KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Product Analyst

Nov 29, 2021 - Product Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community. Lots of growth opportunities. Fun product to work on. Diverse teams.

Cons

Executive communication is not always clear. Got acquired and lost the community feeling. No 401k match.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Employee

Feb 10, 2022 - Full - Time Employees
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great vibe, free snack and coffee

Cons

The company underpaid the employees.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Final Assessment on MindTouch

May 16, 2021 - Director of Products in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you were talented, had a propensity to act and take risks, and were ambitious, you could grow your career. The downside of that (this is a con), is that the ceiling was quite abrupt as new ideas, opportunities, new teams were often hindered by lack of investment - it's not obvious how institutional capital was spent. Though not in MindTouch's favor, many of us used the elevated responsibilities we were given to gain positions in better-funded organizations. Therefore, MindTouch was a good career-builder. The founding CEO and his partner CTO were both very talented (more on the downside of the dynamic in the cons section). The founding CEO was an incredible advocate for the company and knew how to keep MindTouch relevant and in the conversation. The CTO is a genius, though I would have liked to see more engagement with the rest of the business or the analyst community. They both inspired me. Some of the most talented people I've ever met have come through this company. On the product and engineering side, you can now find them in senior roles at FAANG companies or in unicorn growth startups (some are still at MindTouch). From my understanding, the company was acquired primarily for its product and technology (and likely the potential it had with better investment). Though not as transformational to the industry as we would have liked (more in the cons), obviously some of us were able to contribute to something of measurable value.

Cons

MindTouch was acquired by NICE inContact during a downturn. It goes without saying that's not when you want to be having that conversation. The two fundamental things that were MindTouch's downfall were problems of timing and lack of urgency. - The north star was difficult to understand, and at some times, not there: There were years when it was apparent to most of us that the founders did not see eye to eye. We lost a lot of time during those periods, not focused on what could help us break out in the market. In the end, MindTouch was decent enough in a lot of different ways but didn't excel in any majorly impactful. It's not surprising that the ultimate fate is NICE inContact's Knowledgebase (albeit a good one). It's on par with the knowledge component of Zendesk, ServiceNow, which are a relatively minor part of a much larger solution. That's not a huge ROI for over a decade of work. I obviously wasn't privy to discussions at the board level, but overall I was highly disappointed that the strategy for a successful exit wasn't clear to us (or executed). - We collectively forgot we were an innovative SaaS company that could rapidly deliver value: Through a lack of serious investment in technology and a product vision that we could actually deliver (in a market where better-funded competitors copied what they needed from us and improved) our roadmap increasingly became a fantasy. The executive team was largely detached from the fact that product innovation, when it did occur, became year-long product cycles. The solution was to ignore the problem and desperately re-position our shrinking competitive feature set in a market that was rapidly outpacing us. We were blindsided by the importance of AI/ML in our space, and it shows, as some of our competitors (or similar companies in our space) that took the shift seriously are now considered unicorns (ex: Coveo). MindTouch was overall far too relaxed and complacent at all levels of the company. I'm not saying the company had to be a grind, but if you are going years without major product launches and no one sounds the alarm bells, then you have complacency. MindTouch needed some bay-area fire under it. Unfortunately, this attitude is sometimes pervasive in San Diego tech companies where the pace of life is slower.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Collaborative, fun, challenging (in a good way)

May 14, 2021 - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mindtouch has had its back up against the wall over the years but they've always managed to find a way to come out on top and I believe it's because they foster a highly collaborative environment. The folks there are hardworking, open-minded, and creative to finding new solutions. I greatly enjoyed my time working here. Also Aaron Rice LOVES it when you start in on him for his accent.

Cons

During my time we were still trying to figure out our sweet spot in the market, kind of stumbled our way through deals to get the job done (the job gets done but there needs to be better process and one that's able to be duplicated successfully)

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Employees, Disappointing Executives

May 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Worked with a bunch of passionate and talented people -Congrats to the Execs on a successful exit, you must be proud -Learned a lot of good things for my career

Cons

-Former employees who exercised stock options (we should have known better) were sent documents showing huge Exec bonus payout amounts for the acquisition while we all lost money on our investment -Even more employees were laid off when the deal was announced and current employees (even those there for years and years) got nothing -Learned a lot of disappointing things about what Execs can get away with

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

A sad, sad place to work

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Free lunch provided 3 days a week - until Covid closed the office - Easy walk down to the ocean - Because management didn't work too hard, expectations were pretty easy to achieve

Cons

- CEO, COO constantly told us we were all going to be rich once MindTouch was sold. Total lie. - COO played favorites so he promoted his buddies that were loyal to him. - Anybody that was a hard-charger left in 2019-2020. Company had a massive lay off in early 2020 blamed on Covid, but it turned out to be financial mismanagement that led to reduction.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Wondering Company

Aug 18, 2020 - Marketing Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team building, career building, always ways to move up in the company and take on more projects in a healthy way.

Cons

No cons, this is a wonderful company to work for.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Big Disappointment

Jun 4, 2020 - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office and snacks. Worker bees are cool and thoughtful towards each other.

Cons

The company has no North Star. They have been around awhile and have not evolved, grown the same rate as the market, expanded markets, nor thrived and I know why. Leadership and business strategy is as weak as it gets.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good culture, but a lot of turnover and uncertainty

Mar 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MindTouch has a great culture with a pretty good set perks and an amazing downtown office (except they only reimburse about 1/3 of your monthly parking fees). The work environment is pretty casual and relatively stress-free. Most of the people are friendly and smart and professional.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover at MindTouch. People are constantly leaving (or getting fired), which really makes it difficult to build any sort of continuity and momentum. People come and go and the strategy and plans keep changing. Also, about 15 people were just laid off this week which is a really heartless thing to do at a time when there is so much uncertainty with the coronavirus pandemic.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Smart, fun, well-balanced

Jun 4, 2019 - Vice President Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- All MindTouchers I work with genuinely want to do the right thing, and do things the right way - Office is really nice and fun location Downtown - Regular social activities and fun traditions - Smart people who are open to learning from one another - Great product, well engineered, and lots more potential

Cons

We're not completely through some of the ripples of past organizational changes yet, but I expect that to have settled down in a few months

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 69 Reviews

MindTouch, Inc. Reviews FAQs

MindTouch, Inc. has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 71 reviews left anonymously by employees. 70% of employees would recommend working at MindTouch, Inc. to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MindTouch, Inc. employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MindTouch, Inc.. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

70% of MindTouch, Inc. employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MindTouch, Inc. 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MindTouch, Inc. to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be benefits, senior leadership.