Mindvalley Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani

Pros
  • Amazing team of passionate people from literally around the world (in 7 reviews)

• If you are a personal growth geek this place is for you (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You will never know what your career path is going (in 5 reviews)

• Mindvalley is still growing, so people should expect to experience some growing pains (in 5 reviews)

"Good experience"

Pros

Good culture, values and leadership

Cons

A little unfocused at times

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career"

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up

- High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team

- Great local coworkers to work with and learn from.

- Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company.

- Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation

- Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc.

- There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con)

- Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong.

- Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear tactics and brainwashing. Stop pushing your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the barrage of bad ones early on. This forum is a place for people to voice their opinions. Opinions.

Mindvalley Response

Apr 15, 2015 – Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback! 1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side ... More

"Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
    - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
    - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
    - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
    - The space is simply beautiful!
    - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
    - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
    - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
    - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
    - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
    - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
    - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

There is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

"Your experience is up to you, but you have all opportunities to grow"

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Value-based culture: selection based on values does this magic that you're always surrounded by people who share your values.
    - You can bring innovations, suggest ideas and change the way company works if it makes sense, it's an environment where everyone can tell their opinion
    - Learning is the way of working - every person is learning and brining something new from outside, sharing knowledge.
    - Company is strong in digital marketing, design, events, tech, films, learning curriculum, content creation, vision, culture.
    - Collaborative environment, you can learn from any team, if you see that project requires cross-functional work, it's possible to make it happen.
    - Great Mission that makes you think bigger, act bigger and be more.
    - Tech team is awesome.

Cons

- Don't expect a linear career path, you will be given all the support but not strait guide what is your next step, you'll have variety of options to grow, but no one will decide it for you.
    - You have to take responsibility for your growth and growth of your team, be an intrepreneur, it will require courage and work, but all your ideas can be heard. You will work with smart talents across the globe, so you need to prove yourself and also learn how to work with others.
    - It's not about stability and comfort zone, company is changing fast, that's why you should be ok to be in the fast-phase growing environment. That's why you might face moments of uncertainty, your team can be restructured or new project might become a priority, so it's always depends on you how you adapt to those changes.

Advice to Management

- Continue improving processes and management, it will help company scale

"Life changing work experience"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have joined Mindvalley in February 2017. It has been absolutely amazing experience. The culture, products, community and work space is something I have never experienced before. I came to Mindvalley with a big vision and I was trusted and supported to create even more than I was hoping. The company pushed me to not only evolve as a person but also as a leader. In only 3 months of my work in Mindvalley I was recognised for my achievements and promoted to Strategy Council - Leadership. I am very grateful for all trust and encouragement. I am woman and it is not always easy to be recognised and promoted. Mindvalley is a place where there is definitely a gender equality and women empowerment. I encourage all senior women to apply for a job in this company!

Cons

In order to feel good in this company you need to be comfortable with a creative mess and very fast dynamics :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing whatever you are doing Guys! You are evolving amazingly fast!

"Transformation is happening at Mindvalley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Mindvalley around 2 years and I hardly can put together in one review or one story all positive changes and transformation that happened with me over this two years. It may sound cheesy but compare to 3 other companies I previously had been working for, my growth here is enormous. Environment and people always keep pushing me forward and challenge to evolve. The culture that exists in the company has shifted my way of thinking getting me out of comfort zone. Flexibility and beautiful working space keep my focus and creativity sharp.

Cons

Salaries and promotion plan can be improved but Mindvalley is getting there with the last career growth model updates.

8. "Hands down best working place I have ever experienced"

Current Employee - Growth Hacker in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Growth Hacker in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- In my opinion, the number one reason to join Mindvalley is people. I have worked for companies like Apple, but I have never found such a multicultural and passionate crowd of people to work with. Every single person in the company is interesting and very mission driven. This allows you to learn so much from each one of your teammates and to grow day by day.

- Mindvalley fosters a culture of entrepreneurship. Personal initiative is highly encouraged and rewarded. If you are looking for a company that allow you to be without many boundaries and discover and innovate, Mindvalley is the place to be

- Amazing perks. Mindvalley has a very flexible culture. It's very easy to work from home or from an exotic location, taking leaves or working during holidays. It has one of the best offices that I have ever seen and very good occasion for the entire team to bond. Moreover, you have great access to so many educational resources (all Mindvalley course, any books you want and additional courses can be requested).

- Mindvalley mission is inspiring, to say the least. And as an employee, I completely felt the way I changed as a person thanks to its environment and products

- Values and Transparency. The whole company and its founder are very driven by value. In my entire time here I never felt that any decision wasn't taken without thinking about the value we stand for first. The company is very transparent in sharing salaries and financial results.

Last but not the least, there is a huge focus on woman empowerment and I'm amazed by that. There is complete transparency on salary gap (which is basically zero) and every month there is a new initiative on empowering woman and transforming them into amazing leaders. If all the company in the world would do a quarter of what Mindvalley is doing in term of woman empowerment, the term gender inequality will be remembered as a historical mistake, like we do today for slavery or holocaust.

Cons

- Internally we described Mindvalley has a "creative chaos". If you are expecting a structured company with policies and rigid rules, this is not the place for you. Mindvalley is extremely flexible (sometimes even too much) and decisions can be changed constantly. As this can be seen as a problem, I personally think it is also one of the main engines of the company.

- Salaries. If you are looking for a job with a high paying salary, Mindvalley is not the place for you. I personally cut my salary by 4 times to join, but personally, I couldn't care less. The learnings I got in return from this year I have spent here are much more valuable than anything else

- Mindvalley is a very entrepreneurial company. Which means that if you are a profile that needs a lot of directions and helps to perform, this might not be the place for you. In Mindvalley you learn by doing, by exploring and by working hard. This can also mean that in few years you might already become the biggest expert in the company on a certain area.

Advice to Management

Keep going like this. Be even crazier, bold and ready to rock the world.
    Maybe the only advice that I would give to the management is to hire some more senior people to keep the benchmark of the people in the company higher and higher.

"You will be frustrated and jaded, but it just might be worth it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

1. The People: I met some of the best friends I've ever made in Mindvalley, and they were exceptional to work with. I now have a network of incredible individuals from 40+ countries around the World, in a myriad of tech fields, and that's almost worth it on it's own.

2. The Freedom: Depending on your role, you'll have a ton of opportunities to travel around SEA, work from home when you feel like it, and set your own goals/KPI's (all reviewed and agreed upon in your team)

3. The Why: Every week, you see emails from customers whose lives you've had a hand in changing. These emails, if received by most other companies, would be framed and hung on the wall in the front hall. If Mindvalley did that with every loving and praiseworthy email, the whole office would be covered. All 5 of them.

4. The Experience: For many, Malaysia is a new start, and the years there were some of the best of my life. You can work nomadically, you can go to Thailand for $50 for a quick weekend getaway, and you'll leave with a laundry list of incredibly talented, amazing friends.

Think of it this way: Almost everyone there is the type of person who is willing to put it all on the line and move to a country that they've never been to, to work for a company that has a mission that they relate to. A-type personalities all around.

Cons

I watched some of the most cheerful, spectacular and excitable people get churned into demotivated, embittered shells of their former selves after a year or two at Mindvalley. It was incredibly sad to see.

1. Micromanagement from the CEO: Vishen is both the best and the worst thing that is at Mindvalley right now. His internet marketing skills are nearly second to none, and his on-camera skills are fantastic, but he is constantly getting in the way of forward growth by nitpicking each and every decision that is made by the people he hires. This instills a lack of confidence in employees and it makes them feel like they're slamming their head against the wall over and over. Especially when it's a request straight from the CEO that he changes his mind on or denies altogether.

Hire a COO to take care of all of the office activities and get the CEO to go keep rocking it as the face of Mindvalley!

Record your meetings and take good notes on what the CEO says.

2. Meetings: So. Many. Meetings. You can hardly get anything done at the office because of so many inconsequential meetings, and then you find yourself needing to work unpaid overtime to make up for it all. Which brings me to....

3. Poor Compensation (depending where you're from): I see a lot of information about not being paid well on here, but we have to keep in mind that it's very subjective. While I was in Malaysia, the money we were being paid was decent enough. It was enough to have a nice place (with 2 roommates), go travelling around SEA, and have fun while living there. Unfortunately, I am from a place where the Malaysian Ringitt is nowhere near as valuable as my local currency, and this was simply unsustainable. Flying back home was 3/4 of a whole month's salary, and that's before I even landed.

So, if you're planning on living somewhere that has a cost of living similar to Kuala Lumpur, then you'll do great. If not, then don't plan on staying too long.

A lot of young people apply here who do not know how to negotiate, so don't be afraid to ask for more in the final interview, and to ask often once you get there.

4. Favoritism: The leadership team (especially CEO) very much likes to play favorites, and this comes with tons of benefits. Trips to A-fest (semi-annual event from Mindvalley), raises, and promotions go to those who spend the most time working with Vishen. If you're joining in, be sure to get on his good side.

5. Lack of Motivation: The average employee at Mindvalley has a shelf life of 2 years because they realize that the amount of room at the top is limited. When you get a promotion, that comes with about a 10-15% pay increase and easily double the work.

6. Not hiring senior talent: In a company full of 23-28 year olds, there needs to be some experienced talent at the head of the ship. I watched many applications from these types of people come in, but never saw them get hired. I speculate that it was likely the lack of compensation that they were able to give because they've never been funded.

7. Practice what you preach: The idea behind most of their programs involve loving yourself and others, but there are countless times that I've witnessed management, and specifically the CEO, put down others around him and make them feel stupid.

I can think of many times, but one time specifically involved myself speaking with the CEO and him telling me that things were all good and that he was happy to have me there, but then hearing that earlier in that same day that he was saying the complete opposite to some co-workers of mine.

Word travels fast at Mindvalley.

Advice to Management

Get funded. You'll never "impact a billion lives" until the CEO is able to give up creative control, swallow his pride, and take some investment on.

Also, don't have a meeting where you go over a bad Glassdoor review and get your employees to go write good ones on the same day (again).

10. "Manager (employee for over 5 years)"

Current Employee - Media Design Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Media Design Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to be if you're genuinely passionate about the company's mission and vision. Mindvalley has been dedicating itself to design and curate better courses over the years.

The market can be dodgy but the company is determined to present itself as relevant with much sophistication. Hence the constant uplevel in design in all areas.

It's definitely a place for people who chase constant improvements and innovations.

CEO is a great personal who has got an inspiring mission and foremost always true and transparent to his employees about the direction of the company. It's not hard to catch a session with the CEO himself to share our thoughts and ideas. He made himself pretty available for all his employees.

Love the culture diversity in the company. Fair on gender equality. It's a great place where you'll find great peer support as well.

Cons

The company needs a unified managerial standard across all managers in the company.

All on-ramping managers/current managers would benefit if everyone went through a same set of trainings beforehand.

"Mindvalley needs to fix its promotion, performance and gender equality issues"

I have been working at Mindvalley (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place full of learning opportunities, really inspiring mission and products and courses become more and more better and relevant to the world.

Cons

Promotion criteria are not well-defined and communicated across the company. Specifically for the high-level roles - recent changes in executive (or) leadership team don't have clear articulation based on what criteria these people were promoted. And sadly, all of the members of this team are men who are first of all great politicians and mostly have their own personal agenda. One of them is the person who worked in the company 5+ years and still gets his way to the top through masterful political movements, manipulation, gossips, demoting other people or getting them leave. Unfortunately, it's impossible for a woman to get to the top level at Mindvalley.