KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 191 of over 200 reviews

4.1
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani
Pros
  • "They are not your run of the mill personal growth company(in 24 reviews)

• "To Vishen, Thank you for reminding me that I’m more than just a regular Pakistani Software Engineer(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In Mindvalley you're one text away from the CEO(in 45 reviews)

• "Its quarantine in our Mindvalley HQ in Malaysia mostly the past year and going out of the country back home is a bit of a hassle(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,873

959 Comments

Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good experience

Sep 28, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, values and leadership

Cons

A little unfocused at times

11 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0

A Tone Deaf Company on Your Resume

Apr 23, 2021 - Content Marketer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world. Some people might even recognize Mindvalley on your resume and be impressed.. until you discuss the pain points this company will always have (especially if Vishen Lakhiani is leading it)

Cons

-Very low pay. I’ve met senior level folks pushed into entry-level roles and making less than $1000.. a MONTH -No real work/life balance. They’ve created a culture that praises those always on the clock and discrediting anyone taking days off for their mental health, let alone just because they deserve to -Unrealistic and inequitable roles and responsibilities. Project marketers are expected to manage more than most are equipped to. Video editors and producers are rarely promoted (unless they’re a long time favorite). Copywriters and content marketers are nit picked and micromanaged. Plus, your team lead/manager? Least likely to know how to actually run a team — it’s just given to the person who takes the most sh*t -The CEO & founder, Vishen Lakhiani. You can find complaints about his misbehaviors anywhere you look, but don’t expect all of your coworkers to admit that. Everything at Mindvalley runs through Vishen so you honestly can’t be surprised when you’re being gaslighted — trust me though, everyone experiences it. He’s narcissistic and a smooth talker who’s convincing enough to sell you any job role he creates. Even when it’s tone deaf (like documenting Black stories for praise but also dropping the “N” word at the office)

22 people found this review helpful

Mindvalley Response

HR Team

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate feedback, even a tough one like yours. Reading through the reviews of any company, one is bound to find some negative ones. Usually they're about money, work-life balance and sometimes managers. Let's address those for a second before moving on to the bigger point you raised. One of the great things that led Mindvalley to be widely known is the ability to accelerate the career growth of our employees. In other words, we often hire entry level driven individuals and we train them to become business people. Sometimes we hire people with no experience at all purely based on their character and then increase their salary only 6 months later. We believe in giving people chances to grow, and that those who do grow should be rewarded. As far as work/life balance goes, we have a culture of 'getting the job done'. As you probably know we do not mind when you work or from where (within reason, we don't like working in silos!), as long as the job gets done. We trust people to do what's right and encourage personal ownership. It's hard to see how we would 'discredit anyone taking days off for their mental health', which frankly seems miles off our company culture. Having said that, we understand. You probably didn't have a good experience working here and we can only acknowledge it and continue to improve over time. Our biggest issue with everything you said is the BIPOC comment. Mindvalley is one of the most diverse companies on the planet. We have over 50 nationalities from all over the world. Our skin colours are different, our religions are different, our sexual orientations are different and our homes all look different from each other. But you know what's not different? Our belief in Unity. We believe that we are all connected via our humanity and none of those things matter. And for all of you reading this reply, yes, we do take our diversity seriously. What can we say? We're very proud of it.

3. 1.0

Pretty girls only

Jun 20, 2021 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice co workers and some great courses

Cons

They only hire pretty girls? Can you guess why? Yes, you are right. Me too cubed.

10 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career

Jul 27, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up - High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team - Great local coworkers to work with and learn from. - Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company. - Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation - Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc. - There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con) - Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong. - Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

135 people found this review helpful

Mindvalley Response

Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback! 1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side projects that would be in compettion with the time invested at Mindvalley. If a candidate has a side project or plans to launch a business on the side, this should be disclosed during the interview to ensure that it will not be in conflict with his or her dedication to the company. 2. "Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation" – The CEO does not intervene with the personal lives of his employees. As illustrated in point #1 above, Mindvalley will only question a side project or business if it breaches the employee contract and abuses the Mindvalley brand. 3. "There is little substance behind many of the projects you see on Mindvalley.com". These specific projects are under development, hence why we included a tentative (future) deadline for them. We featured these projects on our homepage to showcase how we're moving towards our mission statement and keep other details secret for corporate and competitive reasons. 4. "Marketers and management are inexperienced..." – This is true in several cases and we learned this the hard way after experimenting with our recruitment process. The CEO stopped doing interviews for a short period and as a result we dropped the ball on hiring culture fits. We've now tightened our recruitment process and are proud to say that we now have an incredible team of rock-star performers :-) 5. "Thrown others under the bus when things go wrong" – This is a subjective matter and we're not sure of the incident highlighted. 6. "Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown." In cases where we've had to let an employee go, we work by the 'compassionate firing' policy and announce as resignation. However there is one exception – should the employee be fired for severe lack of intergity (such as theft, corruption or policy abuse), we choose the transparent road as we practice candor with our employees. Please note that Malaysia, where our HQ is based, practices an employee-friendly labor policy. No employee can be fired immmediately unless it's a matter of integrity. Firing on the basis of poor performance can take months as legal paperwork, suspension letters, review process are required by law. It’s important for us to keep an open communication with our team, especially where integrity issues (that can harm the dynamics of the team and ultimately, the company) are concerned. Mindvalley is very protective of its culture and people. With hundreds of candidates applying each year for our vacancies, there's bound to be a blind spot during recruitment. When this happens, the culture does not hesitate to take action. A cultural fit is important to ensure we are hiring the right person for the job, to avoid disengagement and loss of productivity.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!

Sep 1, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not. - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning - The space is simply beautiful! - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them) - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not). - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech) - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money! - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike. - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level. - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

75 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee

False Advertising

Aug 5, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love many of my coworkers and I enjoy working from home. Not much else positive to say at this point.

Cons

I have been with Lifebook from the very beginning- I have seen many qualified and talented people be let go based on unfair criteria and gossip among the "leaders"- people who are supposed to be creating their best lives and sharing them with others. You are not paid for how much work you are expected to complete. The owners have unrealistic expectations for an overpriced product.

23 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company with a great culture

Jan 2, 2022 - Customer Support Specialist in Tallinn
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the best people working there: talented, open, smart, from various countries, religions and backgrounds. Great values and the company does try to live by them. A multitude of awesome company events. Working in Kuala Lumpur was a true joy.

Cons

Salaries are industry average, more or less. Some may consider this a turn-off, however the company can offer so much more than just a paycheck.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Take the good, leave the bad

Nov 20, 2021 - Product Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The amount that you will learn is invaluable if you place yourself well within the company - The people you become friends with are friends for life

Cons

- The company is run without someone who owns business acumen and hence despite achieving an outstanding marketing model, driving it to become a successful business model is something Mindvalley have not yet figured out. - Start ups are known to pivot their focus more frequently than a grounded business and Mindvalley are no stranger to this concept. However, this company is no longer a start up (something that needs to be accepted) and needs to have a stronger foundation built in order to withstand any shakes that may come their way. - The work culture is a fear based culture, and is unstructured. Granted they are trying their very best to structure it now however after years of running a business a certain way, you can imagine old habits die hard. -

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0

Not the place to be

Jan 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues, great work culture, pays higher than the industry average in Malaysia.

Cons

It's a company that revolves around a single person - the CEO. That's still fine if the CEO is a charismatic industry leader that listens to his team and builds the company in the best interests of the collective, but that is NOT Vishen Lakhiani. Want a pay raise? Want a clear career progression? Want to remain employed for at least the foreseeable future? Sure - just remember to keep texting idears to the CEO, preferably on a Sunday afternoon. That's the core problem with Mindvalley, it doesn't protect itself from Vishen. They've built an environment where he has - and compulsively needs - access to everything, at all times, period. And he has the power to change everything in an instant too. If you don't impress him, that can have tremendous consequences - whether it's completely exploding at you in a team meeting, or immediately dismissing you and (possibly) violating Malaysia's labor laws. Don't take my word for it - go ask anyone who joined Mindvalley in the last two years about the mass exodus of people who "voluntarily resigned" in 2020. Mindvalley is NOT the Mecca of healthy work-culture; it's a place of false positivity where people are forced to ignore the giant elephant in the room, which is you constantly thinking "How can this impress Vishen?" instead of "How can this improve Mindvalley?" That's the heartbreaking part. Mindvalley gets so many things right, and it would have been one of the best places to work in if only Vishen could leave things alone and trust his team.

32 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Place to Grow Both Personally & Professionally

Mar 17, 2021 - Chief of Staff in Barcelona
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mindvalley allowed me to find my niche and fulfilment in my work. Imagine a company that invests in you and trusts your abilities despite the fact that on the job interview the answer you gave to the question: "What do you want to do?" is a vulnerable and honest "I am not sure yet". Within 1 year, I wasn't only able to find what I truly love doing, but I also launched my own company on the side based on everything I've learned. This company culture inspires you to become a better person, and experiment with projects on the side. The people are absolute GEMS. They aren't only co-workers, they're family. I feel inspired, safe and cared for.

Cons

It's not a CON but no matter where you go, or what you do in life, there are conflicts, disagreements, tensions sometimes. It's life. It's just us being humans. In Mindvalley you're one text away from the CEO. In this environment you're encouraged to be honest and share your feelings, and if something doesn't sit right for you, you can talk to the CEO directly and he will listen to you, genuinely care about you and help you. Trust me, I know him very well.

1 person found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 191 Reviews

Mindvalley Reviews FAQs

81% of Mindvalley employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Mindvalley 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Mindvalley to be career development, culture, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Mindvalley Job Seekers