Mindbody Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

3.8
Mindbody CEO Josh McCarter
Josh McCarter
Pros
  • "They are a constant advocate of work/life balance(in 73 reviews)

• "MINDBODY encourages growth from within and lives up to its core values(in 56 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They do not live up to their core values(in 32 reviews)

• "Growing pains of a maturing, expanding business(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Best company i've ever worked for

Feb 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are valued and respected. Learning opportunities are provided and encouraged. Team mindset, people don't tread on others to get what they want. Feedback is welcomed at all levels. Strategic direction is communicated regularly.

Cons

Covid is limiting company results currently

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!

Apr 24, 2021 - Accounting Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere, people are friendly, company has many incentives like free snacks and exercise classes available throughout the day. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Not a lot of direction from supervisor so you need to be an independent self-starter.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of growing (and shrinking) pains, but overall, the work is satisfying

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel the company means it when they talk about wanting to create a safe environment for all employees -- they continue to show up and take feedback from staff on how their EDI practices could be better internally AND externally. So far, there seems to be a good balance between taking care of employees and being an efficient, profitable business. Certainly better than other jobs I've had.

Cons

If I were to leave the company, it would be due to specific personnel that are difficult to work with. There seem to be a few bad apples that leave negativity and chaos in their wake and there seems to be little to nothing being done by leadership to coach them and resolve the long-standing issues.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Don’t kill a good thing.

May 12, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

The majority of people are genuinely nice, hardworking, and intelligent. You will find friendship and business mentors across teams. Less red tape compared to other organizations of similar size. Mindbody has taken great steps to accelerate their product innovation and acknowledges that they need to actively improve customer’s product experience in order to remain a valid player amongst competitor products. The company story, vision/mission, and core values are shared on an ongoing basis.

Cons

The cult vibe still exists. You don’t realize it until you move on to another company and look back at all the weird interactions or behaviors demonstrated by many. If you make it known that you don’t agree with a team consensus then you will be treated like an outcast for having a unique or different opinion on a subject. Marketing, social media content, and the brand persona doesn’t always match the actual product and customer experience. Pricing isn’t on par with product. Customers will spend countless hours and workarounds just to get the product to do the bare minimum. Senior leadership still feels like bro culture. Execs and senior managers often give off a politician vibe. One month they will preach one direction, but the following month it is on to the next without any regard to what isn’t working well or why the direction has changed. Marketing has too many project management processes in place. The tool used to manage marketing projects and marketing tasks was designed to be self managed and has automations that can keep everyone on task. Countless meetings about project management and agile processes within marketing are a joke and waste of time. Management gives off the vibe that they are scared to make decisions without many levels of buy in. It wasn’t always this way, but the massive Covid layoff followed by mass exodus of strong leaders has left the company with managers that lack confidence and true business experience. Core values are not always followed by managers and that is often excused as long as it is aligned with Vista’s revenue expectations. Many positions and future jobs will continue to be moved to Pune and other international locations in order to maximize revenue and reduce company spend so don’t put a PR spin on this as being a DEI initiative or effort to attract top international talent. Be as transparent as possible about the future of certain teams and roles so people don’t waste their time carving a career path that will ultimately get derailed.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great before Covid-19

May 9, 2021 - Workplace Service Senior Administrative in Santa Maria, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Time off- Culture- Company events- training

Cons

No stock options- rarely promote to higher roles from within- job growth focus going to international locations Instead of USA so people are losing their jobs as roles change and US based locations close.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Review of Mindbody

Apr 17, 2021 - Media & Communications Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mindbody scores high in a host of areas, but where they really stand out is company culture, executive transparency, strength of middle management, work-life balance and career enhancement. I'll start with company culture and that area begins with their core values. Mindbody is a mission-driven company that relies on its core values to shape its company culture. Culture is one of those elements that is hard to define and explain, but you know it when you see it, and Mindbody checks the boxes with its laid back atmosphere, attention to employee wellness (you get a monthly wellness stipend), onsite fitness classes, onsite daycare, numerous leadership training modules, events and internal groups to join, and a bunch of other things that are too long to mention. For transparency, the executive leadership team routinely shares short, mid , and long term strategy, goals and objectives. They're upfront about wins and losses. They have a weekly meeting that highlights a specific area of the business that has important updates to share. The quarterly all hands is where they go into the direction of the business. Middle management at Mindbody is particularly strong across all divisions. They do an excellent job in hiring the right talent and often times promote from within for more senior roles. In work-life balance, Mindbody understands its employees need to decompress so they're cognizant of not burning out their workforce with absurd hours. If you need to leave early to pick up your kids at school or daycare, or need to leave early for another personal reason, they're not going to second guess it. It's a performance driven culture so if you've earned the trust of your manager and division head then they will work with you on making sure your workload isn't getting out of control and will make sure you feel supported. For career enhancement, there are a lot of opportunities that I can get into. For me, since I worked in marketing, I had a lot of visibility into nearly every corner of the business. It almost felt like I was an MBA student picking up bits and pieces of how a successful SaaS company is run. That visibility is invaluable in that it helped me perform my job at a more impactful clip. Part of this was how forthright Mindbody is with its strategy and direction. Overall, Mindbody is an excellent company. They operate in the wellness space so if that is of interest to you, this would be a company to certainly follow and monitor for any relevant jobs that might interest you.

Cons

Some cons relate to the fragmented workforce. They have offices throughout the U.S. and in some international markets (UK, India, AUS) so you do feel disconnected at times from colleagues that are overseas, or on the other side of the country. This is natural for companies that have scaled so it is more a product of their environment than anything else. One complaint that I heard about while I was at Mindbody is related to compensation. I felt like my compensation was in the good category, but I did feel as if I should have been earning more given the quality of work that I was producing and the additional responsibilities that I had taken on.

7. 4.0

Great company, limited opportunity

May 5, 2021 - Account Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, people, remote work available

Cons

Not a ton of room for growth

8. 3.0

Low Pay for Expectations

Feb 4, 2021 - Customer Support in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work is fairly manageable, remote work is nice, decent time off allocations.

Cons

Benefits got cut due to covid, very low pay for how much they expect us to do especially when you consider other agencies like the Trevor Project pay people $20 to start. Expectations increased during covid after laying off 700+ employees with no increase in compensation 11 months later.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Apr 23, 2021 - Project Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are wonderful and the company really cares about their employees.

Cons

Products could be better. There is no flexible work schedule like 4 10s or 9 80s.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This company puts your career first

Feb 2, 2021 - Software Engineer III
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have an abundance of learning opportunities, from online courses to mentorship programs. While this company is far from my first position as an engineer, it was the first company that created my career. They have taught me the meaning of great leadership and what it takes to create a strategy instead of an assembly line. They value employee input and it is displayed through routine skip-level meetings, promotions, and leadership learning opportunities.

Cons

We are severely lacking POC and women in upper level leadership and management. My mentor at the company recently asked me if I'd ever had a woman as a boss, it gave me pause because I have not. I would love a future at this company with more diversity at the upper level. There is no shortage of discussion about improving diversity, but I've yet to see any proof at the upper level.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 826 Reviews