Mindvalley Reviews in Malaysia | Glassdoor

Mindvalley Malaysia Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Malaysia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing team of passionate people from literally around the world (in 7 reviews)

• If you are a personal growth geek this place is for you (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • company culture is not for everyone (in 6 reviews)

• You will never know what your career path is going (in 5 reviews)

1. "Application Developer Intern"

Current Intern - Applications Developer Intern in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Intern - Applications Developer Intern in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere, awesome people and great company goals and ambitions.

Cons

Vague hierarchy. You will never know what your career path is going.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

The biggest pro of working with Mindvalley are the amazing people you get to meet and work with. Everyone here has their unique story, passion for life and adds to the big diversity of the workplace. There's this one thing we've all got in common - learning self growth and spreading it to the rest of the world. Great majority of us make conscious effort to live a healthy and happy life every single day and it shows :-)

Cons

I think Mindvalley still needs to work on putting a better system in place for building a career path so that each employee knows how can they grow professionally and also how will they be rewarded for their good work (e.g. have clear guidelines on how you need to contribute to get a raise).

"Damn fast pace - be ready to keep up"

Current Employee - Business Development in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scale of operation is impressive. Everything you do has big impact. Working with some top partners in the industry. Really cool co workers. Love the management team and the way they are growing.

Cons

People get very emotional over projects. Many people hired here are strait from school, so they need to learn how the work world works. We are growing really fast so growing pains happen as we outgrow our legacy systems and processes.

Advice to Management

Don't spread our focus too thin. We need to keep focused on what we do great, and scale that!

"100% Agree with a Previous Reviewer so I'm reposting most of it"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros – Compared to any corporation this is still a pretty good company to work for (though not when you compare to what they promise).

1. You get some flexible time (less than in the past though). There's no fixed time really, you just have to be in the office whenever you obliged to and attend important meetings. Some time the meeting last hours if the CEO feels like ranting about his vision which keeps changing.

2. The team is mostly great - really, the people who work there are mostly cool, fun, easy-going and positive. I could count the people I didn't like on the fingers on one hand. As long as you don't get to work with Vishen you will be doing very well (more on that below).

3. The office spaces are cool, colorful, modern - some of the nicest offices to work in. Nice, colorful, pleasant design.

4. Located in Malaysia - great hub for traveling for all expats. Great weather throughout the year, beautiful islands in the region - Perhentian, Tioman, Langkawi etc. An ideal place to work if you're in your 20/30s.

5. Flexibility to learn what you want and choose to move between positions in the company. It wouldn't be a problem to grow and change positions if you demonstrated some results. It has now changed for the worse, but it still isn't bad.

Cons

I really want to smh because I read these Con's from the reviewer but chose to ignore it and worked there anyway.

So you're reading this and thinking - "it looks so great, so what's the problem?" And then you realize that most of the employees leave within 1-2 years MAX. Nearly all people employed for longer have already left the company. Super high turn around. You will see all of this if you ignore these cons and work there. However, this may not apply for people applying to Mobile, Tech, and Design because the leaders of those groups are amazing. Most of this stems from the CEO and a few other non-tech leaders.

1. Incompetence and indecisiveness at the helm. The company was doing way better with a dual leadership of two founders - Vishen and Mike. Now Vishen has taken over Mike's shares and the company has no logical direction. Vishen has the tendency to change his mind 10 times a week and set new, "strategic" goals for the company every single month. You don't really know where all of this is heading.This company boasts to have a great culture and flexibility but it has now eroded quite badly. Time is littered with useless meetings, which are only wasting time. Job doesn't get done.

2. Illusion of freedom. Sure, flexi-time might sound hip and cool, but what it results in is that people live in the illusion of freedom and feel they need to give something back to the company. That results in massive overtime which usually goes unpaid. (Before, Vishen encouraged people to become entrepreneurs, but that is no more... he is under the impression that he owns you and if you do any work remotely similar... even if it's volunteer work... he will claim it is Mindvalley's property). At one meeting, he even said that there is no chance for anyone to gain success on their own and that Mindvalley is their only shot of success...except for extreme cases of two former employees.)

3. Forced positive reviews: This happens all the time for apps and anything with Mindvalley's name on it. I witnessed bribery to review apps on iTunes and to complete surveys for awards like WorldBlu. This may also be the case for Glassdoor. I guarantee many of these positive reviews were requested by management. Hence they are all made around the same time... when the request was made!

3. Vishen Lakhiani - current boss of the company has probably been the reason of 90% of resignations in the last 3 years. He is disrespectful of people who are not "all over him", he is a micromanager, who disrupts everybody's workflow, by not following any plans and making a ton of changes "ad hoc".
    Finally, as some people mentioned, he will bad-mouth you behind your back once you leave or if you are still there!! I've seen this happen all the time!! He spread so many lies about people who quit (and are still there), it's unbelievable. If you don't have to work directly under Vishen, and working for the tech or customer service teams, then you may just have a better experience there if you ignore when Vishen says demotivating things during his rants.

Advice to Management

Vishen, it would be great if you could be a nicer person and engage with your employees naturally besides just throwing parties (which is cool but you tend to act awkward then too). There have been so many times where you just walk past employees without saying hi or even a smile to acknowledge their existence. When you are on stage you try to act like you are this cool person, but you don't realize that you inauthenticity is clear when you say certain things. You do need to change your style and stop bad-mouthing people behind your back and sometimes to their face! You have no idea what your current employees say about you in private and share with your network. If you don't have respect for other people, then people will have no respect for you.

"Great place to work! Very fun, young and international team!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MindValley has a great company culture, international team, lots of responsibilities, you learn a ton. It is very young and collaborative place. Your colleagues become very soon your friends.

Cons

Mindvalley is missing some company structure. Sometimes you are missing clear expectations from the management on your role or key deliverables.

Advice to Management

One advice would be to hire more local people to avoid to much turnover and ensure proper knowledge transfer.

"A really beautiful and life changing experience"

Former Employee - Content Creation Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Content Creation Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with Mindvalley for 2 years and I can honestly say that these 2 years were some of the best years of my life. It's crazy how much knowledge I accumulated while being here and how much I have grown, not just professionally but also personally.

The company has great culture and if you are willing and open to embrace it, it will shape you in a really beautiful way.

You meet really amazing people from all over the world and even though you're far away from home, you do feel like you have a family here.

The number 1 I love about this company is the fact that Vishen, the CEO, makes himself available to all and that he treats everyone with so much admiration, love and respect.

After you pass probation, you can even schedule 1 hour lunch with him and ask him for guidance and mentorship not only for the work you do in Mindvalley but your own business as well. I have worked in other companies abroad and I can tell you that none of them had something like this.

It's so refreshing to see someone as successful as he is, be so accessible, so humble, so modest and who cares about his employees as much as he does. (he even knows everyone's names). You tell him about your goals, dreams and intentions and he gets super excited about your dreams as if they are his own... You don't really meet people like this too often. Plus, he's a super inspiring person and you learn tons from working with him and also from simply observing him do his thing :)

Mindvalley shifts your mindset and it makes you aware of how much you can actually achieve and how there are no limits to what you can achieve except those you impose on yourself.

Other cool things about Mindvalley...

Ask Vishen - once every few months you have Ask Vishen where you can address any question you might have, anonymously, and he will answer it in front of the whole company

Learn Day - every month, there is Learn Day and during this day the whole company spends time studying. No work, just study :)

Whenever you want, you can just take a break to dance, sing, laugh, cry, etc. Not a boring office with boring people, that's for sure.

The office is beautifully designed and the energy is very positive and pleasant.

Team Retreat - every year the whole company goes on retreat for 4 days to a 5star hotel and everything is covered by Mindvalley

A-Fest - you can volunteer and go to A-Fest where you can meet some really amazing and influential people from all over the world

No hierarchy system. I never really felt like Vishen was my boss but more like a teacher and mentor. He treats people with love and compassion and like i said, he's very humble and modest. Also, the guy has a great sense of humor which makes work a lot more fun.

If you're smart and you come up with cool and innovative ideas, you are given the freedom and opportunity to build your own department...

Cons

I feel like the H.R. department needs improvement, salaries could be higher and managers could do some work on improving their soft skills :)

Advice to Management

Work on establishing a career framework to maximize your employee's potential

"Cannot imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, casual, lots of amazing ideas to learn from, amazing like-minded spiritual people and those seeking further personal growth (kinship), a company that dreams big and gives back which is very inspiring for personal and professional goals, trainings and education sharing between teams. Having worked in several companies before Mindvalley, I see a vast difference in how teams communicate, are run, and also interaction between employees. I feel I can truly express myself in this space, which makes me feel happy, and makes me do better work without dealing with tight protocols.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings that take place, which means you might have to squeeze time here and there to execute on your tasks, but I see this as an opportunity to learn more on a subject and also how the company is growing, which is a huge benefit and key learning on so many levels. So this can also be seen as a good thing based on mindset, but it's also thought me to be better organized and put several automated systems in place.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job, though I'd like to see them share management tips with each other so each can grow effectively.

"Mindvalley Mobile"

Current Employee - Mindvalley Mobile in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Mindvalley Mobile in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, the people around you, the culture, the vision are bound to amaze and energize you each day.Have been here just a few months and loving the positivity and the energy Mindvalley offers. Personally a huge fan of talent you get to meet and work with. If one were to notice the trend, mindvalley helps nurture the entrepreneurial spark in each employee and gives life to a new company, new idea almost every month.

Cons

Ideas are dime a dozen, its easy to feel completely lost. One must carry a mindset of a student and be prepared to learn the metrics and different caveats a role here has to offer.

Advice to Management

"A rare opportunity to be immersed in a dynamic and challenging environment, personally and professionally."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mindvalley has the most open and democratic cultured that I have come across.

If you have the passion and the will to contribute to the success of this company, nothing will stop you from excelling in this company.

There isn't much bureaucracy involved in processes in the company - a lot less than you would expect in a company of 100 employees. I think a lot of it is credited to the effort from the leadership team (CEO included) during "face times" with each and every team in the company. I think it is very commendable that leaders try their best to make sure everybody's ideas are heard.

Respect and recognitions are earned, not given.

People are very straight forward here. So, do expect to be shot down in front of others if you didn't do enough homework. This is not a place for people who expect to be spoon fed, nor for the faint hearted. And I admire the professionalism of lots of colleagues I've worked with.

Cons

You need to be "daring".

Dare to voice out, dare to take on criticisms and dare to put your professionalism on the line for things that you think is right. Else your voice/ideas might be drowned in the intensity and pace of operation.

Also, due to this reason, people who are out-spoken are the ones being noticed the most by leadership. The company tries to avoid favouritism but sometimes it just can't be avoided.

The CEO sometimes vitos upon ideas and plans upon strategic shifts.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it's hard to hear negativity from the employees. Yet sometimes there are valid reasons for people to complain. Sometimes.

Most of the time people just don't understand at the bottom of everything it's business. And the hardest job is for you to make sure that it is not just ...

10. "The biggest learning experience in my whole career"

Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome Learning Environment. I was given a lot of responsabilities from the very first day. I got to work with amazing talented people from more than 20 different countries. There was a lot fun and hard work.

Cons

I don't know how is it today but back in the day I saw some people struggle with some lack of structure, clear job descriptions, pretty normal things for a startup. Right now I know that has been fixed and taken to a whole new level. For me that gave me only opportunities to take more on and learn about more stuff! But if you are the normal "cubicle" type of guy that wants a boss to micromanage you, then this might not be your place... go work for IBM or something.