Ministry of the Attorney General Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ministry of the Attorney General Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur
Madeleine Meilleur

1. "Just a thought"

Current Employee - Court Service Officer in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Court Service Officer in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ministry of the Attorney General part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team work, with a good variety of skills.

Cons

A lot of contracts and fixed positions with no chance for full time work

Advice to Management

Look at hiring more full time and keep up good work

2. "Great Chance for Advancement and Educaiton"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ministry of the Attorney General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The provincial government gives a lot of opportunities for advancement and courses to improve your skill set. The unions are wonderful and always have your back.

Cons

There is a lot of nepotism. At times advancement can be determined by who you know.

3. "Good benefits, secure, but unmotivating"

Current Employee - Court Monitor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Court Monitor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ministry of the Attorney General full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is tons of security with this job and good benefits -- 13 stat holidays, for instance, and four weeks of vacation after I think it's 7 or 8 years of work. Once you're in, you're in.

Cons

Very little reward for going above and beyond -- or even working hard, for that matter. A culture where a lot of people complain.

5. "Legal secretay"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ministry of the Attorney General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours to assist with a work/life balance. Minimal supervision. Some really great staff made the days really fun. Benefits are great!

Cons

Minimal advancement. Some staff were really difficult to work with and deal with. Some bad apples ruin the bunch, unfortunately. No raises, or minimal percentage of raises.

Advice to Management

Try to be more approachable and understanding of the needs of your staff. There should be no favoritism.

6. "retired last year, was the best 28 years of my working career"

Former Employee - Assistant Deputy Warden in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Deputy Warden in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

Pros

great training, good salary, great benefits, great pension, freedom to make change to your work, good opportunities for working with other ministries, ability to relocate within the province

Cons

heavy work loads paid for 35 hours weekly normally work at least 45 hours. would be nice to have a 40 hour work week and improve total pay.

Advice to Management

continue investing in your staff they will always be your best asset.

7. "Reporting Girl"

Current Contractor - Court Reporter in Timmins, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Court Reporter in Timmins, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ministry of the Attorney General as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and staff are great. The things you hear in the courtroom that you obviously keep to yourself, sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face and other times its hard not to shed a tear.
    I feel as if one day I could write a book.. One day I am going to write a book! It will reflect the lives of court reporters and things nobody would expect go down in a court room, the lives ruined and the lives uplifted, keeping everything in discretion of course.
    The wage is a pro
    The time you start at is a pro

Cons

Definitely the hours! I know it's nothing they can do about the length of court hours but instead of having Court Reports leave all the time due to shortage of hours they should have things for them to do when court is over.
    Sometimes it can get a little overwhelming getting to know the whole staff

Advice to Management

Don't lose patience with new trainees as there is a lot to learn

"Court Monitor (or reporter)"

Current Employee - Court Reporter in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Court Reporter in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ministry of the Attorney General part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Each day is different from family court matters to criminal court to bail court, etc. You never know what you're going to hear. Considered most important job in the courtroom - recording and maintaining "the record".

Cons

19.16 hours weekly/1,000-hour annually. Mostly kept to those hours. If over, not by much. 10% overage allowed before overtime attributed. Basically on call 5 days a week, but can work 3 or 4 days out of 5. A second job doesn't work. Transcript production is separate. Privatized in 2014. Independent contractor/own business.

Advice to Management

They already know, but don't care. High turnover rate, and lose good staff to full time positions. Requires constant training of new people. Benefits are pro-rated to part-time hours, so you have to pay a monthly contribution towards. Pensionable earnings are lower too naturally, and can't depend on for retirement. Management doesn't care about front line workers, and it's a shame. As the years go by (I've been there for 10), I've seen things get worse, and more and more clawed back from what we once had.

9. "Web Developer at the Attorney Generals office"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ministry of the Attorney General full-time

Pros

Great people. Very friendly. Enjoy working here.

Cons

There are no downsides to working here.

10. "Court Reporter"

Current Contractor - Court Reporter in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Court Reporter in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great location for me, Ontario Court of Justice, 1911 Eglinton Avenue, Scarborough. I really enjoy being in the criminal court! After many years of working in the civil realm, I feel much happier on the criminal side of Ontario law.
    The staff are all very nice people.

Cons

Our actual recording/note-taking system is not very good. I have heard the lawyers and the judiciary complain about the quality of the transcripts.
    The lawyers and clerks do not spell things for the record, which makes it difficult for us. It is difficult to stop them, sometimes impossible.
     Also we have no spell check and no access to the Internet on our system at all. This means if a transcript is needed, the typist will be responsible for looking up names, streets, case law, etc. This isn't fair to them and makes the transcripts less accurate.
    Also I would really love to have more hours. This week I am only scheduled in one day!
    There are five reporters that are new at the courthouse. Four of us have very few hours.
    The fifth is the newest reporter and is on a 1,000 hour contract, so works more hours than the rest of us do. The four of us don't know how this has happened, as we are always looking at the postings hoping to get a position with guaranteed hours.

Advice to Management

I think there should be better communication. Since our superiors have never been court reporters, they don't seem to relate to our problems.
    I would like to have meetings to discuss our issues, voice our concerns.
    I would like to know if I am doing a good job, if I can improve. There has been no feedback given to me, except one audit done at the beginning of my hire. I was hired in January 2015.

11. "articling student"

Current Contractor - Articling Student in Midtown Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Articling Student in Midtown Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

good work life balance most times

Cons

all contract work, not a lot of structure/guidance

Advice to Management

hire permanent positions