Mindvalley Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing team of passionate people from literally around the world (in 8 reviews)

• If you are a personal growth geek this place is for you (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • company culture is not for everyone (in 6 reviews)

• You will never know what your career path is going (in 5 reviews)

"Good experience"

Pros

Good culture, values and leadership

Cons

A little unfocused at times

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career"

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up

- High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team

- Great local coworkers to work with and learn from.

- Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company.

- Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation

- Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc.

- There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con)

- Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong.

- Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear tactics and brainwashing. Stop pushing your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the barrage of bad ones early on. This forum is a place for people to voice their opinions. Opinions.

Mindvalley Response

Apr 15, 2015 – Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side... More

"Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
    - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
    - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
    - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
    - The space is simply beautiful!
    - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
    - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
    - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
    - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
    - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
    - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
    - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

There is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

4. "Ultimate Job Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Product Launch Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Product Launch Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel empowered to work and the best part it is doesnt even feel like work. I can speak to Vishen about anything and he's always available to hear form his employees. Also there is so much resources available to us to learn and master our skills. I am 10x more productive than i have ever been and i work with a bunch of awesome people that inspire me each day. It's so fulfilling.

Cons

The environment is very fast paced and if you are unable to cope with change then you will struggle here, but if you love innovation you will thrive.

Advice to Management

I love attending Vishen's talks so i would love to have more opportunities to attend them. And all employees should be given a chance to attend A-Fest. But overall, love this place and the culture here.

"Incredible - I've Found Home!"

Current Employee - Workplace Happiness Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Workplace Happiness Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the purpose, the passion: Mindvalley is an incredible, fast-paced, dynamic, fun, inclusive, loving, driven, ambitious, place to work. I love the people I work with - they're a family to me. Like a real family, my team have seen me cry, laugh, get upset, laugh it off, be joyful, all the while, celebrating with me.

When you have a CEO like Vishen, who opens up, is real, available (I WhatsApp him nearly everyday), shares his vulnerability with you, is super motivated and driven, this passes through to the team. The natural consequence of this: a tribe of love and unity!

Within a week of joining I felt my consciousness expanding, my heart growing, and my intelligence increase.

Mindvalley isn't for everyone though. If you don't like change, are adverse to personal growth, stuck in your ways, don't like community and connection, have trouble being assertive and speaking up, let your ego get attached to outcome, then perhaps there's somewhere better for you to work in your current state.

Cons

For me, there aren't any cons to working here. That said, like in life, we have our good days and bad days. Being a company that innovates incredibly fast, sometimes stuff happens. But we allow space for that. It's all in the perspective. 99% of my time here is amazing.

Advice to Management

Vishen, keep being you and showing up. Keep loving, keep sharing, keep connecting. We all love you and love when you're so real to us. When you share your fears, dreams, hopes, and desires in the real and authentic way you do, it gives me permission to do the same. Thank you.

6. "Payments"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Having the opportunity to touch base with the CEO and share amazing ideas
    - Working with positive people who encourages you to be happy and inspired
    - Experience culture days, celebrate diversity and have trainings and learn days with colleagues
    - Remote work is possible
    - Company respects time and encourages people to work on their dream projects and future life visions
    - To be able to try apply to new roles and create projects that matter to individuals and teams
    - Open communication to many teams and company strives to be better
    - People are helpful and inspiring every person you meet is interesting and unique
    - I have seen how my views evolved while I maintain my core values, people respect you for who you are as a human and as a part of the "tribe"
    - creativity, innovations and forward thinking is revered
    - support is given to all and it is every person's choice how much it is utilized

Cons

- If you are not open to changes and radical transformation this place is not for you
    - if you cannot work on your own or if you are not a team player you will have trouble adapting
    - if you are negative and lazy you will be miserable here
    - if you are perfectionist you may feel strange

Advice to Management

I have spoken with a few people who are under utilized. There are easy operational tasks that needs to be done and it may impede people who have exceptional skills. I understand why certain things are done this way and I can see how many people do their best all the time. The standards of ok work, good enough, competent, excellent is not clear. Some mistakes can be prevented and some great work (excellent results) may be overlooked. Overall I see a good foundation and at the rate it is going and the quality of people I have seen are getting better and better. I like the focus of lowering attrition rate and amazing opportunities for all. Proper documentation of Mistakes is necessary to avoid repetition

7. "The best company in the world"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company:

Company culture is absolutely astounding. They put so much effort into your development. They celebrate your culture, your strengths and achievements. You're always recognised for your successes. It is easy to navigate between the teams, and you can build a strong skillset in any area that you want as long as you're a culture fit. Mindvalley hires for the character and trains for the skill. Your colleagues will become your lifelong friends. You will take a leap in getting to know yourself. You will travel the world with their events. It's a beautiful journey where you grow and at the same time help push humanity forward. The beauty of working at Mindvalley is that you are working in a beautiful office with experts in digital marketing who are always willing to teach you. I've worked in a few corporations that are meant to be the best in the world, but Mindvalley easily beats them in almost every area.

CEO:

Vishen is very approachable. You can literally whatsapp him if you have a great idea, which is unheard of in other companies. You have a voice in Mindvalley no matter how long you have worked, which I really appreciate. CEO asks about your goals right when you join and then goes an extra mile to help you achieve them. I wanted to be better in marketing and public speaking and got a training in public speaking as well as a great book about marketing. Vishen is very transparent and open to feedback. He's a great visionary who motivates and inspires the entire company. And the most beautiful part is that the CEO and company actually care about you and you can feel it in every aspect.

Cons

Sometimes working flexi time can mean that you work after 8pm, but in general it balances out.

Advice to Management

I am satisfied with the management style and methods.

8. "It's Not A Job, It's A Lifestyle"

I have been working at Mindvalley part-time

Pros

Mindvalley is an immersive, progressive and holistically rewarding place to work.

It's an excellent opportunity for people who want to learn world-class marketing, branding and tech in a fast-paced startup-style environment.

Experimentation and breaking stuff isn't just encouraged, it's expected.

The company's mission is to elevate a billion lives, and Vishen will also take a keen interest in yours by investing in your personal and professional growth.

Every job has its perks - the perk here is you get to take some of the best personal growth and wellness courses in the world, like Lifebook, Wildfit, The Silva Method, etc.

Another advantage is you get to work and live with amazing people from all over the world - I've made so many friends from countries I'd never even think of visiting in the past.

Cons

Some in the executive team have a tendency for micromanagement.

The pace can get a bit chaotic at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

9. "My family away from the family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work every single day. It truely is my family away from my family. The people I work with are not just my colleagues, but they are my best friends. Mindvalley is a place where you can really discover your self (professionally and personally). You have direct access to anyone (including the CEO) even if you are the most junior person. In Mindvalley everyone genuinely cares about you. You can clearly see how your work directly impacts the customers and the business.

Cons

If you are someone who prefers a slow paced job, then mindvalley isn't for you.

10. "Great Place to work"

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

Had an opportunity to work with amazing team

Cons

Company benefits mostly attract young people