KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MindGym

Engaged Employer

MindGym

Add a Review

MindGym Employee Reviews about "mind gym"

Updated Dec 3, 2021

Found 38 of over 131 reviews

3.3
MindGym CEO Octavius Black (no image)
Octavius Black
Pros
  • "You can also take some of the Mind Gym courses to learn(in 31 reviews)

• "While the environment is very fast paced it isn't internally competitive(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No training outside of Mind Gym courses(in 16 reviews)

• "The company is a high pressure work environment(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "mind gym"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company with fantastic people

Nov 19, 2021 - Solutions in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of things to love about Mind gym: - Thoughtful, creative people who work very, very hard - A strong, growth-focused culture that asks people to stretch themselves (sometimes out of necessity) - A great psychology-based product that differentiates itself from competitors - Amazing brand with strong brand loyalty from clients

Cons

- Fast-paced and under-resourced - Career progression can be informal and subjective at times - Salaries aren't competitive with external roles - Processes can pivot between tedious and non-existent

CEO

I completely agree that MindGym is full of thoughtful, creative people who are deeply committed and work hard. I find our colleagues a constant source of energy and enlightenment. I also agree that we need to get the balance right on process and we're not there yet. We have made some organisational changes recently to put Ops at the centre of the business reporting directly into our new CFO and I hope that will make a difference.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Horrible Place to work. Burnout is praised, and DEI is non-existant

Oct 19, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

I wish I took the time to read the Glassdoor reviews before starting at this company. I was experiencing bullying, harassment, micro management, and being belittled all at the same time. HR is not helpful and they basically turn a blind eye to employees in need, and sides with management to engage is harmful bullying. MindGym is a poor excuse for a company that provides any form of training to companies who trust Mind Gym with their money. The amount of bullying that takes place here leaves me in pure shock. I left meetings feeling belittled and when I express concern regarding my mental health I was told to "take a deep breath" and this would allow me to feel better. Additionally, this is a company that does not prioritize diversity. You only thrive here if you are white and British. This company is full of unqualified white women who do not understand DEI, allyship, or have a basic understanding of navigating the workplace. The amount of excessive use of AAVE is unsettling, being referred to as "Sis, and Queen" on a daily basis is not something that my white counterparts do not have to experience and think this is the best way to connect with the only person of color on their team. Finally, there is no professional growth at Mind Gym. The only way a promotion is possible is if your manager is your best friend and pushes you up the ladder. It is a horrible establishment. From the gaslighting CEO to the unqualified Senior Project Managers in addition to the CORRUPT sales people. I would NEVER recommend Mind Gym as a place for anyone to invest time or money.

17 people found this review helpful

MindGym Response

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience at Mind Gym, and I am truly disappointed you did not directly experience our efforts to improve the work environment in the Americas. As the leader of this division, I was not aware but take responsibility for your experience. Even more important, please know that bullying and harassment has always been unacceptable in our culture, and I hope you are willing to reach out to me directly to share more about your experiences so we can address those concerns immediately. We’ve recently increased the diversity in our leadership ranks and board as well as implemented several operational improvements to improve tactical ways of working, but we acknowledge there is more work to be done at every level of the organization. We are committed to listening and understanding how we can further prioritize our focus to make things better. This is something I’d like to work on together in the most transparent way, accepting what’s not working and committing to making continuous and meaningful progress. I hope you are willing to help me make improvements that will benefit everyone, I am absolutely willing to listen and learn. Posted on behalf of Wei-Li Chong

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Employees are consistently undervalued and turnover is high.

Jul 26, 2021 - Client Services Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Employees (individual contributors and line managers) are brilliant, hardworking, genuinely caring, supportive people who are are just overall amazing to work with! Have made some life long friends and network connections because of the people who Mind Gym hires. -Products / services Mind Gym offers to clients are special and fascinating (especially if you like psychology, behavioral science, diversity & inclusion, etc.) and can really make an impact on the organizations they partner with. -Vacation time is competitive. Other benefits are average. -Nice big new office if you're in NYC. -US leaders acknowledge and are transparent about problems within the organization.

Cons

-Employees are extremely overworked and underpaid. If you do your research, any of its competitors will pay more than Mind Gym. Mind Gym also doesn't do merit or yearly based increases and officially only does increases for promotions (for which the salaries aren't even negotiable). They say they do cost of living increases but never saw this during my 3-year tenure while living in NYC (one of the most expensive cities in the US). Generally, people feel burned out and undervalued working here. -Global Senior Leaders (in particular the cofounders Octavius Black and Seb Bailey) seem completely out of touch with the US business and the US employee needs. When they speak on global company wide calls they come across as disingenuous and quite frankly full of it. They're great idea guys but don't seem to have great business acumen. -The portfolio is huge, making it difficult to maintain and ensure quality. Many things are introduced only to be immediately tabled because it doesn't actually work in practice. This makes it very difficult on employees and creates a poor experience for clients. Some are great, creative ideas but very little long-term thinking or strategy goes into them. Mind Gym is always onto the next shiny new thing with little follow through for the projects / ideas that came before. -Operations are a complete mess, making it very difficult to collaborate cross functionally (which is critical to the success of the business). The hardest part about working at Mind Gym was Mind Gym itself. The company literally makes it harder for you to do your job and therefore be successful. -There is a lack of focus at Mind Gym and very little thought / direction for the future. Most recently, there has been a major emphasis on a new business / team who focuses on Digital offerings. While this function is extremely important for the future of the business, Mind Gym has depriorized its core business (which is essentially funding digital), making employees who work for it (which is the majority of Mind Gym) feel undervalued and unrecognized. It also means that highly necessary improvements needed to be made to the core business are either not happening or not happening quickly enough. -Though leaders are aware of the problems at Mind Gym and are transparent with employees that these systematic issues need to be fixed, I had seen very little improvement during my time there while the same issues continued to pop up over and over again. History repeats itself at Mind Gym and lessons are never learned. -Company does not practice what it preaches. Though Mind Gym is in the business of helping other organizations improve in some way, shape or form, the company doesn't walk the walk nor does it lead by example for clients.

13 people found this review helpful

MindGym Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and thank you for all your hard work and commitment you put into MindGym over the past three years. In many ways, we are excited about the growth of the business and the challenges we are solving for clients around the globe. Having said that, we recognize our growth is causing strain on our systems, many of which were set up years ago. We’ve been working hard to improve many of the areas you’ve pointed out. Specifically in Americas, we have invested in a leadership team with experience in areas that better balance our overall capability. We’ve also invested heavily in operations, launching new teams and systems to help us work more efficiently and collaboratively. We are now engaging in a review of our talent practices to ensure we are developing, engaging, rewarding and recognizing our employees in a better way. While we are extremely proud of our organization’s heritage and the people who bring to life our points of view in a way that inspires change, we do recognize the need to evolve the way we work. I appreciate these changes may not be happening as fast as some would like and only wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great potential but misaligned focus/expectations

Apr 30, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People! Some of the smartest and most well-rounded individuals I've worked with in my entire career. - Culture. The firm has built a decent culture with nice perks and social events. - Meaningful work and the impact it has on people in a positive manner. - Learning. I was here for ~1.5 years and was stretched in many ways and learned a lot. You can also take some of the Mind Gym courses to learn.

Cons

- Capacity and getting every ounce out of employees. There is a big push to give Project Managers volume and more projects without realizing how much effort each project takes and the impact it has. - Constant focus and push on revenue recognition. Management was strict about this and so much time spent on: how do we convince the customer to sign-off on this work product? Revenue is important but it felt sleezy the work it was discussed and pushed internally. - Lack of work-life and flexability; it's a strict 9 AM to 6 PM and WFH is frowned upon. Preference is everyone is in the office so can constantly be watched and be micromanaged to some extent. - Very high-pace, and at times, stressful work environment. The average employee tenure is around 1-1.50 years and I observed a lot of turnaround at the firm (and since I've left). - Internal inter-department tension: Delivery focus was revenue recognition while other groups wanted to work on deliverables at their own pace, so there is constant clash between Project Managers, designers and solution archtitects. - Comp is horrible. There is no annual bonus or annual raise (which I learned after the fact). The firm doesn't even take into account inflation and that's not acceptable.

10 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Meaningful Work

Oct 17, 2019 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

-People who work at Mind Gym are genuine, intelligent, and hard working individuals -The company mission is rewarding, all MG teams work collaboratively to impact and change the lives of individuals in the workplace - for the better - A culture built on trust, most are given high levels of autonomy within their roles - While the environment is very fast paced it isn't internally competitive. Your coworkers will lift you up and are always willing to lend a helping hand - Strong leaders at the management level attribute towards a healthy and mature working environment - An environment full of top performers- surround yourself with individuals who have the drive, ambition, and initiative to succeed

Cons

- The company has its growing pains - a mid size company that wants to grow rapidly but sometimes feels stuck within old habits - US priorities can be given more attention, to avoid a feeling of disconnect from the UK

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Unfortunate Leadership Team

Sep 20, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The employees are nice and friendly.

Cons

The leadership team is what makes Mind Gym a bad place to work. The Board Chair Woman, mainly. She prevents the CEO and other execs from having any real impact on the business, and everyone is afraid of her. The rules are also very childish. If you don't get to work at 9am, you get spoken to. If you leave early, someone is taking note of it. Employees are not treated like adults, they are treated like children. Leadership team makes false promises, and most people leave the company without another job lined up because the environment is too toxic to stay in. CEO, CFO, CCO, CCO, COO and President are really nice people and care about company. Board Chair ruins the culture completely. and HR team are not trustworthy - anything you tell them, they will gossip about you to other people.

20 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Client Services Employee

Jun 22, 2017 - Client Services Associate Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mind Gym is, by far, one of the most unique and fascinating places I have come across in my professional career. Coming from a traditional, buttoned up financial services firm, this company was a breath of fresh air. The work that we do, the people that I have the pleasure to interact with, and the opportunities I have had to grow have all been tremendous. I have met some of my closest friends in the last year working at Mind Gym, something I was not confident I would ever find in my professional life. I could speak volumes about the culture - each person here brings a special something that contributes to the buzzing vibe of the NYC office. Not to mention everyone is enthusiastic, committed, and proud of the work they do. Senior leadership is also very approachable. In my one year at Mind Gym I have presented to our Chief Commercial Officer and Chief Operating Officer and been able to speak candidly with our Chief Creative Officer about my career development. Hard work is praised and constructive feedback is delivered in a way that motivates you to grow.

Cons

There can be an incredibly high volume of work during peak periods of business. As the company is in a hyper-growth mode, everyone sometimes has too much on their plate. That being said, there is a strong bond between all members of the Client Services team, so you never feel as if you are struggling alone or do not have resources for help.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

I am delighted this is how you feel about working at Mind Gym. We are unique and our culture is distinctive. This won't be right for everyone (and I'm ok with that). More importantly it is clearly is right for you and so, probably, for other people who have similar passion, individuality and appetite to keep on learning. Very pleased you're part of our team. Please keep us honest and let me/any of the leadership team know if you think we're losing what makes us special.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company - Truly enjoy my job

Jan 18, 2017 - Client Services Coordinator (Client Services Associate) in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of my favorite things about being at Mind Gym is that everyone is smart and enjoys their day to day tasks. There has not been a day that has gone by that I didn't learn something new. In the New York office there are around 50 people, which I think is a great number. Having visibility to all of upper management is also great - sometimes I grab coffee in the kitchen at the same time as the President of the company! I also love that day to day I am working with some very well known companies and definitely making a difference in the lives of real people.

Cons

Some times it is difficult to get to know every person in the office, due to everyone working hard on various projects.

CEO

Thanks for making the time to comment. A new colleague of ours told me that one of the three reasons he chose to join Mind Gym were because of comments like yours on Glassdoor. I'm delighted you're enjoying it here and that, like me, you feel your making a difference to the lives of real people. It's a great reason to come to work. Perhaps the best. Hope we get to have a coffee next time I'm in NY.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Everything is green, and I like it.

Dec 3, 2015 - Solutions Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Mind Gym a little over three months. It's refreshing. You are given plenty of autonomy and you manage your own time, they trust you. There are always exciting projects to be working on, so if you are into doing the same exact thing every day, this job is not for you. Mind Gym is creative and encourages you to think outside the box, which is what I love. At the end of the day, you are making a difference in someone’s life- it's rewarding. Oh, and we have massage Fridays.

Cons

You have to learn how to deal with ambiguity and run with it. Some people might be uncomfortable with that, but I have learned to enjoy it. You get to set the direction.

CEO

I'm delighted to hear that you feel like this 3 months in, which is often the hardest moment as people come to terms with so much new content. As you say, the freedom and ambiguity that goes with being at Mind Gym doesn't suit everyone but I'm very glad it's working for you. Most important for me is the fact that we are helping hundreds of thousands of people use their minds more effectively so they can get more out of life and give more to others. Sounds like we're aligned on this too. Big welcome and please let me know what you think we could do better.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Dream Company

Aug 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Mind Gym is, in many ways, like a dream company. It runs the kind of way a perfectly run company that cares about its employees would run. The managers truly care about their employees and much time and effort is invested into training. They practice what they preach.

Cons

While the company itself is great, not all positions are equal. The work that the solutions team does is much different than the work of the sales team. Just because a company is great doesn't mean the position you're in is great. Try hard as you want to make a position the best that it can be, work you find boring is going to be boring no matter where you're doing it. That's reality.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

I'm delighted you think that Mind Gym is in many ways a dream company and I totally take your point that there is work that is always going to seem boring to you (or me). We've designed the business so people can take on roles that suit them. Unlike a traditional consultancy, where the same person can be responsible for selling, account mangement, designing the solution and delivering it, we have separate teams for each of these responsibilities. That way we hope people will join a time that allows them to spend all the time doing somethhing they enjoy and are good at.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews