you're not always in the Owings Mills office depending on what project you're on
    -Stale tech stack for the client where I was placed (ColdFusion, Struts 1, etc.)

Advice to Management

-Always be open to change and be conscious of new emerging technologies to be ready for the future
    -Expand upon certification bonuses available even if they aren't for a current specific project that you have

"Awesome Place to Work with great people, developing great projects with newer technology"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mind Over Machines is composed of smart, dedicated people that want to see every employee succeed, which in turn helps the company succeed. If any questions should arise, all teammates will answer them quickly and honestly.The projects are interesting and very innovative.

Upper management is always willing to listen to employees and want feedback about what is working within the company. In addition, they also want to know what can we change, and what can be work on to make the company a fantastic place to work.The CEO, Tom Loveland, is fantastic, caring, and wants his employees to feel valued.

I have been in the business for over 10 years and this is one of the best technology companies I have ever worked for.

Cons

Honestly I haven't found anything negative yet. Management bends over backwards to keep you happy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

"Great Development Environment"

Current Employee - Developer in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the type of work environment I had hoped to be in when considering a career as a web developer. The other employees are interested in their work and new technologies. Management is interested in seeing their employees progress. I learned a lot. The location is great. The facilities are nice. Great work-life balance.

Cons

I had a very good experience with my time at Mind Over Machines and I am a better developer for it.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer your employees opportunities based on their interests and experience outside of their current position.

6. "Forward thinking energetic exciting work place"

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

Invests in employees
    Willing to try new things
    Interesting projects
    Great work life balance
    Long history
    Willing to fail and evolve to move on
    Constantly trying to improve

Cons

The entrepreneurial spirit requires one to be very self-starting.
    Those wishing only to be cogs may find their jobs are not so narrowly defined.
    The diversity of projects requires constant learning of new technologies and methodologies

"Big head laden with small mind"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

good location
    good office facilities
    flexibility regarding personal matters
    occasional interesting project

Cons

The headline summarizes it - bloated management layer with narrow vision. Makes one wonder if there's anyone among the management whose interests extend beyond their own advantage. Lack of respect and lack of competent leadership provides for the environment that is often insulting to a professional. They will spend hours preaching the semantics of words such as value and quality, but in the end they will suppress any initiative from within that would suggest improvement thereof, as if threatened by it.

Advice to Management

Take a long thorough look at where the company is headed and start relying on decisions of those whom you hire to do the job. If you can't tolerate the initiative from people who knows how to do things right, then junior personnel is the only material that you can work with, but for that you don't have anyone to lead them in the right direction.

"Management heavy (handed)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

As work place this company has a very diverse team and can have some potentially interesting projects. The energy of the workplace can at time be exhilarating.

Cons

The ratio employees managers is rather low, making it very top heavy company. Some managers display no respect whatsoever towards their employees and place their own personal gain before the company's. The company's energy comes mostly from the hard work of the employees but creativity is not encouraged leading to many senior employees leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Listen your employees: they are the ones actually doing the work and more often than not have wonderful ideas that could increase your customer base.

9. "User Experience Researcher"

I worked at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

Smart people, Great benefits! I wish Everyone approached work this way

Cons

Not many. It was a lovely bunch of people

Advice to Management

You guys were thoughtful compassionate and a pleasure to work with

"Needs to improve"

I worked at Mind Over Machines (More than a year)

Pros

Small company so you will expect more flexibility

Cons

Revenue is too tightly coupled to one client

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Stay Away"

I worked at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

You can get good work experience here if you're in the right department.

Cons

They don't practice what they preach- they brag about having a great work/life balance placing their trust in employees so they don't micromanage. But it's the exact opposite.

Some of the people on the leadership team are not trustworthy and malicious. They will go behind each other's backs when they want something and don't stop until they get it.

Compensation and benefits don't even compare to other companies in this industry.

They're only focused how they can cut costs, not growing the company, so employees are constantly laid off.

Absolutely no job security. Tenure doesn't matter. Neither does your contribution to the company.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like cost centers. Instead, focus on company growth and start investing in your employees.