Mindvalley Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing team of passionate people from literally around the world" (in 7 reviews)

• "If you are a personal growth geek this place is for you" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "company culture is not for everyone" (in 6 reviews)

• "You will never know what your career path is going" (in 5 reviews)

"Good experience"

Pros

Good culture, values and leadership

Cons

A little unfocused at times

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career"

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up

- High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team

- Great local coworkers to work with and learn from.

- Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company.

- Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation

- Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc.

- There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con)

- Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong.

- Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear tactics and brainwashing. Stop pushing your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the barrage of bad ones early on. This forum is a place for people to voice their opinions. Opinions.

Mindvalley Response

Apr 15, 2015 – Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side... More

"Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
    - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
    - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
    - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
    - The space is simply beautiful!
    - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
    - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
    - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
    - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
    - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
    - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
    - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

There is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

"Great company overall, a little chaotic at times"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- steep learning curve from day 1
    - great colleagues and environment for work
    - full access to Mindvalley courses
    - full access to training that would help make your job easier
    - amazing offices
    - events and an active social life
    - flexible time - work from anywhere in the world
    - great work-life balance

Cons

- a lot of direction changes still; there are periods of stability followed by a bit of chaos. Can be demotivated at times, but also exciting, depending where you are
    - there are a few people that are in high level position but nobody knows what they’re doing or what value they create for the company. Very demotivating if you have the misfortune to work with them, as they tend to not have a clue about anything
    - despite the transparency and candor in the values, there are no true core values that represent Mindvalley. Or if they are, they’re not the ones we evaluate yearly

Advice to Management

Be more choosy in attaching people to high level jobs, they are making a mess (some have a track record of failures only).
    Define the real values of Mindvalley, that represent the current culture, not made up ones.

"Inspiring workplace and colleagues, awesome growth opportunities"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Inspired vision of the company future
    - Spending your working hours and putting your talents to the service of humanity.
    - Great possibility of growth, personally and professionally, if one steps up and takes the challenge
    - Great atmosphere and inclusive culture
    - Flexitime!
    - Employees constantly encouraged to grow, step up, create, come up with ideas
    - Crystal clarity as to what this company is all about, right from the beginning (even to newbies who are usually the last to be told anything in most companies), and a no-nonsense attitude to BS

Cons

Not exactly cons for many people, but definitely flags to be taken into account if thinking of applying for a job here:

- One needs to be very independent and confident in this company. Coddling and hand-holding is not a thing here so if you need that in your work, better not pack all your possessions and move across the world.
    - It was made very clear to us from the beginning that this is not a "job for life" and that we come here to fulfill a role as long as that role is needed. That is fine by me, I like reinvention, but if you're looking for stability and security, again, this is not where you will find it.

"Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Investment in the growth of employees, occasional parties, awesome office

Cons

Politics involved. Also, responsible people have little ownership over processes they own.

7. "Very grateful as a new person"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a newbie who has joined Mindvalley recently, I feel truly blessed to be a part of it - the way Mindvalley welcomes and educates new people, how it has designed the induction program is something that not many companies are doing. I feel a part of the mission, and I'm in the right place.

Cons

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of learning and activities I'm going through. But at the end of the day it's a good thing!

"Great place to grow and experience awesome office culture"

Former Employee - Launch Manager
    Former Employee - Launch Manager

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Flexible hours and vacation
    Tons of workshops and mini-trainings

Cons

You have to negotiate for a good salary (I heard the salaries are now competitive)

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kuala Selangor (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kuala Selangor (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has one of the best cultures, parties, friendly and diverse teams

Cons

Low Pay based on industry standards

"I just stay here for the money"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The payment is okay and at the moment I am too lazy to look for a different job. At least we do not kill anybody. Working for a tobaco company would feel even worse.

Cons

There is a danger of beeing brainwashed, if you stay here longer than a year or so. Mindvalley feels like a religious cult. Our main job is finding new customers who are in a difficult period of their lifes and sell them some expensive online courses that will not helf them at all.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourself too seriouly! You are not Jesus. It sounds quite creepy if you tell us that your brain is on a higher level of evolution than ours.