Mind Over Machines Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Tom Loveland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Genuine employer where employees matter as much as clients"

Current Employee - Consultant in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Consultant in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been at Mind Over Machines (MOM) for the last two years and I am grateful to work for a company that measures success by its employees’ well-being and growth. I started as an intern who career changed from teaching middle school; MOM believed my teacher background would be an asset in consulting and my lacking technical ability could grow from mentorship. The fact a career-changing intern could come on the team full-time is a testament to the company’s encouragement of professional growth, creativity, and collaboration.

I’m surrounded by seasoned and novice developers, architects and sales personal who are willing to aid me on any task and vice-versa. I’m a fairly outgoing individual and it’s nice to work in an office where peers socialize and there’s a sense of comradery. The HR team makes an effort to not only hire on technical ability, but general disposition and likability.

Cons

The nature of consulting does not lend itself to coasting on the familiarity of one tech stack and working alone. I do have to take occasional personal time to expand my knowledge or learn a new stack. Fortunately, MOM offers bonuses for completing certificates and pays for learning materials. On occasion the the work week requires more than 40 hours if there's a large deployment or some tech issue that needs immediate resolution.

Advice to Management

Improve the processes for how supplies are distributed. It was unclear when I was hired how to obtain the latest version of Visual Studio or a license for Windows 10. Furthermore, we need more personnel with admin privileges to source control. Those that have it are usually off site. I’ll make sure the admin here read this comment so the next review debunks it. There could also be healthier options in the snack room (They did start purchasing fruit a month ago though :)

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Great feedback. Love your attitude of ownership, sharing suggestions internally with teammates who can make the change you wish to see. Thank you!

"Not Terrible"

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

I would recommend working at MOM to anyone with direct agency experience who likes that kind of work, and is a fast worker. The hours *may be* flexible depending on the contract. If you work in the office, the break room is stocked with snacks for those days when you can't take a break. There's a 'Leisure Conference' that they pay for everyone and 1 guest to spend one night in a resort.

Cons

I can't be as harsh as some of the reviews on here, although I agree with the weaknesses pointed out. It'a an agency, so you gotta' know what you're getting into. Agencies make money by hiring large numbers of low paid fresh outs and charging an arm and leg for their work. They win contracts by undercutting the competition for the same work. This is normal.

I see the real issues being:

1) No support for maintaining certifications. This one is a real sore spot for me. They can pay for a company-wide leisure conference but not to set aside money for getting or maintaining certifications that they can market to customers? Wow! If you have to pay out of pocket to maintain your own certification, some certs are very expensive. So, it makes me feel like I'm paying to work for them. Hmm. Oh, yeah I get a bonus for getting a certification (which I paid for) but then what?

2) Complacent attitude toward providing accurate, predictable estimates and sticking to a budget. They provide a customer with an estimate for the work, but how many times have I heard, 'well it's time and materials, so who cares? We know our estimates aren't accurate.' Along the same lines, the estimates never account for infrastructure work, like setting up a new repository, so we eat that time.

3) Little to no process. Every project has a different process for tracking and delivering the work, and there is a fear of bringing in any real process. This makes on-boarding new staff difficult, makes estimating work difficult, raises stress among team members, and frustrates clients trying to get clear answers.

4) Everyone is expected to report 100% billable time. Hallway conversations provide 2 very important benefits: building a sense of camaraderie that will get you through the tough times and relaying insider information that you otherwise wouldn't get. But which client do you bill that time to? It makes you feel guilty about having any off-topic conversation.

Advice to Management

1) Pay for certifications. Plan for certifications. What's $2000-3000 a year for CEUs that help your employees be better at their jobs, bring higher billing rates, and give more employee satisfaction?

2) Figure out a way to provide better estimates to customers. Build in time for process, management, and figuring stuff out. Having a track record of missing estimates or pressuring staff to work on their own time to make up for poor estimates is not a great reputation to have.

3) Develop and enforce process. This is just good for everyone. If management doesn't have time to do this, then maybe they should hire an agency to do it for them.

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

There is much to respond to here! * Mind Over Machines is not an agency. * Most of our team is senior; average tenure is 9+ years. * We actively tell prospects we are not the cheapest firm, and often... More

"Supportive Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Old Forge, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Old Forge, NY

I worked at Mind Over Machines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mind Over Machines is dedicated to quality solutions and understand that supporting the staff is key to that goal. They also keep communication and relationships between employees healthy!

Cons

For me, it was working as an onsite consultant so it took some time to get to know people.

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Thank you for your kind words. Best wishes on your new chapter!

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Mind Over Machines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free snacks when they are available

Cons

No reviews, no management and overloaded with work. It is a real sweatshop in there. A true boiler room operation. Mistrust is the key to how this place runs and does business on a daily basis. Watch your back if you want to take a job here.

Advice to Management

There is management?

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Hmm. The reviewer claims, "It is a real sweatshop in there." Yet he/she stayed with the company more than 5 years. It seems unlikely that both A and B are true.

"Needs to improve"

I worked at Mind Over Machines (More than a year)

Pros

Small company so you will expect more flexibility

Cons

Revenue is too tightly coupled to one client

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Mind Over Machines has enjoyed a healthy client portfolio for years. Currently, our largest client represents approximately 15% of total annual revenue, with dozens of clients making up the balance... More

"User Experience Researcher"

I worked at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

Smart people, Great benefits! I wish Everyone approached work this way

Cons

Not many. It was a lovely bunch of people

Advice to Management

You guys were thoughtful compassionate and a pleasure to work with

Aww, we're blushing!

"Stay Away"

I worked at Mind Over Machines full-time

Pros

You can get good work experience here if you're in the right department.

Cons

They don't practice what they preach- they brag about having a great work/life balance placing their trust in employees so they don't micromanage. But it's the exact opposite.

Some of the people on the leadership team are not trustworthy and malicious. They will go behind each other's backs when they want something and don't stop until they get it.

Compensation and benefits don't even compare to other companies in this industry.

They're only focused how they can cut costs, not growing the company, so employees are constantly laid off.

Absolutely no job security. Tenure doesn't matter. Neither does your contribution to the company.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like cost centers. Instead, focus on company growth and start investing in your employees.

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Wow, we wouldn't want to work here, either, if any of this was remotely accurate. Fortunately, none of it is. But don't take our word for it! Feel free to connect directly with any MOM employee to... More

"Great company for career growth"

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

Pros

MOM offers a ton of benefits around expanding your skills with Microsoft certifications, Pluralsight subscriptions, and yearly hack-a-thons. Its smart of them, because the more you learn, the more valuable you are for the company. MOM has a very family feel which goes a long way in this industry. They also have an internal Yammer for talking with others in the company.

Cons

Being a part of an embedded team can sometimes feel a little lonely. Work sponsored happy hours occur but could be more frequent. Consulting can be very rewarding, but sometimes the client’s internal drama distracts from the overall product.

Advice to Management

Yearly reviews should be more formal.

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Glad you enjoyed the learning and camaraderie. These days, we're actively encouraging more hoteling at MOM HQ for our embedded teams, to keep the connection, collaboration and co-learning alive... More

"Growing company and a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Owings Mills, MD

Pros

I've been with Mind Over Machines for five years now. In my 30+ years in IT I've worked exclusively for very large companies until coming to MOM in 2010. I like that it's large enough to provide many opportunities and yet small enough for you to feel like you're part of something. The management has been very flexible both with my career goals and work life. Being constantly exposed to new technologies and technology enthusiasts has help keep me fresh in my career. The suburban location of MOM HQ in Owings Mills is also a plus. Easy to get around with few hassles.

Cons

The consulting life in general provides a few challenges, in that you're always somewhat of an outsider in the client's organization. It's also a plus in that you get to support large organizations without getting caught up in their politics.

Advice to Management

Occasionally, it might be a good idea to rotate consultants between clients when they've supported one particular client for a long time.

Nov 22, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

You're right. Rotation is good. As you know, some MINDs support shorter-term engagements, sometimes even multiple or overlapping. Other MINDs support longer-term engagements, even for years. If folks... More

"Great culture and environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Mind Over Machines (More than a year)

Pros

-Cool office, building, and view
    -Friendly people
    -Variety of projects
    -CEO is friendly and someone you can talk to

Cons

-Microsoft-based tech stacks for most projects
    -Consulting work so you're not always in the Owings Mills office depending on what project you're on
    -Stale tech stack for the client where I was placed (ColdFusion, Struts 1, etc.)

Advice to Management

-Always be open to change and be conscious of new emerging technologies to be ready for the future
    -Expand upon certification bonuses available even if they aren't for a current specific project that you have

Nov 21, 2017 – MOM Leadership Team

Thank you for the suggestions. We’re doing both. And if you follow us, you’ll see even more emerging tech news soon. Hope you’re finding good learning and challenge wherever you are now. All the... More