Mindvalley Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing team of passionate people from literally around the world (in 7 reviews)

• If you are a personal growth geek this place is for you (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • company culture is not for everyone (in 6 reviews)

• You will never know what your career path is going (in 5 reviews)

"Good experience"

Pros

Good culture, values and leadership

Cons

A little unfocused at times

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career"

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up

- High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team

- Great local coworkers to work with and learn from.

- Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company.

- Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation

- Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc.

- There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con)

- Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong.

- Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear tactics and brainwashing. Stop pushing your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the barrage of bad ones early on. This forum is a place for people to voice their opinions. Opinions.

Mindvalley Response

Apr 15, 2015 – Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side... More

"Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
    - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
    - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
    - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
    - The space is simply beautiful!
    - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
    - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
    - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
    - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
    - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
    - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
    - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

There is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

4. "Very grateful as a new person"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a newbie who has joined Mindvalley recently, I feel truly blessed to be a part of it - the way Mindvalley welcomes and educates new people, how it has designed the induction program is something that not many companies are doing. I feel a part of the mission, and I'm in the right place.

Cons

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of learning and activities I'm going through. But at the end of the day it's a good thing!

5. "Great place to grow and experience awesome office culture"

Former Employee - Launch Manager
    Former Employee - Launch Manager

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Flexible hours and vacation
    Tons of workshops and mini-trainings

Cons

You have to negotiate for a good salary (I heard the salaries are now competitive)

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kuala Selangor (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kuala Selangor (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has one of the best cultures, parties, friendly and diverse teams

Cons

Low Pay based on industry standards

"I just stay here for the money"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The payment is okay and at the moment I am too lazy to look for a different job. At least we do not kill anybody. Working for a tobaco company would feel even worse.

Cons

There is a danger of beeing brainwashed, if you stay here longer than a year or so. Mindvalley feels like a religious cult. Our main job is finding new customers who are in a difficult period of their lifes and sell them some expensive online courses that will not helf them at all.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourself too seriouly! You are not Jesus. It sounds quite creepy if you tell us that your brain is on a higher level of evolution than ours.

"When Work Feels Like Play"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mindvalley is an open playground.

What does this mean? You CAN grow fast, both skill wise and financially. BUT it will not be gifted to you. If you choose to add value and to be proactive, to contribute - you will grow.

I believe that people with a growth mindset will undergo a VERY rapid transformation in Mindvalley. And the best part? You choose whether this transformation is in the area of career, personal or both.

The people you will meet will feel like family very fast. Their hearts are golden and 99% of Mindvalley have huge visions for their lives. The kind of environment you will encounter is so so so good.

The office is nice (but not that important to me), the parties are great, we get to travel ("remote first"), there is TRUST... loving it.

Cons

As I mentioned above - no one will take your hand and be responsible for you. Only YOU are responsible. Depending on your personal development level AND your personality traits (how proactive are you?) it can be a challenging environment.

People will be there for you and give you love - But the people around you will keep on moving forward - There is no time being spend on complaining and blaming. This is great BUT can be challenging.

One other thing: The coffee could be better. Not a big negative, but still worth mentioning :D

One actual minus point: Our tech and marketing teams are quite disconnected. We are working on it and aware, but there is a lot work needed in that area.

Another thing that could be challenging: The speed we go at can be crazy at times. Great to grow fast, but NOT great to "relax".

Advice to Management

Management is doing well. It was a very good move to get very senior advisors on board and one thing: Vishen himself went through rapid growth in the last year, he learned a lot and improved his management style a LOT!

"Great environment to grow professionally and personally!"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture & values.
    Great people! From diverse cultures and backgrounds
    Fast-paced work environment.
    HR is great! Really take care of employees!
    Access to all the courses

Cons

Salary, Long application process, If you're uncomfortable with constant change

"Incredible experience for anyone looking to do impactful work & invest in personal transformation"

Current Employee - Head of Product Marketing in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Head of Product Marketing in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Founder, Vishen, genuinely believes in the products we create. He brings transformational education in his life first, then to his employees, and only after to it's customers. A company with this level of commitment to quality and brand promise is destined to shake up the education industry. Vishen have been a teacher and a mentor to many in the company. Even before joining Mindvalley I had been studying Mindvalley's educational content and it has had a massive impact in my personal & professional growth.

There is a strong focus on pushing our boundaries both personally and professionally the moment you are in touch with this organisation in any way (and in a BIG way if you are an employee)

I have had phenomenal growth in the company since 3 years, have purchased many external courses to improve our skills, been sent to attend business conferences for professional growth in different countries.

And at the same time I have been supported on many of my dream projects that have nothing to do with the company; Delivering a TEDx talk that has reached over 5.4 Million people, running my own business of delivering personal transformation conferences, flexibility of location for working as long as we are able to deliver our bottomlines.

If you are someone who wants to be in the cutting-edge of education industry, have a strong growth mindset and want to work for a company that has a mission to genuinely change the world, you will find Mindvalley as a dream company to work for.

Cons

If you are lookign for a stable 9-5 job with predictable work for atleast a year or more, then there will be fewer opportunities for you to work in the company. The media and marketing teams are constantly focused on innovations in their respective fields and the work and JDs constantly evolve.