Mindspark Interactive Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Allen and Eric Esterlis

Pros
  • They really focus on work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Friendly people, casual work environment, drive to succeed (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Bro corporate culture with no transparency or respect (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of diversification in the business model (in 3 reviews)

"Good Experience but unstable"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network (More than a year)

Pros

It was great getting to work on new products with a great team

Cons

Management didn't seem to have a long term vision and everything was always a fire.

Advice to Management

Give products and product owners a little more wiggle room

"Don't do it..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks are good, along with a decent work life balance.

Cons

No real processes to speak of.
    No transparency.
    Top line numbers show a negative slope.
    Continued rolling layoffs.
    Low moral.
    Anybody of caliber is leaving or has left.

Advice to Management

Develop a long term strategy.
    Stop with the rampant brotherhood/nepotism.

"I'd Rather Work in Hell With Gasoline Underwear On"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros other than a paycheck every other week

Cons

Inept management. BS products. Not exactly the place for establishing a budding professional career. Get the money, get in, get out!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Their ears and eyes are closer to the digital street that yours.

"The entire company is a corporate scam. Don't be fooled."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Earn a paycheck while you find your next position
    -Good place for boot lickers with marginal skill who use socializing and politics to get to the top.
    -Perfect company if you're not embarrassed by the fact that you work creating the most hated type of product chain on the internet, or don't care what despicable childish behavior you have to engage in .
    -Great place to work if you love creating products that have been antiquated since 2001. Not to mention a bunch of acquisition blunders where they purchased commercial software put to shame by freeware Google has been offering for a decade.

Cons

It would be a waste of time to go into all the specifics. Basically, no one here is seen as an asset. You're nothing but a means to an end. The 'leadership' are a group of friends working an elaborate ad sharing scheme in order to keep themselves hand over fist in cash. Stop looking at this as working for a software company, that's not the case in any way, shape or form. You're here to create useless adware apps that nickle and dime millions in ad revenue from larger companies. The quicker you get that through your head, the easier working here becomes. The happiest people here are the innocent kiddies who think they're IT hotshots working at a legit software firm.

The layoffs had nothing to do with the canned BS they've been hammering into us most of this year. Here and in the obviously canned responses on this page. The real reason is that some of our so called partners pinched off the money hose after they caught on to the hustle and constant technical issues. That's the truth. That's what happened. Then, in order to keep the margins the same, they laid off two groups. Those who didn't have political pull or friends in high places, and those who had been in their positions too long and had bloated salaries. It's not worth getting into the details but some of the cases were downright pathetic. Brown noses, petty office politics and bullies thrive here in ways you'd be hard pressed to witness anywhere else.

In a few days HR will throw a fake response onto this post. Expect it to be followed by a fake review to increase the average score. Which is actually very telling. We have a 2.8/5 score and a 50% CEO approval rate. Considering all the fake positive reviews and plastic responses....what does that tell you?

Hostile High School style bullying and politics
    Unprofessional disrespectful management
    Infantile culture of finger pointing and sniveling CYA behavior. Most departments teach their people this from day one
    Interdepartmental relations are almost war like
    Absolutely disgusting atmosphere to be in if you're a woman.
    About 50% of the talk you hear around the office is gossiping and bad mouthing other employees

People will lie and set you up in order to cover their own behinds. You have to learn to guard yourself from this very quickly

Advice to Management

Watching glassdoor is a common hobby among myself and the vast majority of employees throughout all IAC divisions. You know it. We know it. We pretty much even know exactly who's posting the canned replies at each location. There's nothing anyone can tell you that you don't already know.

Advice to co-workers would be update your skills and hit the road.

"Another Corporate Minion"

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time

Pros

The people are nice

Cons

I was also part of the layoff another reviewer mentioned. We were treated as bad as that individual stated: email sent 15 minutes before the meeting, shepparded into a room, and told our employment ended immediately. The layoff package was similarly poorly handled.

I disagree in that the executive management is bad, but the Directors are worse. You have two in product that doesn't know what products are, another in product that went on vacation during one of the largest product roll outs in company history (and barely managed it to suit), a bully (who they promoted to VP!) and finally another that steals the work of his employee and other departments (I hear his employee was laid off so, it'll be interesting to hear how he manages now. He was crap before her).

Advice to Management

To IAC, clean house.

Aug 29, 2016 – IAC Applications

We recently made some changes to position our Company for agility and further growth. In July, we restructured several of our teams to focus on areas of opportunity and as part of this restructuring ... More

"No transparency, no vision and short term thinking"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time

Pros

- Most of the people I worked directly with were smart and friendly.
    - Free snacks.
    - They try to use the latest tools

However, I would not recommend it even to my worst enemies.

Cons

The higher management treated the rest of employees as herd of cattle. There is no transparency at all, so the work environment is bit creepy where you never feel safe and settled in.

The hiring managers painted the picture that the company is doing great and wanted to expand because they have a lot features and ideas to build. However, after joining and leaving my other full time job, the higher management decided reduce expenses by cutting on resources. So I was laid off along with about 30 others.

Even the lay off process was unprofessional and disrespectful, and shows that they only care about much they can keep in there pocket. Everyone was called into one meeting and given a 5 minute speech informing us that it would be our last day of employment.

Using cutting technologies was great. However, there was disconnect on the actual requirements and some of the developers worked as solo cowboy coders, so it was hard to make code reusability.

Advice to Management

It's just cynical to hire new recruits just to lay them off after a couple of months. So maybe you should consider that when hiring while company stability is questionable.

Very basic apps no longer works for making revenue, so you should work on the quality of your apps and make people want to use them instead of consider them as spam.

Management should be transparent and respectful of employees.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great work life balance, casual and friendly atmosphere to work

Cons

Lack of diversification in the business model

"Designer"

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time

Pros

nice office environment, and talented people.

Cons

small minority of people that have been there forever controlling every move. too much turn-overs.
    Execs are firing and rehiring to meet their Corp #'s requirement

10. "Company is not doing good, lots of people leaving the company"

Current Employee - Spervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Spervisor in New York, NY

Pros

Free breakfast and snack all day. Thursdays summer drink. Company is a part of IAC group so you get all the benefits of IAC group. Good vacation and flexible work hours.

Cons

To get a promotion takes for ever. Management losing grip of the company. They don't really know what they are doing. When ever they lose some revenue, they start laying off their very good and honest employee.

Advice to Management

Think and plan harder and do not depend 100% on third party company. Build you own identity in the industry.

Apr 28, 2016 – IAC Applications

Thank you for sharing your general thoughts. Clearly, we can’t discuss confidential financials here, but I would encourage you to attend our bi-monthly employee meetings to learn about the ... More

"Company not doing well, avoid working here"

Former Employee - Developer in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Mindspark Interactive Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office environment
    Team work
    Professional coworkers

Cons

People are being laid off, more than 4 people were laid off in one day, among them are senior employees with 4+ years of employment. New people were recruited a few months ago, are told that their position has been eliminated, this is unacceptable if the company isn't doing well financially, you shouldn't be hiring employees in the first place.

The company isn't doing well, avoid working here if you can.

Apr 28, 2016 – IAC Applications

We recently repurposed and reduced resources in small pockets of our organization in order to focus on key areas of opportunity where we continue to hire. This was a proactive move to align our ... More